Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:31 am 

Hello
Deer season Opened here in East Tennessee Yesterday morning, so I decided to take along my Hamilton Bowen Smith & Wesson Model 16-4 Revolver that had been modified to the new Federal .327 Magnum Caliber. I had been recently hand loading some rounds and worked up a very Potent load using Accurate Arms #7 Powder along with a Sierra 90 Grain Copper Jacketed Hollow point and CCI-550 Magnum Powder. This Load showed to group the size of a dime on on the 20 Yard Line at my Range Late Thursday afternoon, so I decided to use it hunting.

I had my Marlin 336 Lever rifle chambered in .35 Rem. Caliber as well. I entered the woods just before daylight and Positioned myself about 30 Yards off a main Deer run. I had not seen a Deer and about Quarter to Eight, I began to wonder if the Presence of a Big Wild Cat had spoiled my chances of seeing any Bucks ? My Buddy who owns the land we hunt had warned me he had seen a Huge wild Cat the week before in his back yard about Noon. It apparently was stalking his House Cat's and he Feared it would attack them. I assured him, if I should see it in the woods he would have no more worries.

At 5 Minutes to Eight, I heard a small twig snap behind me. I looked up that way, and there was This Big Bobcat standing there Looking at me. I slowly raised my revolver that was in my lap and took aim. I was shaking fiercely, so I had to tell myself this was the chance of a life time shot, and to calm down. I knew the gun and load would do the Job if I did mine. I gently squeezed the trigger and the cat fell over Instantly.

I then called my Son in law who was hunting with me on his First Deer hunt and told him to get up to where I was sitting. He asked if I had shot a buck, and I told him I had killed that Big Bobcat. He did not believe me, but Joined me shortly. I dragged it out of the brush I had shot him in, and noticed the slug entered his left chest cavity and exited out his right rib cage. When I Gutted him out It had hit his Heart and right Lung before exiting. This cat weighed about 50 pounds and his stomach was the size of a Youth Football in size filled with what appeared to be fresh rabbit. He never made a sound nor moved after I shot him, so I guess it is safe to say the .327 Magnum more than did it's Job, and this may make the Non Belivers of this round take notice of how potent it really is. Before we left the woods, We Paced it off from where I shot this cat from and it was a true 35 Yard shot. I am still in Awe that I Bagged this animal and will have a Full Mount done of him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:11 pm 
Members

Wow, Kurt, nice looking cat! Very healthy looking, too.

About this time last year I was heading up to my place in the country right before dawn. About an 1/8th mile from my gate, I rounded a curve and saw five Bobcats a bit smaller than that one standing in the road. I've got some game camera pics of some considerably larger than that one. Between the cats, invading feral hogs, and the occasional band of bad guys, I always carry a side arm when I'm up there.

While it may not have the zing of the .327 Mag, the .45ACP does a fine job on truck radiators and headlights. ;->

-Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:16 am 

Hello Guys & Gals
Thanks again for the Kind words. The actual weight of this cat has come up on another Gun Board. :rolleyes: I had an Arm Chair Hunting Expert tell me that there was no way this Cat weighed 50 Pounds. :confused:This forced me to drag him out of deep freeze for a close up and personal weigh in. I feel the Internals of this Cat before it was dressed would have easily made up the Lacking Ten Pounds from the weight actual shown. Funny, The Guy did not respond after I Posted the Picture below...:D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:55 am 
Members

That'll show 'em!

I have at least two game camera pics around here somewhere with a bobcat in each that are a) bigger than I would have ever guessed they grew, and b) large enough to make a man think twice about making a trip to the wood pile in the middle of the night!

My place in the country is about 45 miles northeast of Dallas. My home is about 15 miles due north of Dallas. A couple of years at home I saw a HUGE bobcat walking down the street just after dark. (The other side of my street is a very old creek that runs water year around.) It was obviously old, with scratches and all manner of old battle scars. He was just skulking along towards the creek. I slowed as I got closer to him, basically out of disbelief of his size. I got within 30 feet of him in the truck and just stopped in the middle of the street. He didn't even hurry off. He just glanced at me as if to say "You talkin' to me?"

At least one or two people in the area have been attacked by bobcats on walking trails. I don't know about you, but I'm not overly concerned about a "normal" sized bobcat, even when unarmed. When they start tipping the 50 pond mark, they'd sure be a handful if they decided to attack!

As soon as my Delta gets back from Heirloom, (any day now, and I'm about to wet myself), it will be my constant companion up at the farm. Using hefty loads, a 10mm shot or two really should handle anything I'm likely to stumble across up there. :)

-Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:48 pm 
Members

That is one big bobcat. Nice job!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:44 pm 

Thanks for sharing the pics and the story. I know you'll get back out there and get you a deer. I'd be just as happy bringing that cat home as I would a deer. Happy hunting with the S&W/BCA .327 Mag.

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:44 pm 

Hello
I sent my Hunting story and Pictures to the Editor of American Handgunner magazine today. I got a response back from the editor Roy Huntington. He has agreed to try and get it in a future issue of the magazine. Here is a copy and paste version of his response to me. I hope this makes the .327 Magnum cartridge Famous and stimulates many sales of it for those of us that Love the 32's..Hammerdown

An interesting story, Kurt, and congratulations are definitely in order. A nice shot, a nice revolver and a nice cat, indeed!
If I have room, I may be able to run a picture and a paragraph in my Insider column. I'll see, and let you know.
Thanks for reaching out and for the pics. I'll follow-up with you when I know if I have the room.
Adios,
Roy H.

Roy Huntington
Editor, American Handgunner Magazine
www.americanhandgunner.com

CHECK OUT OUR NEW ON-LINE DIGITAL EDITIONS
AT WWW.AMERICANHANDGUNNER.COM!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:17 pm 
Members

I want pics of the gun as well......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:05 am 

guntotin_fool wrote:
I want pics of the gun as well......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:30 pm 

Kurt old buddy...beautiful revolver (as is the norm with you) and beautiful cat too. As far as the neighsayer on the other forum goes, in the famous words of my ol' grandaddy.."Don't confuse them with FACTS!!" (I've quite often found that this just befuddles the liberals and anti-gunners beyond belief!! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving--John

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:32 pm 

Hello JR
Thanks for the Kind words. Glad to see your Post, I wondered how you have been ?. Regrds, Kurt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:04 pm 

Kurt...I'm doing great. I will be in touch when turkey day and all the company are gone, right now it's time for a nap!! :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:47 pm 
Members

They dont have enough smilies to show my feelings, but this is a strong part,,,,, :mrgreen:

Color me green with envy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:19 am 

guntotin_fool wrote:
They dont have enough smilies to show my feelings, but this is a strong part,,,,, :mrgreen:Color me green with envy

Hello Guntotin_fool
To me, This Caliber is what the .32 H&R Magnum Should have been ! Keep an eye peeled for a Model 16-4 they do Pop up once in awhile and if you shop you can find them under a Grand. Add another $100.00 to that for Bowens conversion to .327 Magnum and you too can have ya one... :wink: I really doubt S&W will Re-Intro the 16-4 as a 16-5 in a .327 Magnum, But if they did I feel it would sell much better than the current -J-Frame Performance center offering at it's Retail price of a Grand... :roll: Kurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:12 pm 
Members

I have single sixes in both (factory) 32 H&R and a 25-20 done by a local person. I have several older .32's as I like the ability to shoot 0 buck over a mag primer as a basement gun......consider it CB caps on steroids

Ballistic Products of long lake Mn sells single ought buck at .320 diameter, loading that into a fired .32 case is a finger press fit, on top of mag primers that easily launches them out at about 400 fps, which makes a nice basement plinker. bore diameter is nominally .312, and they swage easily into the rifling at that size.

just remember make sure ever shot gets a hole on target. I don't think a SMPP will develop enough pressure to ring the barrel, but why risk it.....

if you want a grouse round, a single round ball on top of 2 grains of titegroup works great, but take this as your own warning. there is no data to support this on any manufacturers web page or manual, but it has worked for me.
AGAIN THIS IS A COMPLETELY BY THE SEAT OF THE PANTS LOAD

I do wish that S&W would reintroduce the 327 in the jframe as the new kit gun, fixed or lo profile sights with a simple ramp front on a 3 inch barrel as the ultimate pocket kit gun. carry it on some popper loads as rabbit or grouse loads, and three more in full ramp .327 as two legged vermin or cat and yote rounds. Every year I go out with the single six and I get more and more convinced this is the perfect all around woods second gun.

I have the little 36-6 3 inch with the little full lug barrel on it in .38 and I load that with two HBWC at 650 or fps and three +p short barrel rounds as back up. but its more than it needs to be.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:08 am 

guntotin_fool wrote:
I do wish that S&W would reintroduce the 327 in the jframe as the new kit gun, fixed or lo profile sights with a simple ramp front on a 3 inch barrel as the ultimate pocket kit gun. carry it on some popper loads as rabbit or grouse loads, and three more in full ramp .327 as two legged vermin or cat and yote rounds. Every year I go out with the single six and I get more and more convinced this is the perfect all around woods second gun.

I have the little 36-6 3 inch with the little full lug barrel on it in .38 and I load that with two HBWC at 650 or fps and three +p short barrel rounds as back up. but its more than it needs to be.

Hello guntotin_fool
They do currently have one if a -J-frame is your Thing. I am Partial to K-Frame Target Guns though, and they really need to bring the model 16 Back in .327 Magnum. Here is the current Model 632 they offer at a Grand... Regards, Kurt

Home » Revolvers » Small Frame (J)

Small Frame (J) -
Model 632 Carry Comp Pro Series - .327 Magnum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price: $980.00 *

*Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: 170329
Model: 632 Carry Comp
Caliber: .327MAG
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Action: Single/Double Action
Barrel Length: 3" Full Lug
Front Sight: Pinned Serrated Ramp
Rear Sight: S&W Adjustable
Overall Length: 7 1/2"
Weight Empty: 24.5 oz.
Grip: Synthetic
Material: Stainless Steel Frame and Cylinder
Finish: Matte Black

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:13 pm 
Members

It's probably a longshot, but if anyone is interested, there is Bowen/S&W 327 that just arrived on consignment in a local shop.

What I "know" about it: First, it's not mine. Next, the base gun was apparently a square butt M66-1, while the four-inch barrel and cylinder were originally M617 parts. I've handled the gun, and it appears in excellent condition, but I have no real opinion of it (32s do not interest me - not even 327s). IIRC, the asking price is just under $2k.

No dog in this fight (the gun is not mine, etc.). If interested, send PM for contact info (I will try to keep an eye out for at least a few days...).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:57 am 

Hello
I finally got my Wild Cat Mount back yesterday after a 10 Month wait. I had asked the Taxidermist to mount him in a Full action Pose of attack mode. I will eventually add a large Fox squirrel or Rabbit between his paws when I find the right donor. The Taxidermist shared with me that this was the largest Wild Cat he had ever seen or mounted being 41-1/2" in length, and feels it may very well be a Tennessee State record due to it's size Proportion. He said that he had in the past mounted well over 200 cats from all over the United states, but this one was the biggest that he had ever seen or mounted. He had to order Two-forms to mount him on due to his size. He also commented on his eye color as he said most that he had mounted in the past were more brown in color and these eyes were custom ordered from England as they are of much higher quality than those offered in the United states and they seem to follow you across the room. The Mount adjusts up or down by taking down Two 1/2" Nuts located under the base, and there is Two 3/8" steel rods inside the Mold to stiffen the Pose. He will reside in our living room on a custom built corner shelf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:37 am 
Members

Kurt..
That is indeed a great cat and a pretty cool pose.

Thanks for sharing...

W...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:42 am 

Walt Campbell wrote:
Kurt..
That is indeed a great cat and a pretty cool pose.

Thanks for sharing...

W...

Hello Walt
You are very welcome. It now is the first thing that greet's you when you come in our back door into our Den... Kurt