Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mag-Na-Port Backpacker
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:36 pm 
Members

Back in the 70's Mag-Na-Port made a custom conversion revolver from a Charter Arms BullDog. They called it the "Backpacker". I believe they were serialed numbered from 1 - 200. When Ken Kelly (Mag-Na-Port) showed me pictures of the backpacker, I knew I had to have one. Ken told me I would have to locate an older BullDog without the underlug on the barrel.
About a year ago I found a nice Charter Arms BullDog. It was an older model from the early 70's, and blued. I paid $200.00 for the BullDog. Then off it went to Mag-Na-Port for the conversion. A few days ago I received it back. Some of the things that were done to it was the barrel shortened to 1.75", barrel porting, eliminate the front sight, bobbed hammer, hard chrome finish, and trigger job. I will eventually have Patrick Grashorn make some Elk grips for it.
I shot 25 rounds of Winchester Silver tips through it today. Without a front if you try to aim it, the BullDog shoots all over the place. So I did point & shoot, and it worked pretty good. All this was at about 10 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 pm 

Neat little wheel!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:01 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Those are some big slugs coming out of that little thing!

Good to see MagNaPort is still turning out interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 am 

As much as I admire the ingenuity, there has to be some way to put a front sight on it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:44 pm 

Very cool. I've always wanted one also. I missed one by five minutes at a gun show and I bought a similare one on this site, but the seller backed out.

ML

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:29 am 
Members

I knew a guy who had one for sale years back along with some other neat customs of the era. The Bulldog/Backpacker was in a box and it seems that it was apart or something. In any case, I looked it over and it was loose as a goose. Don't know how many rounds he put through it but I lost interest at about that moment and bought the Pachmayr Combat Special instead.
When the new (one of) Charter Arms came out I was interested in getting one of the Bulldogs to play around and maybe whittle down but they didn't stay around long enough. Neat design that if someone manufactured it with modern techniques and materials, would be a cool, hand stinging, gat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:21 pm 

I'd like to see what MagnaPort would do along these lines with a S&W 629. Even if it was shot 'til it loosened, it would be worth tightening back up...