Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:37 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Looking to get a 340PD (J-Frame 357) and wondering how durable they are? I have heard of issues with the cylinder coating, but nothing regarding the overall robustness.

I know they kick like a mule, I just want a light pocket gun.

Anyone with some experience?

Thanks,

John

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:47 pm 

I have one as my backup gun, not many rounds through it. Maybe 300.
Daily pocket carry since Dec. I have not had any issues with it, finish or otherwise. I did replace the rubber grips with some stock wood grips I had laying around.
The magnums do sting a bit, but not all that bad. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:53 pm 

I have two of the "Scandium" (really more aluminum in the alloy than anything else) Centennial J-frames, one with the fiberoptic front sight, the other with the standard sight. One wears Crimson Trace laser grips, the other the rubber Uncle Mike's J-frame grip.
Each has been used only for pocket carry.

Both have relatively heavy trigger actions,
apparently a feature of the breed.
Both have been fired with many .357 Magnum 125gr JHP loads, and found wanting in precision with all of these loads.

Though the guns are so rated, and although I'm not particularly recoil-sensitive, I found I simply could not shoot these guns with the same degree of accuracy and precision with ANY of the premium .357 loads as with some of the premium factory .38 Special+P loads.
I tried at least one twenty or fifty round box of each of the available factory .357 Magnum 125gr JHP loads. The recoil was stout but not punishing.
After giving up on .357 loads, I started testing the .38 Special loads, and though I haven't tested all the factory loads available in this caliber, I eventually settled on the Gold Dot "short barrel" 135gr .38 Special +P JHP load as the single most accurate AND precise load (good enough that I saw no reason to test further).
I didn't shoot any of the heavier 158gr .357 JHPs in these guns, BTW, though I did shoot .38 Special 158gr LSWCHPs, and found the precision and accuracy to not be as good as the noted Gold Dot load.
Best.

Post subject: Post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:13 am 
Members

I posted a year or so back about the woes I have had with mine. I still carry it as a back-up. I had to coat it with cera cote to keep it wearing. The airweight's are half the price and don't weigh much more and have a steel cylinder so they have my vote. If I had to do it over i'd have bought the airweight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:29 am 

If finish durability is of interest to you, the SW black frame coating on my SW 1911 SC wore very poorly (chipped like crazy). I received mixed information from SW and others as to whether and how it could be refinished. Finally sent it to Virgil Tripp for Cobra Coating. Haven't had any carry time with it yet, but anything has to be better than the factory original. This was one of the original billboard guns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:35 am 

Had one and sold it. Couldn't handle the recoil on that little monster due to carpal tunnel in both hands. I'll stick to my Colt Cobras!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:23 pm 
Members

i've been pleased with the durability of my 340Sc- seems right on par with my 642 Airweight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 am 
Members

I had one of the .38 versions, Model 342. I loved to carry it, very light on the hip with no real signs of wear. Didn't so much enjoy shooting it, heavy trigger, and it seemed to want to jump out of my hand when I fired it. My brother wanted it more than I did, so I sent it down the road.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:47 am 

I used to have both a 442 Airweight and a 340 PD. The former was pleasant to shoot. I cannot say the same for the Titanium cylindered gun, which normally resided in an ankle holster as a BUG. I had to replace the grips with Hogue grips to make it bearable to shoot, which of course hung up on the cuff of my pants ("Mommy, that man is wearing a gun.").

My regular carry gun is a 3.5" 1911 running 230 grain bullets, so it's not as though I'm adverse to recoil, but shooting the little J-frame with +P ammo was downright painful. A Lichtman / Semmerling .45 ACP I once shot was mild by comparison. Sold the 340 PD after less than 500 rounds for 50% less than I paid for it and wasn't sorry to see it go.

For the money, you're much better off getting a 442 or Bodyguard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:57 pm 

I also had a 442 and it was easy to carry, but even with .38 +P loads it was a bear to shoot well. The cylinder release took a big chunk out of my thumb knuckle on the very first shot. The thing is, with the heavy trigger pull and the stout snap, it tends to deter you from shooting quickly (double taps, etc).

I traded mine for my Mil Spec Springer as I decided that the SP101 was a much better option.

Yeah the frame is heavier, but the cylinder release is much better and the weight negates some of the recoil. Plus, it felt better in my hand as the 442 seemed a bit small.

