Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:01 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

This year’s LTW Charity project is finished! A departure from past projects in the manner of it’s disposition, this project is to be auctioned at the Navy Seal Foundation’s premier fundraising event held in NYC Thursday, December 1.

As all are aware, we lost 22 of our finest on August 6 in Afghanistan. This year’s project became a little more meaningful, knowing that the Foundations need had increased so dramatically, and so quickly.

The project started in the shop of Stan Chen. He applied his artistry to the lower end, to include his Progressive Traction frontstrap and mainspring housing treatment. He used his own Max-Bevel mainspring housing, and seamlessly fit the grip safety. No Stan Chen lower end would be complete without his exceptional trigger work - It’s just outstanding!

Stan’s setup left me the task of trying to complement his flawless workmanship. Not easily done, as our styles are not identical - but that’s a good thing. We thrive on challenge.

For my part, the Kart barrel and EGW bushing, added to the great frame and slide fit a good set of components allows make this gun shoot as good as it looks. I used my standard Professional Grade sights with 24K gold line front, serrated the slide top and rear, cut the Colt style cocking serrations, ball cuts, and fit the EGW thumb safety.

Wanting the gun to have a really special look, I chose a set of high grade English walnut slabs to create the stocks, and finished them in hand rubbed oil. All the frame and slide flats were polished dead flat by hand, and blued with a high luster befitting a presentation piece. Nitre blued pins and screws complete the theme.

The case is a special effort, and contains three very unique coins. One is a coin from the old Naval Special Warfare Foundation, one from The new Navy Seal Foundation, and the third is from Naval Special Warfare Command. They make a beautiful addition to the package.

To further commemorate the set, a flag was donated by the Foundation, which we cased to match the pistol.

We’re aware that some are disappointed that there will be no LTW raffle this year. The Foundation felt, and we believe rightly so, that a better result could be achieved by the auction, and after all, that’s the reason behind our efforts. Rest assured, we have not forgotten the participation and support of our members, and we will keep you all posted as new projects unfold.

I hope you all enjoy the photos. Tony Hernandez graciously donated his time and skill to shoot them.

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:22 pm 

Gorgeous!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Greg Lieng wrote:
Gorgeous!

That pretty well sums it up! :wink:

Guys, the pictures are awesome (thanks Tony!) but the gun is truly even better in person and it's very cool to know how much good this set will end up brining to the NSF.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:33 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

This piece has a special meaning this year more so than any other. Congratulations and a work of art for a more than worthy cause.

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Looks good Ted. Good luck with the auction.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 am 

The pistol is awesome! I just wish I had more time with it for photography. I woke up this morning with ideas for a few additional shots. Then I realized I didn't have it anymore. Arg!! Thanks to Mr. T. Ray Yost for including me in the LTW 9 project. I am always honored to be of service to this fine group of professionals who are looking to make a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:17 pm 
Members

beautiful

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:55 pm 
Members

This is a great cause, and I hope that the gun raises some real good money. It looks sensational.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:33 pm 

WOW what a beautiful gun. i am sure it will bring big$$$$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:12 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Stupendous work lads...... that is a perfect combination given who the beneficiary is. Beside the fine work on the pistol, all that woodwork really puts the package in a class by itself.... all the extra effort shows!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:33 am 

You all are the best! Beautiful and a fantastic way to help out a great group of people.

Brett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:20 am 

Stunning is the only word I can think of. Too bad I didn't win the Powerball Wednesday night. It would have become mine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:28 am 
Members

wow. Well done fellas. Always liked the raffle method because it gave everyone a legit shot at potentially winning, but an auction pretty much rules out this underpaid .gov employee. Hope they get some big spenders to bid though. This looks like one hell of a shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:16 am 
Board Member
Board Member

'branch, we think this one could go really, really big and so do a lot of good...... but we haven't forgotten how we got here..... stay tuned.

We gonna see you in Vegas this year?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:31 am 

Anybody know how the auction went. It was last night right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:23 am 
Members

Masterfully Done Lads!! Masterfully Done!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:14 pm 

Anyone on the forum win the auction? What did it fetch? Just curious...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:48 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Guys, sorry for the dearth of info. The way the auction went, with combined items being auctioned as lots, and with NSF's holiday activities, it has been a little difficult getting a parsed-out number for the gun package. We're working on it and you'll know when we know...... thanks for your patience.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:03 pm 
Members

Yep, who was the high bidder?

Too bad the raffle didn't work out as I was hoping to give again this year to NSF vs having it taken by the IRS.

I'm sure it's the workmanship that the spectacular pics (wow Tony) bring out, but that is a breath taking pistol. Good job guys and thanks for giving back to those that protect us all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Sorry for the delayed announcement! This year's effort was different in that we were not able to draw a winner and enjoy the experience firsthand of seeing one of our own actually win the gun package as a raffle prize. After two years of working successfully with the Naval Special Warfare Foundation, we elected to stay with the new Navy SEAL Foundation - many of the same people, and with the same mission. The new Foundation felt that the package would be best presented at their annual New York City Fundraising Gala, rather than administering a raffle. We agreed that LTW's main interest was in raising the most money possible for our selected charity, and there was no denying that the attendees at this dinner would be donating far in excess of what we mortals could afford. It was surely the biggest bang for buck arrangement for all involved.

All that said, people are interested in how the auctionatually went, and how much the pistol package raised. The guns donated were all combined with auction packages that included other merchandise, and in the case of our package an offsite firearms training opportunity for four, including airfare and accommodations. According to the numbers provided by the Navy SEAL Foundation, the firearms packages raised over $200,000 at auction, including $70,000 for the package including the LTW gun and flag combo. The total amount raised during this one event was 5.5 MILLION DOLLARS!

While we were disappointed that a raffle wasn't offered this year, we can all agree that with the loss of 22 good men on August 6th of last year that the Foundation has and will continue to have elevated responsibilities to these families and others within the NSW community. We are truly glad and impressed that their evening was such a success.

Thanks to all of our own for their hard work, including Tony Hernandez for taking the fantastic photos.

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Awesome numbers!

The training opportunity mentioned was not a weekend shooting class with one of the well-known names in the training biz, this was something very different and very special, something that a person doesn't just plunk down tuition for and go to. Training that is simply "not available" generally. So, in a way, priceless. Priceless, and yet, if you did put a price on it, well, we like to think that LTW #9 constituted a good chunk of the value received for that $70 grand winning bid.

The identity of the high bidder on this package is not disclosed. NSF has quite a following of ardent and generous supporters, and like the SEALs themselves, these patriotic patrons don't go for publicity. They support this cause because it's the right thing to do, and LTW is very proud to have played a part in enticing them to dig deep once again!

At the SHOT Show, the LTW booth was a little bit of a SEAL hangout. Some of us know some of them from doing custom gun work or other business with them. It was a real honor to have several of them stopping by to chat during the show, and the many servicemen and women from other branches as well. Thanks for all you folks do!

Awesome numbers.... oh, did I already say that? Awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Without question Stan and Ted did a fantastic job on the gun. It really is a great opportunity when you get to help follks like the Navy Seals who have lost so much in terms of their personnel over the past year.

It also comes down to all of you who continue to support our efforts and keep these projects going. Stay tuned.....LTW is going to get interesting here in the next few months.

Thanks again to everyone who supported this project.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr