Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:11 pm 

In the opinion of this forum, who makes the most accurate 38 Special barrels? I'm looking to make a target revolver for bullseye shooting, specifically the centerfire portion of a 2700 and I'm looking for the best barrel to use. I'm looking for recommendations on bore diameter (I'll be using Federal Gold Medal Match 148 grain wadcutter), rate of twist, number of lands/grooves, etc. But I'm also looking for the best angle for the forcing cone and the best type of barrel crown. Can you guys help me out?

If I choose instead of a custom barrel to have a factory barrel rebored so that I can use a factory contour (full lug), who would you recommend do the work?
Keith
cprher@verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:30 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

cprher, I haven't built any of these in quite a while, but I always had good luck with the Clark barrels, which they made on Douglas blanks. I also used 1 Jarvis barrel, but never did have a chance to shoot it for group to compare.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:39 am 

CPR;

I have used many of and most of the big name barrels...I tend to favor Shilen for the .38, but I would not hesitate to use Douglas, and or Kreiger.. Regardless, the chosen barrel, it should be carefully slugged to determine if it has loose spots and for tight end..The machining and fitting is as important as the barrel selection. All dimensions must come off the bore C/L, and max thread OD should closely match the frame thread ID so as to produce a slight drag when assembled, and with full shoulder contact.
As for the forcing cone ?? Eliminate it.. They are archiac. A thing of the past.. The freebore, or Taylor Throat is the only way to go for maximum accuracy. And again, it needs to be zero bore C/L..
I have never done any reboring, only relining. I would refer you to Jim Stroh or Hamilton Bowen for that type of work...If you are shooting the Reeves match or open class B/E I would opt against the rebore and go with the match grade custom barrel. Rebore and reline is not going to be quite as good as the custom barrel..reline works great for .22, but there is generally more support available in those small bore barrels.. A good .38 revolver barrel will often group under an inch at 50..

Good luck

Jerry