Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:23 am 

Are there any smiths converting 442s or 642s to shoot 9mm ? If so, are they proving reliable ? About how much would this cost ?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:54 am 

Wade,

I've yet to see or hear of a converted new model J-frame to 9mm. I think in part because you can still find a S&W 9 mm J-frame. The Model 940, chambered in 9 mm, 1 7/8" bbl configuration . Offered as a Centennial revolver a close evolutionary relative to the Model 640 in .38SPL. Production started in 1991 (and for a very short time (1991-92) as an optional 3" bbl) wasn't warmly received and unable to sustain big sales. It was discontinued in 1998.

From the few that I've seen of these model, long term use resulted in flame cutting to the top strap due to the higher pressure from 9mm loads.

Good luck and let us know if you decide to customized your J-frame to run 9mm.

LH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:58 am 

Also Wade...if you look back a page or so in the "Guns for sale" section here, one of the big guys here HAD a very nice 940 for sale not too long ago. You also see them pop up pretty often on the various auction sites too. Best regards--John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 pm 

Thanks foe the replies. I knew about the 940. I just thought a lightweight model would be the perfect ccw.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:35 am 

Wade,

Have just considered loading the 158 grain LHP +P .38SPL? I've read some really good feedbacks on these load and have been led to believe that the load works exceptionally well in snub-nosed revolvers. The 158 grain LHP achieves around 580 fps as advertised and offers realiable expansion. You might want to check into this semi-jacketed hollow points as an alternative to the 9mm load velocity and carry an off-the-shelf factory S&W .38SPL revolver.