Visit us on facebook

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:49 am 

I can not tell you all how much I have really enjoyed all of the recent posts related to custom revolvers.

I have finally seen the wisdom of having a small, reliable weapon that one can realistically have with them for EDC protection. Towards that end, one of my next pistol projects will be purchasing a small frame S&W pistol and then getting a few modifications to make it carry and shoot better.

I will confess to being raised on auto pistols, so this will be my first foray into wheel guns and am a bit clueless about where to begin and what does and does not sense regarding modifications. Therefore, I would like to tap into some of the expertise of this board for advice / suggestions of modifications to a J-Frame for EDC.

What would be your dream defensive pistol - starting with what you would use as a base gun, a list of the work you would have performed and any accessories you feel are essential?

As always, thanks for sharing your collective assistance for a newbie.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:28 am 

I know what you want, but what does EDC stand for?

ML

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:40 am 

Mushinto wrote:
I know what you want, but what does EDC stand for?

ML

Every day carry. I don't have any first hand experience with his revolver work but from what I have seen here Ray Harms does nice work on J frames.

I am partial to the 442. The only things I would do to a carry gun is add a set of Crimson Trace laser grips, smooth out the trigger and bob the hammer (if exposed). Some people like to add a tritium front sight or gold bead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:39 pm 
Members

Bowen Arms does rear sight intallations that will give you a little better sight picture for that J frame.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/SWpackages.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:00 pm 

Kent Singletary did a very nice S+W 649 bodyguard for me! Give him a call !!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:31 pm 

Do a search on these forums for Ray Harms' work. He did a M640-1 .357 that is fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:04 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ray's work does indeed look impressive. It looks like I will be adding the Crimson Trace grips and sending the pistol off to Ray for some action work and improved sights after I select a model.

In reading more about these pistols, I think I will go with one of the Airweight versions as they seem to control recoil better than the Scandium revolvers without adding that much more weight.

What about a recommendation between the Chief's Special, Centennial or Bodyguard versions? Are there big differences with snagging between the three?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:34 pm 

I have owned each, and currently have 3 642's and 1 638.
Go for the 642 Centennial. No-snag exterior, and no slot to get fuzz inside (like the Bodyguard).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:17 pm 

Great, thanks a lot for your suggestion, OldLawman!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:52 pm 

I currently carry a S$W 442 also, and have done so for many years as a police officer due to light weight and snag free profile. Quite often in cold weather it would ride in my uniform coat pocket where it would be in my hand, but unknown to anyone I was talking to and ready for trouble. I have always been a fan of Colt's small frame .38's (and the Magnum Carry in .357)and recently had a Colt Agent worked on by Dave Sam's here in Virginia, if you look beck a short way here in the revolver section you will find it (along with some really bad pics). Colt made the Agent and theCobra in.38, both are lightweight (about the same as the S$Ws) and also have the advantige of carriying 6 rounds as opposed to the Smiths 5. Another benifit to them is they are readily available in pawn shops, gunstores, and gun sites for quite a bit less than a new S&W, they are quite a nice overlooked gem and usually are incredibly accurate. Best regards--John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:42 pm 

old lawman echoed my thoughts exactly. check out ray harms S&W 640 @ www.harmscustomdesign.com ray does indeed do excellent work--cam