Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:35 am 

What is the forums experience with and opinion of Taylor Throating on revolvers? Jim Stroh describes it as: "Essentially, the barrel throat is lengthened one and one half to two calibers, and enlarged to slightly over groove diameter. The throat serves as the throat in a rifle barrel, enabling the bullet to become perfectly aligned with the bore before engaging the rifling. The "choking" effect present from tightening the barrel into the frame is removed as well. The rifling leade is a very gentle 1 ½ degrees. On average, when tested before and after using a Ransom Rest, 50 yard groups have been reduced 40 to 50%."

I'd appreciate your opinions.
Keith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:00 am 

cprher wrote:
What is the forums experience with and opinion of Taylor Throating on revolvers? Jim Stroh describes it as: "Essentially, the barrel throat is lengthened one and one half to two calibers, and enlarged to slightly over groove diameter. The throat serves as the throat in a rifle barrel, enabling the bullet to become perfectly aligned with the bore before engaging the rifling. The "choking" effect present from tightening the barrel into the frame is removed as well. The rifling leade is a very gentle 1 ½ degrees. On average, when tested before and after using a Ransom Rest, 50 yard groups have been reduced 40 to 50%."

I'd appreciate your opinions.
Keith

Keith;
One other very important feature: The standard forcing cone begins to upset and deform the bullet while it is in transition from the cylinder throat to the barrel. The bullet is not really well supported at this time and is subject to many force variables that can and will effect its center of gravity and ultimately its accuracy potential. Taylor Throating, which is essentially a free bore, allows the bullet to be supported by the groove diameter of the barrel, and the surronding gases prior to its entrance into the rifling leade. Bullet deformation is eliminated... I can assure you that there are many such guns on the line at Camp Perry..

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 am 

Thanks Jerry. I see from the Guild's writeup you are no longer taking work. Jim Stroh's turn around is 5-6 months for a Taylor Throat and crowning the muzzle. Who do you know that is still taking work, has a reasonable turnaround time and would do a quality job?
Keith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 am 

[quote="cprher"]Thanks Jerry. I see from the Guild's writeup you are no longer taking work. Jim Stroh's turn around is 5-6 months for a Taylor Throat and crowning the muzzle. Who do you know that is still taking work, has a reasonable turnaround time and would do a quality job?
Keith
Jim is the Taylor Throat icon, and he has given me some tutoring over the years.. He is a great pistol smith..I will be entering full retirement 1 July and hope to have my back log under control one day.. Sorry I can't help you.. Alex Hamilton may be able to help.. He does some B/E work...I don't think any one can get to it before Perry, it's just around the corner..

Good luck
Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:26 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

You could try David Clements - he does exceptional work and used to have reasonable lead times. Not sure if that is something he does however.

Give him a call, as he usually will answer the phone.

John

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com