Just my 0.02...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:40 am 

Shooting a buddies Scandium J frame, I noticed the trigger guard coming back and smacking my trigger finger, that hurt much more than the recoil. I have a 386 mountain lite (L framed 7 shot) scandium revolver and it's just fine but it weighs 18 oz. rather than 10.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:36 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

John Ralston wrote:
Looking to get a 340PD (J-Frame 357) and wondering how durable they are? I have heard of issues with the cylinder coating, but nothing regarding the overall robustness.

I know they kick like a mule, I just want a light pocket gun.

Anyone with some experience?

Thanks,

John

John,

It depends on the intended use. Just because it says 357 on it doesn't mean you have to load it with them. That said. I have been using a J frame Smith in one incarnation or another as a BUG for 30 years. For the last 5 its been a 442. Now its a 340 BUT ITS LOADED WITH 38SPECIALS. Fed. HS. I went with it for the weight savings in the front pocket. Its 7oz. less and that makes a BIG difference for 12 hours.

AL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:20 pm 
Members

John,

I have the same view as Al,

It just depends of what do you need. I had a 649 since ever, then i got one of the little monsters for a while and just use it w 38's +P never care for the magnums, I`m not recoil sensitive but well used to shoot my 44Mag,45LC and 454Casull but it give you a "sharp sting" so for training purpose use 38/158gr standard that`s all i can get around here as an unlimited supply.
Finally i give it to a buddy and he shot it with full 158gr 357 loads a lot, so far i know, he`s still using it this days, gun still tight and shoot straight no big problems but a burned borders on cylinder finish. I decided that i will be better served with two 642`s which i worked to a very smooth trigger job, I`ve been using them with THV for almost then years now (here most of bad guys use soft body armours) and the THV will go through like a hot knife on butter from the little barrels + the RBCD special load as a spares.

I still using one most of the time as an all around gun and keep the other J at home. now i think i should just kept the little Magnum, just for fun at least, as it was an opportunity that will hardly repeat down here!

As you see they will stand for a steady diet of full loads but Its just depends of for what do you need them...
I just prefer my super light and accurate 642`s

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:18 pm 

I had a 360. I loved everything about it except that I couldn't shoot it rapidly or accurately. Sold it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:52 am 

If you're looking fo0r something to spend lots of range time with. You're better off hiring George Foreman to come over and punch you in the palm while you hold a pencil in your other hand and poke holes in a target.

Not very fun at all.

For a pocket gun it's great. Mine had a night sight and crimson trace grips when I got it from some guy who spent the extra money before he fired it and didn't like it. In my opinion this is a short distance (other side of a car) to belly gun and not much more and the decreased weight means I'm more likely to throw it in my pocket on a trip to the grocery store. Mine rides almost daily in a Rosen express line pocket holster and there are no signs of appreciable wear.

My only fear is that all those rumors about the infernal lock (no, that's not a typo) being jarred by these light weight guns. I haven't experienced this but dont want to either during a crisis moment.

Am considering removing the lock but am not much on messing with my guns safety features.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:04 am 

John-

I have one as does my brother, no wear issues on either. Both get shot and carried, guesssing somewhere in the 1000+ rounds for my brothers gun, mine has 200-300 thru it. I got mine because I liked his so much. I find it fairly easy to shoot with 38+Ps Speer Gold Dots 125. Great carry gun and I can make IPSC B zone hits at 25yrds with the little things, I love mine. It will see daily pocket carry soon as I get the holster from some guy up in WA. :lol:

Best-
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:39 am 
Members

I've been carrying a S&W 340PD as a backup to my duty gun, for several years.
It's loaded with Speer .357 mag., 135gr SB (Short Barrel).
Grips are Eagle Secret Service.
After a 10 hour shift, its light weight is barley noticeable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:59 pm 
Members

I have several J frames, from a few old no dash 36's up to current 340. The 340 is a great suit and tie gun, very light, will not bulge out suit pants, and carried very easy, its not meant as a range gun or a lets go run 200 rounds of heavy mag loads thru it, that's what 27's and 686's are for. For its purpose, it does it very well, I must say that because my 442 has wood grips, and has a better trigger so far, i will keep shoving the extra 3 ounces in my pocket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 pm 

I've got a 329PD. .44 mags are fairly brutal, but doable. .44spls are pussycats out of this gun. Here you see the only N frame in the world that carries like a dream: