Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:35 am 
Members

Good Sunday all,
With the current economic situation in full play my thoughts of begining research of a "Fantasy" project has taken a hit.
However, I still am interested in what would be needed and what the approximate cost for having a Smith & Wesson Model-58 conversion from .41special to .45long Colt; how extensive a problem it would entail and if it is even feasible.
I make submit my query to the superior knowledge and expertise of those on the LTW site.
Many thanks,
Ari Ariel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:51 pm 

No personal experience, but you might try this guy.

ML

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:51 pm 
Members

Interesting. You have a model 58 that was re-cylindered to a .41 spec. from .41mag? Never seen one of those, since most revos already in .41 mag are easily downloaded to .41 spec levels... However, it should be very do-able; the barrel should capable of being rerifled from .410 to .451. I think that there are several good smiths that offer such work, John Gallagher, http://www.clementscustomguns.com/ and of course Bowen,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:56 pm 
Members

Hany wrote:
Interesting. You have a model 58 that was re-cylindered to a .41 spec. from .41mag? Never seen one of those, since most revos already in .41 mag are easily downloaded to .41 spec levels... However, it should be very do-able; the barrel should capable of being rerifled from .410 to .451. I think that there are several good smiths that offer such work, John Gallagher, http://www.clementscustomguns.com/ and of course Bowen,

No. I should have been more precise. The piece in question is a standard S&W Model 58 (.41 Magnum), in Plain Jane blue with the standard magna grips. I have never had it converted from it's standard caliber. The only modifications I had made was having the hammer bobbed off and the "toe" of the frame nipped for a locally made set of Marvin Milton, smooth Maccasar ebony grips, for duty wear under a coat. It was carried in a Jackass, (Now Galco) strong side open top belt scabbard, with a security thumb break. We did lots and LOTS of wrestling and scrambling back then and loss of one's pistola was considered declasse, to say nothing of being somewhat annoying to the insurance actuaries guys :roll: .

I have always had an interest in converting it to a .45 Long Colt, but never got around to it. I thank those who have responded to my inquiry, BUT,...looking at the DOW today, it appears that such a conversion is going to have to wait a LOT longer. :(

Joel "Ari" Ariel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:13 pm 
Members

IF you keep your eyes open, you might find a model 25 around for less than the cost of the conversion.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:28 pm 

guntotin_fool wrote:
IF you keep your eyes open, you might find a model 25 around for less than the cost of the conversion.....

yep, and there are quite a few folks, me for one, who would like a model 58--cam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:19 am 
Members

Quote:
You can pick up a Model 25 cheaper

Yeah, I know.
Even though I most likely will not be having the conversion made in the near term; the question I asked was "What would be necessary or needed for such a conversion from .41 to .45LC.?" I do not want a Mountain gun with the adjustible sights. I like the spare and few(if any) frills of the "Model-10 on steroids" look and feel of the Model-58. I like the slick feel of the DA trigger, and I like the railroad track accuracy of the thing.
So if anyone does have an idea of more or less what is involved in such a conversion, please advise me.
Respectfully,
Ari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:37 pm 
Members

Easiest conversion might be sending it back to S&W and asking them to fit a new barrel and a new cylinder as thats all that would need to be done. Someone like Ham Bowen might have the parts laying around to do that as well, otherwise, I think reboring and re chambering your cylinder as well as reboring your barrel would cost as much as a used m25, and they are out there that are not mountain guns, but rather just plain 45 Colt M25s. I have a 5 inch from about 1963 or so, and its appearance is the same as a M29 of the same era.

IF you can find the parts, the labor involved in fitting a new cylinder is not prohibitive, but parts like that are not cheap either. I would guess you would be lucky to find the parts for less for 400 dollars, (barrel and cylinder) and labor would run maybe a full day, so 8 times what ever your smith charges, or between 5 and 8 hundred bucks, I would think they would use a new hand for the timing, and keep the old parts together so that you could revert at any time with minimum fuss. NOTE this is all just a WAG, but a somewhat educated WAG

and just for your perusal,

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... y_rn=48302

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:16 pm 

In the Harris Publication's 2002 edition of Custom Combat Handguns, there is an article by Wiley Clap on how he had two Model 58s converted to .45 Colt. The smith he used was George DeLeo, 1712 N. Placentia, Fullerton, Ca 92831; 714-993-6650.

