Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Expertise sought
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:38 am 
Members

Hi Troops,

This morning at the Fort Lauderdale Gun show, I found and purchased an older Smith & Wesson Model 38 Airweight in .38spl. It t appears not to have ever been fired, and there are none of the tell tales that would indicate that it had. There are a couple of small nicks Where a set of keys or pocket change would have made contact with the alloy frame, but the marks are negligible. Other than that it seems to be pretty pristine. I have no intention of firing it more than the obligatory test rounds, and it will be a pocket/belt "carry much, fire rarely" piece.

I am soliciting your expertise here in selection of a decent .38spl defense load that will not attach a kaBOOM to my late life resume.

It should be noted that my lovely and talented wife thinks it "is kinda of cute".
Oh well. She once said that about me too. :lol:
I await your advice.
Ari

Post subject: Re: Expertise sought
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:02 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Ari,

I seem to remember Federal making a standard 38special 110gr JHP HiShok load. It was not +P.
Some of the companies still make a practice round using LRN or JRN bullets in 38special.

Check each companies website for loading and data. I would like to say stick with loadings under 850fps.

edit:I believe Federal also reintroduced their Nyclad in 38special, 125gr. A good load IMO.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 pm 
Members

Buffalo Bore ammo is one of my favorites.
158gr. SWC http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l= ... tail&p=110

Here are the three standard pressure .38's Buffalo Bore makes http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l= ... _list&c=23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:56 pm 
Members

I'm not expert, but Dr. Gary Roberts is.

Here, Dr. Roberts compares the 38 snub and 380 auto as backup guns (aka, BUGs).

The emphasis of his testing was on terminal ballistics, and results from several 38 special loads are illustrated and discussed.

Hope this helps.

-AC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:58 am 
Members

To those fine fellows that supplied answers to my question regarding "snacks" for my
ny new/old S&W Bodyguard Airweight, I wish to say, thank you very much.
I have opted to try Buffalo Bore Ammo. Having peeked at their website, I must say that the concept and execution appears to be just what I have been looking for.
Ammo generally seems to be in short supply(at least here in South Florida), and eventually, room or no room, I am going to have to begin reloading at home.
Meanwhile, the heavy weight(158gr)HP, low pressure .38spl "Defense" Round is what I have chosen. Trying out the (90gr).380+P, the (124gr) 9MM+P, and the .230Gr .45acp as well.
As Buffalo Bore claims, this is strictly business stuff, and not for adressing the threat posed by paper/cardboard on weekends. 8)

Secondary question, NOT related to ammo.
Which J-frame stocks have a slimmer/thinner profile? Craig Spegel's or Esmeralda's.
Too many QC problems with Eagle. Hogue's not in the ball park with either the first two
mentioned.
Again, Thanx

Ari Ariel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:12 pm 

Federal is bringing back the old Nyclad load which I belive is a 125jhp. It was a great wheelgun/snubby load used by quite a few agencies and should be on the shelves pretty soon if not now also the Gold Dot short barrel ammo is great for a snubby but I belive it's a +P load.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:40 am 
Members

CCI/Speer is marketing some ammo specifically for snubs. They call it SB for Short Barrel. Might be worth looking into.
Sounds like you have a cool wife :) .
Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 am 
Members

[quote="45Driver"]CCI/Speer is marketing some ammo specifically for snubs. They call it SB for Short Barrel. Might be worth looking into.

I am expecting the UPS guy to deliver a package from Buffalo Bore in about an hour or so, with my .38 special Low Pressure Personal Defense (158gr)Loads; along with some
"Mo' hotter snacks" for my 9mm BHP/Sig, .380 Walther and .45acp 1911's.

Sounds like you have a cool wife :)

[b]Cool Wife? Yeah. I guess she is 8) We have been doing the "marrige thang for about 43 years so I guess she is not only "cool" but a definite "keeper". Either that or she has the capacity to absorb life with me. Regardless, I aint trading.