Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:47 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Guys, first a sincere thanks to the craftsman at Heirloom Precision, Ted and Jason for this piece built for my wife. All was taken into consideration for her with small hand size, left handed, and some physical limitations.

The gun is exceptional and the way the rear sight is part of the frame shows a lot of skill as well as planning. The sight just pop ups with the gun is at eye level with the contrast of black over stainless. Action smooth, clean, crisp in both double and single action. There is a lot of fine detail in the piece.

As always, pardon my limited experience at pictures and again, thanks to the craftsmen at Heirloom.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

We have been kicking around a revolver project for several years now and finally got to it. This is the first of four M65's. Two 3 inch depending on work load at Shot and one more 3 inch mid to late summer 2010.

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:14 am 

Terry...thanks for posting this beautiful weapon!! As always it looks like artistic perfection from our dear friends at Heirloom, so no surprises there for any of us I'm sure. I have always been a fan of the Model 65 and in the process of trying to reacquire one that I let go a few years ago that I loved, I can only dream of having a package like this done to her if I'm able to get her back, but MAN can I dream!! That is a fantastic gift and I hope it serves your lovely wife well for many years to come. I also wish for you and your family to have a very Merry Christmas and Happy and Prosperous New Year!! Best regards--John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:00 am 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Terry, I'm glad momma's happy. Cause we all know "When Momma ain't happy, aint nobody happy!"

Thanks for the opportunity to help with her project - when I got started on handguns, revolvers predominated the scene, and S&W's were my favorite. I worked on Pythons a while, but they can be maddening to get right. Always came back to Smiths. Way back when, (before the Dead Sea was even sick) I would pass on fixed sighted Smiths to avoid having to work with the rear sight design, especially the stainless guns because I just couldn't justify painting the rear sight black. The new sight is not only taller, allowing us to use a slightly taller front, but the notch is considerably deeper and wider. The sight picture is the same as a pistol with my retro rear sight - somehow I keep coming back to that one. Must be because it works :wink:

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:03 pm 
Members

Anybody got a 3 inch model 65 I can buy and send in?

Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I have to say it is alot of fun watching Ted work on revos. That sight install is pretty tricky but when this one was done it was well worth it. Wonderful work on a great looking and perfectly flawless functioning S&W 65.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:15 am 

Beautiful work! That's gonna be a great all around carry wheel gun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:43 am 

Gorgeous! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:31 pm 

LOL...Richard, I'd be willing to bet that if having a beauty like this built you could ask Ted to cut-down or screw-in a shorter tube for you! I'd like that a little more myself..so IF you have it done definately post some pics for me!!--John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:28 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Job 1 on these older guns is to remove the barrels and take one complete turn off the shoulder so B/C gap can be reset, and a true, concentric, and chatter-free forcing cone can be cut. It requires cutting back the ejector rod and the center pin accordingly. Once the barrel is off, pretty much anything is fair game. I turned a poorly done 5 1/2" Model 25-2 into a really sweet semi-roundbutt 5" gun recently.

Jason did take some shots of the two 3" sisters to this gun, but he's a little more "finicky" on photo editing than Terry - we should see them soon. Both the 3" guns will be at SHOT, whereafter I'm sure the ever entrepreneurial Mr. Peters will have new homes arranged.

I'll kinda hate to see them go...

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:30 pm 
Members

That rear sight install is over the top. What a great revolver.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:31 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Finally got some time to shoot "Mom's" gun. Put about 100 or so various loads out of it. Really smooth double action and easy to hit plates at 25 yards. Momma will get to shoot it this Thursday or Friday when it drys out a bit.

Terry Peters

@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Well, "Momma" finally got to shoot her gun. Weather and health permitting we got her to the back yard range. She has some physical limitations and is left handed, so we used 38 wadcutter then to 38 Plus P Gold dot 135's. Got about 100 rounds out before she got tired. "Mom" did very, very well. Better than anything she has done in quite a few years. For her to hit to average on an 8 inch center plate 3 or 4 out of 6 shots at 10 to 15 paces is exceptional. Both double action and single action. I have a couple of those steel man size targets with the 8 inch plate swingers in the center. I got plenty of exercise reseting the center plates. All, and this surprised her more than me, all hit our Silhouette's on the plate or just around it. Not one round off of the Silhouette or outside of a good torso hit. She is very proud and very pleased with the gun. She is thrilled with the sight set up, the way the grips are just the right size for her hands, trigger length set for small hands and action is so smooth for her. She never has hit double action before, always single action.

Her previous was maybe 1 or 2 at most at 7 to 10 paces and with several misses.

Her prize Diamondback will be permanently retired and probably sold to help pay for the gun.

A sincere Thanks to the guys and Heirloom on this one. I plan on bringing her down to the Display at Shot as we will see you all there.

Terry Peters

@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:00 pm 
Members

Congrats to "Momma"...she really has something very special. I never really knew what jealousy really felt like before I saw this...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:21 am 

I recently got to hold this wonderful revolver. Two things jump out at you: the rear sight work is amazing only to be out shined by the trigger pull. Very nice Ted...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:43 pm 
Members

Beautimous!!! I just LOVE S&W Revo's, and THAT is one good-lookin' piece! I understand that it is a "Carry Gun" and, as such, MUST BE 100% RELIABLE...but I'm curious what the DA trigger-pull ended up tripping the scale at? Thanks!....mikey357

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:25 am 

OH MAN....I wish Mark would lock this thread so you guys would quit posting and bumping it to the top!! Everytime she comes up again I start thinking naughty thoughts about how to get MY old 65 back from my friend...hmmm, she's scared of clowns and I heard there some gang called the "Insane Clown Possee"..might have to see if they do contract work...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:09 pm 
Members

I have been offered several 65's from a police buy back, how difficult is it to change them back from DAO to regular action? From the price I am being offered, I have some room to work on them without pricing myself out of the game.

I am competent enough to pull the parts out and replace parts, and maybe do some minor fitting, but really want to return the single action option to the guns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:06 pm 
Members

Really beautiful M65...makes me wish I kept my 3-inch M13 so that i could send it to Heirloom.. I recall I sold my 3-inch M13 for $150.. :-(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm 
Members

So this is why I own a 65!!!!!

I love the sights. I was looking for a big dot tritium and some inserts for the rear.

I like the way this one looks.

Mine is just an old service 65 that was blasted and front site repainted in red Duracoat.

Great work!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:29 pm 
Members

"Very nice project", seems to be the perfect house gun for the wife, which also reminds me of a new 65 sitting on the safe... :twisted: mm, ain't gonna be the same with out Ted´s magic anyway... :(

Congrats :D

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:13 am 
Members

G'Day all,
(Watching lots of Aussie DVD's of late; Water Rats, Rush, Blue Heelers, Blackjack, City Homicide, Stingers) :D
<<Good stuff, that>>

Anyone, who may know of a decent conditioned S&W Model 13 or 65, in three inch bbl mode, that has not been abused that would be a good candidate for a beauty makeover, please let me know.
Preferably the price should be less that the collective value of several children and grandchildren. :lol: :lol:
However, I may make an offer that includes both.(Nah! Not really)
Looking at a kind of a hammer bob,Gold bead front sight, DAO, "Fitz" kinda thang.

I DO thank you.
Ari Ariel,

Who is presently laying waste to a generous portion of Full Borough Market Stilton and a pretty decent Claret.
Sadly no Don Tomas Clasicos. Wife will NOT stand for it. 8)
The BEST way to murder a Sunday, that I can think of.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:10 am 
Members

Whilst in the process of picking up my new Rem 870P Mag 12Ga,
I happened to saunter over towards the magnetic North of the Used but not abused handgun section of Lou's Police Supply, in Hialeah,Florida. The outside of the premises is as ugly a bile yellow as you will ever find, but the interior,....Ahhh, the interior. A place of beauty.

So the sales associate, politely asked what I was interested in and could he help. I mumbled my interests, and he caught the part about the S&W Model 65, 3in As I freely drooled all over his nice clean glass counter top.
He said: "I think we took one in on Friday; wait a minute, let me look."
He brought out a 3 inch round butt S&W Model 65, that was tight, clean, and appearantly nearly pristine close to a possibly unfired condition. There were none of the tell tales associated with use.
No decernible holster wear, no pocket lint or other drift down schmutz, no scorching, no cylinder wear lines, scratches, no scoring or polish marks, and I would hazzard a guess that it had very few, if any rounds through it. Extremely tight lock up and very little wobble to the firing pin. The cylinder latch is sharp and tight.
Trigger pull is very tight, hard but smooth with a clean break.
About 3k rounds should smooth that out.
The factory wood stocks had no scratches or marks either, and the screws were clean and un scored.
$399, made it ALL mine. 8)
And THAT is very cool indeed.
I am going to shoot it a while and then maybe have it tarted up a bit.

If you get to South Florida, check out Lou's for some interesting selections of the world of bang,

Ari Ariel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:07 pm 

Ari Ariel wrote:
...the sales associate, politely asked what I was interested in and could he help. I mumbled my interests .. about the S&W Model 65, 3in ...
He brought out a 3 inch round butt S&W Model 65...
$399, made it ALL mine...

Thief! Somebody stop him!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:01 pm 
Members

Why oh why dost thou teaseth me so?

I was happy with my bead blasted and modern gripped 65-5 in 4" , but nooooooooo, I had to come over to revolvers and see this.

Y'all suck, so now, I have to stop paying for my kids college, drop them from insurance, and turn my dog out, just to have you rework my 65.

The lives you ruin, is it worth it?

Hell Yes. All kidding aside, this is really nice. I traded an old SKS ( paid like $50.00 for it way back when they were all "junk" and added the requisite tapco full mall ninja accessories and still had less than $300 in it. SO I am perusing my buddies shop at http://www.Oakridgecustomfinishing.com and there lay the 65-5. sitting, waiting for me. So a trade was made and the original scratched finish was removed by thousands of pneumatically propelled ceramic beads leaving a fine non reflective finish. They repainted the red ramp front with Duracoat and Duplicolor, sweetend the trigger just a tad, and it went home to be king of the safe. Then the 1986 686 6" showed up and now the 65-5 needs some new clothes.

I will be contacting you crack dealers soon. Man I am going to miss that dog.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:47 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Very nice indeed. Maybe my mrs will prefer a revolver to a 1911....

Ted...I am still loooking for that python and now that I know you work on them guess who gets to do the work for me... ;)

JeffVN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

This is a plug also for Ted's revolver work, there were two of these at SHOT 2011, both in three inch and one was a 13 in blue and the other a 65 Stainless.

Terry Peters

@ptpartners_tx