My scanner is kaput, but if you PM me an address, I can send you a copy of the article.

ML

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:28 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I once took a Model 58, that is,.41 mag, 4", fixed sights like a Model 10, bright nickel, and relined the barrel with a piece turned from a Colt Single Action Army barrel. Rechambering the cylinder and facing it for full moon clips was the easy part.

No reason the same process could not be used but in .45 LC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:42 am 

I watched Ned shoot that gun in an ICORE match. From an IWB holster. I may even have photos.

Re-building S&W wheelguns to other calibers isn't particularly difficult, but it isn't cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:08 pm 

This guy has a picture of a revolver conversion he did here.

ML

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:46 am 

Well, I just took delivery of a Model 58 that Bowen converted to 45 Colt for me. My goal was to create what I thought a 4th Model Hand Ejector would look like so instead of boring out the 58 barrel I had Bowen shorten and mount a Model 1955 barrel, mill the rib to look like a Model 58 rib and mount a front sight that was similar to a 58 blade...only with a 60 degree serrated face rather than a 30 degree face. He bored out the original cylinder to 45 Colt and completed the rest of the gun as if it were new. It's a bit stiff but should loosen up nicely as it breaks in. It is very, very accurate.

I have just sent him another to convert to 45 S&W, aka Schofield. Don't beat me up over this now. The gun was purchased years ago as a 45 Colt PPC gun done by Cloward in the 70s. I put the target barrel on a 45 ACP target revolver I use for Bullseye (made on a 28) and saved the rest for a project. I found a second Model 1955 barrel and used the Model 28 cylinder which fits the 58 frame perfectly. The 28 cylinder is too short for 45 Colt but perfect for 45 S&W. Bowen just got the parts so it will be awhile before I see the results. In case you are interested, the 45 S&W is potentially a very good defense cartridge. Better suited to heavy bullets than 45 ACP and it doesn't suffer from excess case capacity like the Colt. Testing with modern components so far has been very, very promising.

This makes the fifth conversion Bowen has done for me and so far I've been very impressed with his work, especially the latest one he just completed. Nicest revolver I've ever shot.
Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 am 
Members

PICTURES!! I want to see pictures. Please. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:14 am 

Final regulation of the sights is taking place right now. As soon as I get it back (very soon I hope!) I'll send you pictures. What is your email address? I'm not familiar yet with posting pictures to the forum.
Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:18 pm 
Members

cprher wrote:
Well, I just took delivery of a Model 58 that Bowen converted to 45 Colt for me. My goal was to create what I thought a 4th Model Hand Ejector would look like so instead of boring out the 58 barrel I had Bowen shorten and mount a Model 1955 barrel, mill the rib to look like a Model 58 rib and mount a front sight that was similar to a 58 blade...only with a 60 degree serrated face rather than a 30 degree face. He bored out the original cylinder to 45 Colt and completed the rest of the gun as if it were new. It's a bit stiff but should loosen up nicely as it breaks in. It is very, very accurate.

This makes the fifth conversion Bowen has done for me and so far I've been very impressed with his work, especially the latest one he just completed. Nicest revolver I've ever shot.
Keith

Oh I gotta see this one!!! Slurp!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:32 am 

Here is the Model 58 I just got back from Bowen after he converted it to 45 Colt. The barrel is from a Model 1955, shortened to 4" and remarked like the factory centered between frame and muzzle. Notice the barrel's rib which has been modified to look very much like the rib on the original Model 58 barrel, and the front sight. The steeper angle to the face corrects one of the worst faults with the original. The muzzle was recrowned to look exactly like the original.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:43 pm 

Whoa, that's a beauty. Great work.

ML