Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 am 
Members

I would like to turn my grandfathers detective special into a really nice sentimental piece. My grandfather is very special to me and was the only other LEO in the family. The front sight needs to be fixed because it is loose but the rest of the gun is in good working order. Besides that fix I wanted to replace the rubber grips with a really nice pair of exotic hardwood ones and I wanted some custom engraving done. Not real exotic but his name and rank and the NJSP seal.
I was also thinking of having it bright nickle plated but would that effect the engraving or would a high polish blue be better? Any input on who to turn to for this project would be appreciated as well as any other ideas for the grips. I would love to give this to one of my sons one day.
Thanks guys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:09 pm 
Members

Good Day,
I do not post very often, and I felt that in this particular instance my two Agorot would be not dismissed out of hand, ot instantly rejected.

In my opinion, I would have the front sight fixed, but leave the "Dick Special" in "as was"
condition; the way your Grandfather carried it to work. When handed on to your children, they can reflect on what the gentleman did everyday, and how he faced his challenges, victories and defeats.

I recieved my "Grands" old SA Colt Army handgun, and have kept it as he carried it in Cuba in the Spanish American War and on the SW border with Pershing, and then into France in the Great War. He was too old for WWII but volunteered all the same and would have happily sent as many Nazis on to their richly earned deserts as he could with that old chunk of iron, obsolete or not. I have it the way he handed it to my Dad, (wrapped in a greasy old dishtowel and in a newish zippered pistol case) and to my older brothers, and then to me as the surviving son. I am handing it off to the next male in the family, a favored, decent Nephew(who is a little bit baffeled by all the military/cop/gun stuff).

Dont chrome or high polish blue it. Keep is as the old man would have felt comfortable with His old trusted friend.
Just my two Agorot.

Ari Ariel