Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Colt Agent
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:27 pm 
Members

Hi All:

Thanks to our very own Jr Munsey (evil man) and his David Sams Colt, I went to the local show looking for an Agent. I found one. Pretty nice shape with the light alloy frame and what I call the pencil barrel.
Now I need some help in picking or finding a nice set of grips. Photos will help.
Lindermat can you post some new photos of your Colt also.

TJ

Post subject: Re: Colt Agent
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:50 pm 

TJ....I'm glad you found yourself a nice base gun! Nice thing about the little Colt's is that they can usually be found at a decent price if you take the time to look for one. I cannot tell you how amazing my little Agent is since being worked over by Dave Sams. The Colt .38s were always known for being accurate, and dave was able to wring that quality out even more in mine with his action job and barrell crowning! I am still experimenting with ammo to find out what mine likes, but so far the Gold Dot +P seems to be a very good choice (and yes..according to Colt, the alloy frames on the later .38 WILL handle +P ammo perfectly well).
As for the grips, Lindermant and I both tried the Eagle Secret Service grips, and both of us found them to be too "slick", and last I talked to Tom we have both dropped them in favor of something else. I have temporarily gone back to the original Colt grips, but aftermarket stocks are plentiful. Any set made for the Detective Specials/Agents/Cobras will work.
I hope you enjoy your new purchase and that it will provide you many years of service!--John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:52 pm 

By the way TJ....PM me with your shipping address and I will send you the set of Secret Service grips that I have to try out for yourself. They may work better for you than they did for me!-John

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:29 am 
Members

tj,

pics of my old agent are on my thumb drive... I'll try to get 'em online this evening. Like John, I ditched the slick wood grips and ended up with a set of rubber checkered grips from Numrich (click here) - not pretty, but very functional.