Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: S&W Model 66 question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:59 pm 

Hello
Hopefully this post is appropriate and in the right section. I recently purchased a unfired S&W model 66-1. Prior to purchasing I opened the cylinder and checked the overall condition of the revolver. Anyway I placed it in my safe and it has remained there for a little over a month. Been extremely busy at work and honestly forgot about it. Anyway was getting stuff ready for the range today and decided I would bring the 66 along. I can not get the cylinder open. As I said when I bought it I opened this and it was stiff, but I assumed it was because this was a safe queen. Friend at the range also tried with same results. Suggestions?

There is no visible rust and no parts missing that I am aware of. I can dry fire the revolver and the cylinder turns freely.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:05 am 
Members

One likely possibility: The ejector rod is/was loose and has now unscrewed itself just enough to prevent the cylinder from opening.

The solution: Easier to accomplish than explain... First, the threads are LEFT-HANDED. Next, you have to turn/tighten (COUNTER-CLOCKWISE direction) the ejector rod just enough to allow the cylinder to open. Then, ideally, once the cylinder is open, remove the ejector rod (watch/catch the springs), clean it, apply BLUE locktite to the threads, and reassemble.

Note: A small, plastic or brass, wedge-shaped tool (like a screwdriver) might be needed to assist in turning/tightening the ejector rod before you can open the cylinder. Avoid any temptation to use a needle-nose plier or the like; that will lead to (at best) scratching the ejector rod. Just tighten it enough to allow the open cylinder to open, then you're home free. (Patience is a virtue, don't you know!)

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:41 am 
Members

<SNIP> :)

Last edited by ArtCrafter on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 am 
Members

Forgot to mention: It is, of course, easier to remove and replace the ejector rod if the cylinder and yoke are first demounted from the revolver. (Then again, we first have to get the cylinder open...)

Also, the BLUE locktite treatment outlined above is probably a good idea for S&W revolvers in general: It can save a person exactly this kind of grief (i.e., loosened ejector rod binding cylinder in frame).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:55 am 
Board Member
Board Member

cpd127, You may find it easier to use a business card or thin piece of plastic between the cylinder stop and cylinder to free up the cylinder for rotation; simply slide it betwen the cylinder and stop and leave it there while you rotate the cylinder. Then, you can turn the cylinder with your fingers while restraining the end of the ejector rod to tighten up the ejector to ejector rod and then open the cylinder. As artcrafter stated, the threads are left hand. While I've never found it necessary to use Loc-Tite on the threads (I just snug them down), it should work fine, but be careful to keep any Loc-Tite out of the internal section of the ejector rod/center pin area. Also, do NOT use red or green Loc-Tite for this. Best,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:06 pm 
Members

haha...Don's right of course: His method would be a lot easier.

This is also a primo example of why I am not "in the business" (too much Rube Goldberg influence, I must admit)... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:08 pm 

Thanks guys. I tried Don Williams method first. I figured I would try to use my credit card since every other time I use it for firearms related items it costs me this time was free. I was really worried there for a minute figuring I had an expensive S&W paperweight. I plan on shooting it this week. Thanks again to both of you.