Visit us on facebook

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:48 pm 

I had a stock, 3rd generation, Colt SAA in .45 that was begging for some attention. Once I saw Hamilton's LW conversion there was no going back. The stocks are French walnut by Roy Fishpaw and Dan Love did some limited engraving on the backstrap and butt.

It is not a safe queen by any means. TR built me a custom IWB rig and drop pouch so I could wear this at a special event. While the event was private, I will tell you that mine was not the only Bowen LW that had Fishpaw stocks and Love engraving.

For the record, Hamilton, Roy, and Dan were true gentlemen to work with.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Garrett on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:27 pm 

what a stunning pistol. simply gorgeous. thats very nice leather as well.by TR, do you mean thad rybka?-cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:23 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I have never really had much of an interest in SA revolvers, but most of the Bowen Custom guns grab me. I really like those Lightweights, and have studied the price list to figure one up a few times.
What a neat idea.

Nice Rybka leather also. But then, his work is always nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:30 pm 

A beautiful piece of work.

And, TR's leather is breathtaking.

ML

Post subject: TR & Love Engraving
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:30 pm 

"TR" would in fact be Thad Rybka. Thad has been a friend for many years and does great work in his own unique way.

I'm attaching two photos of Dan Love's work on the backstrap and butt. All of it is hand engraving. Dan is a true master and a #1 gentleman to do business with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 pm 

:shock: beeautiful engraving-cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:57 pm 

Rob....that is simply STUUUUUUNNNING!!! I still love the old Peacemakers, and this one is right up my alley! If I had plenty of time to practice with her..I wouldn't hesitate to pack that beauty in that outstanding rig from Thad. How does it feel in that beautiful leather rig while wearing it?--John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:54 pm 

WOW!!!! That is just cool... I think I've found my next "gotta have" gun!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:48 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Back again for my tenth time looking.
That's still nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:32 pm 

Very nice looking pistol...I keep seeing that name pop up in threads with nice looking stocks. Do you have Roy's contact info or website?

Thanks,
C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:00 pm 

Chriso...I don't think Mr. Fishpaw has a website (at least he didn't the last time I spoke to him about a year ago) but here is his contact info:

Mr. Roy Fishpaw
Custom Gun Grips
793 Mt. Olivet Church Rd.
Lynchburg, VA 24504
(434) 993-3470

He is an excellent gentleman to talk to, and very easy to discuss particulars with. Roy is considered by many "in the know" to be one of the best gripmakers out there. Best of luck to you!--John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:49 pm 

Thanks JR!

I forgot to ask if he does grips for 1911's as well. If not, then I guess I have to get another revolver...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:38 pm 

Chriso...if I recall correctly, he does do grips for most anything you would want, and will tailor them for individual needs. As I said above...great guy to talk to, give him a call! Have a great weekend!--John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:57 am 
Members

I love this! I've been wanting to have this package done for quite some time. Saving my pennies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:27 am 

Rob -

Excellent photos of understated elegance of the highest form. Everyone involved with that one did a phenomenal job!

I must admit that I never would have thought of carrying a SAA in an IWB rig, but I guess one dresses depending on the event. ;-)

Amazing - I believe that I have seen that bleached background item before...

"I will fight them until hell freezes over, then I will fight them on the ice."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:10 pm 
Members

a very nice SAA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:00 pm 

That is a beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:58 pm 

Oz,

You should recognize the background in the photos of the stocks, backstrap and butt. I seem to remember you helping me pick out the buf skull as well. My contribution to the El Paso economy.

You will have to shoot it when you get down south.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:37 pm 

I knew I wouldn't be disappointed over here in the revolver forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:09 pm 

I keep coming back to this post - very nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 am 
Members

I like this one a lot. There is something about it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:40 am 

I would like to recommend Hamilton's book, The Custom Revolver, to all those who like this. It really showcases his work. I must warn you that the book can have an adverse effect on your bank account!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:47 am 

Rob T sent me a PM about how the project took place and how long it took. I happened to be near Hamilton's shop and, after a phone call, paid him a visit. We talked about both project guns and worked out the details.

I shipped the SAA to Hamilton. He stripped it down and then had to send the slide off to be "un-heat treated" so he could do the machining. He then did the lightening cuts, cut the barrel, did the sight work, and trued the backstrap. The pistol then went to Roy to have the stocks fitted. Back to Hamilton where the frame went back off to Doug Trunbull to be color case hardened and the backstrap went to Dan Love for engraving.

It all came back together and the other parts were blued by Hamilton and put together.

Total time was about 18 months or so. I will tell you that I received a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from dealing with each gentleman watching the process. I would not have had this had I bought an already completed pistol from Hamilton.

Right now, Roy has about an 18 month backlog on stocks and Dan is looking at about a year last time I heard. Hamilton works real hard to turn projects around but lost one of his smiths last year.

It was well worth the wait! Should anyone else have some of Hamilton's work, I would love to see it.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:17 pm 
Members

That helps very much. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:10 pm 

This article on this one and the engraved Colt from C&S is out on the news stand in Guns of the Old West, Fall 2007.

Enjoy

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:16 am 
Members

Rob Garrett wrote:
I had a stock, 3rd generation, Colt SAA in .45 that was begging for some attention. Once I saw Hamilton's LW conversion there was no going back. ...

Very Nice Rob. And very tempting! I also have a 3rd generation Colt SAA that is begging for attention. I have a history of resisting anything except temptation :) !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:31 pm 

This one gets carried again this weekend for my son's wedding. It grows on you the more you carry and shoot it. I can't tell you how clean both Hamilton's and Dan's work is.

There will be a second Colt SAA / Bowen LW at the wedding that has also been engraved by Dan Love. In addition, a new Model 40-1 (blue) will be there is the elephant trimmed rig by Mark wearing elephant ivory stocks that were done by Nutmeg. A Colt LW Commander done by Harrision, a Springfield TRP, and a C&S Adventurer will also be present. Knives include a custom Mel Pardue folder and several custom stocked Al Mars.

Fun will be had by all.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:38 am 
Members

Beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:43 pm 

Thanks. Unfortunately for all of us, I understand that Roy has stopped taking orders for custom stocks. (not grips)

I may have to wear this one day at next year's SHOT Show just to see Jason drool :lol: :lol:

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:55 pm 

Quote:
Unfortunately for all of us, I understand that Roy has stopped taking orders for custom stocks. (not grips)

I'm saddened to hear this. I have been waiting on a slot from Roy for about 18 months. I had been hoping that I was just about to get my turn.

Beautiful revolver, by the way. As a general rule, I don't much care for the SAA look but that one is flat out breathtaking.

Rick