Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:16 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

I never forget that I'm kinda lucky.

While our shop doesn't have a "boss" per se, we do have Jason - for better or worse :lol: We tease him a little (OK, a lot) about his OCD, but sometimes forget that that's what keeps the schedule organized and the bills paid. At any rate, things work a lot better than they did in the past.

I may not be quite as organized as JB (seen my bench?), but I'm prematurely crotchety, and I still love the parts of this business that may not be my bread & butter. I've always loved rifles, shotguns, and revolvers - things I've often had to forego in favor of trying to keep up on my 1911/BHP work. Usually the reasons were pretty straightforward - it's just too hard to work oddball projects into an "organized" schedule. That's where the crotchety part came in. As a part of my "elder care program", I've tried to keep a little time set aside to do the things I want to do - like rifles and revolvers. I have no intention of getting buried under the more mundane aspects of small jobs and piecework, but at least for the time being, I'm having a blast getting back to my roots.

These pics are of a couple of revolvers for two special friends.

The J frame belonged to the father of a friend, who takes it out periodically for a remembrance that only the smell of burnt powder can inspire. The modifications and engraving were a gift from her husband. The grips are hand fit Spegels, and the engraving by none other than J.R. French.

The Detective Special was for Steve. I just don't know why - he never shows up for work anymore :roll:
The work sheet was sparse on this one, an action job, and a finish restoration. Dick Specials don't need much. The added character is courtesy of J.R. French and Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg. The grips are simply amazing.

I hope you enjoy Jason's pictures.

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:38 am 

Ted, You never stop amazing us ! Great work as always and they look toooooo nice to use.. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:41 pm 
Members

You have really got to quit doing such nice work. My dream list keeps getting bigger and bigger. :shock: I had no idea you all still did revolvers on occasion.
Those sure are nice. I'm a little partial to the engraving.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:14 pm 

Wow! Simply wow..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:54 pm 

oooo...Oooo.Oooo...I be lovin' that "Dick Special"!!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:02 am 

Hey Theo,

It's about time. Great stuff and as you know, I'm a J-frame queer! J.R. does amazing work and Nutmeg stocks are top line. Tell Jason there were real man guns before the 1911!

For those who may not have seen it. Ted took a much worn Model 38 and reworked it when he was at Gunsite. Later, I had it refinished by Dave Williams at the Springfield Custom Shop. Here is the link.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5590

Ted and I are old enough to remember when men were men, guns were round, and swords were three feet long!

Well done on these!

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:36 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

AAAAAwwweeeee MAN! Now you went and did it! Where is that python that we talked about????? I'm going to have to go sell a kidney and pay for some serious custom work.

JeffVN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:16 pm 

LOL....Jeff I could have used that kidney too!! Just found out yesterday that I'm getting one from a girlfriend in two weeks....woulda been glad to have gotten yours a while back!! :lol: --John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:08 pm 
Members

WOW!!!! I just shipped a pistols to Jason and to Dave Erickson today ............now I am gonna have to figure out what I have to sell to fund sending a Detective Special or maybe a S&W model 10 to Ted. Barbeque Gun comes to mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:13 am 
Members

Wow, those are just gorgeous. If I had any extra money, I would ask for a spot on the waiting list.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:17 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I have always been a Colt fan when it comes to the revolvers. Smith's are nice but Colt's are "nicer." I have a Python, I have owned for 36 years and was my first IPSC gun with stop watches and stop plates. Did a Walt Sherman roller bearing on that one about 20 years. Been refinished three times and has had the barrel replaced due to forcing cone erosion. Still never without an issue other than the operator on occasion. The one gun my wife and hit a target with is a Colt 2in Diamondback. One that rides in the car with me is a nickel Detective Special with a shround. I have a blue pencil barrel that may get on your list when I stop by in October. That is one real nice job on the one for Steve. I envy him.

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:59 pm 
Members

steve is a lucky son of a gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:08 pm 
Members

The Yost Det at home with it's matching brothers....

http://www.battlemug.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
Members

WOW, that's fantastic!