Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:34 am 
Members

Would love to know about both. Who makes a holster like this?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:58 am 
Members

The holster is called a RANCHER MAGNUM CARRY (American Handgunner magazine article). It is made by Haugen Gun Leather (Mfg's website).

The revolver is more difficult to discern since it is mostly covered by the holster. It appears to be one of Mr. Smith's 4-inch S&W Model 29s (44 Magnum caliber). The gun also appears to be nickeled and wearing Craig Spegel Square-Butt Boot Grips. The lanyard ring is almost certainly a custom addition. (I'm pretty sure such a gun has appeared in some of his articles, but it's still just a guess...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:58 am 
Members

ArtCrafter wrote:
The holster is called a RANCHER MAGNUM CARRY (American Handgunner magazine article). It is made by Haugen Gun Leather (Mfg's website).

The revolver is more difficult to discern since it is mostly covered by the holster. It appears to be one of Mr. Smith's 4-inch S&W Model 29s (44 Magnum caliber). The gun also appears to be nickeled and wearing Craig Spegel Square-Butt Boot Grips. The lanyard ring is almost certainly a custom addition. (I'm pretty sure such a gun has appeared in some of his articles, but it's still just a guess...)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:07 pm 

With a lanyard ring like that its possible it has the Hamilton Bowen touch to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 pm 
Members

It's a S&W. There is a YouTube video "Defensive Revolver" that shows Mr. Smith shooting it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:51 pm 
Members

WHIle all indications are S&W it has that peculiar hump on the top of the grip frame which shouts redhawk to me...... similar to this

Image lifted directly from Bowen's page, I hope this does not break copyright or ethics on showing this for informational purposes only

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:04 am 

...and as far as the holster goes, Galco is making an interesting version or copy of this now too for the Redhawk size pistols. It has the addition of a few ammo loops and a small pouch for a cell phone. personal radio, or other similar device. Can we say serious "Bug Out Rig"??--John

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:43 pm 
Members

guntotin_fool wrote:
While all indications are S&W, it has that peculiar hump on the top of the grip frame which shouts redhawk to me...

The 'S&Wesque' outline of the hammer on Mr. Smith's revolver pretty much rules out the Redhawk.

(Still just a guess, though...)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:27 pm 
Members

ArtCrafter wrote:
guntotin_fool wrote:
While all indications are S&W, it has that peculiar hump on the top of the grip frame which shouts redhawk to me...

The 'S&Wesque' outline of the hammer on Mr. Smith's revolver pretty much rules out the Redhawk.

(Still just a guess, though...)

no offense taken, at all, and my guess is the same as yours, and agree, that does look that way, but if it went to Ham Bowen, there is so little stock left of some of his guns that they can be called Smolts, or Resson's or what ever. Either way, I do like that rig, and I do wish I owned that gun....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:23 pm 

The gun is most assuredly a Hamilton Bowen Model 29 Smith and Wesson. I've seen it in person before and you can't mistake it once you've seen it.

Not sure about the holster, but Mr. Smith favors Milt Sparks.

-Rob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:16 pm 
Members

Looks like a Model 629