Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:55 pm 
The winner of our first LTW gun was Major Bill Jones. He wrote us to say the following:

Bill Jones wrote:
The pictures just arrived today and I will forward them now. My girlfriend and I have been very busy..she just started a new job, etc.

So some 411/info on "That Lucky Slob". I'm an NRA Life Member, retired Regular Army Infantry Officer and a Desert Storm Vet, working on my 10th year as a Peace Officer in Philly. I had just spent over $1,400. on improvements alone to bring a Colt .45 Commander up to carry speed. Yep, I love Colt .45 pistols. One was given to me by my father when I received my Regular Army Commission. After a whole lot of improvements, today, that Colt .45 is with my nephew. I passed it on to him when he graduated West Point. A family tradition continues.

I really need a good off duty piece to protect my family, to include a 6 year old girl. Some people have terrible coping skills and serious impulse control problems. They even carry grudges. "Elenore" has she has been named by one of her creators has been protecting us since the day after her arrival.

I couldn't take her home the first night. The phone/criminal background check wasn't working. Everyone at the gun shop was in enthralled with this "Museum Quality" work of art. Elenore does draw a crowd. One of the guys behind the counter said "So Bill, are you going to put her up and away?" I was signing in to use the range...my eyes snapped onto his and I smiled..."Sir, we're lighting this candle...give me a case of the good stuff." I zeroed her in and fired about 200 rounds. Just to let you know, I bought her pearls. A set of Eagle, Mother- of-Pearl grips, with gold Colt Madellons just arrived this minute. I've fired the weapon about 10 times now and let others fire the weapon (a little touch of heaven...I thought you guys would approve). LTW#1 is absolutely outstanding! It puts the work of the Philadelphia Pistol Smith to shame. Even with a match barrel, a slide and trigger job, et all, the Commander isn't close to the LTW#1.

To all the Artists who created this Masterpiece...Thank you. You are "Artists' of the first house, of the first and second cause" Shakespear. Bottomline, I feel like I don't own this pistol. It's a work of art that has been entrusted to my watch...and will be protecting me and my family for generations to come. Thank you all :-)

To Mr. Chuck Rogers... Sir...milling the top of the weapon flat, the arrow pattern, the French borders, cutting the barrel flush, re-crowning it, adding the match barrel extractor...wonderful...outstanding!

To Mr. Tim Brian... Sir...your checkering, high-cutting the frame, those wonderful Kingwood grips with your autograph (What kind of wood is that any way?), the mag-well bevel and the feed ramp work... again magnificent!

To Mr. Stan Chen...Sir...your trigger job ("Break-glass"), the extended ejector, the grip and thumb safeties...Great!

To Mr. Lou Alessi...Sir...Your work sir is "Museum Quality"..."Fine don't fade". I'm proud to have such one of a kind leather. Regarding your case...Luckily, I'm so well grounded in my own masculinity, that I rather feel like a "Contenential" carrying the LTW#1 in this manner.

And to Mr. Ted Nugent...Thank you for your autograph and your fine work with the Kamp for Kids.

We are extremely pleased that our winner is someone like Bill. Thank you for your service, and Congratulations Bill!

Last edited by madman on Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:06 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Anybody coulda won #1..... somehow I'm really, really glad it was Bill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:48 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Veerry Kewl! Glad it went to a good home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:19 am 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
Anybody coulda won #1..... somehow I'm really, really glad it was Bill!

Very well said, Ned. I feel exactly the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:17 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Sounds like #1 found a good home, Bill!

Thanks for helping support our cause, and for your service to our country.

Cheers, Tim

Post subject: Good going Bill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:39 am 
Members

Bill,

I must agree with all the others on this site. If we had to hand pick a winner we could not have done a finer job.

Welcome aboard and stay around this is a fine place to hang your hat.

Gary Morris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:48 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

It really does sound like #1 found the right home.

I think I'd rather he get it than I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:58 pm 

A great home for #1.. I am glad to see it isn't going to become "a safe queen".

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:01 pm 

I am still envious, but at least it went to a decent hard working guy who intends to use it. I would even use it with the Nuge signed ivories, it would work wonders doing community based policing; I could show kids that Ted Nugent signed my gun and then go into detail about self sacrifice and giving back to the community like all the talented folks that made LTW possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:32 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Major Jones,

Thank you, Sir, for your service, and it's good to know LTW#1 is in good hands. May it serve you and your family well.

GOD Bless you and yours.

~Jim Keeney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Thank you All! And look, it only took me 10 Months to figure out how to get on this board...well I may be slow, but I get there.

I LOVE THIS WEAPON ! ! ! Thank you all again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:07 am 
Bill Jones Winner LTW#1 wrote:
Thank you All! And look, it only took me 10 Months to figure out how to get on this board...well I may be slow, but I get there.

I LOVE THIS WEAPON ! ! ! Thank you all again :D

Welcome Bill. Glad you could join us.

How's #1 shooting?

--Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:09 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Hey! Good to "see" you here!
Congratulations again!

Now, how about a report on how it's doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:01 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Hi Mark, Hi Barry, Hi guys....

Mark...it's LTW#1...it has to shoot like a dream...and it does :lol:
With the different grips, it's like owning two different Colts. I have retired the Ivory Grips because of Mr. Nugent's autograph.

Yeah, I thought about some sort of clear covering for the Ivory Grips to perserve the autograph. Then I remembered I have to hire 10 year old kids to put the Christmas toys together, because I have no skill at all in that area. It ain't really broke so I won't try and fix it.

The Mother of Pearl grips look great and yes, I'm aware of General Patton's view on Mother of Pearl grips. I don't really screw down the MoP grips, which Elenore usually wears and I won't fire the weapon unless I have to, with the MoP grips on. But I know if I do...it will be for a "Very Good Reason" :D

Head shots at 50 feet are nothing..."Elenore" goes through Extreme Shock Fang Face rounds, like my youngest "Bethie" goes through Happy Kids Meals. I'm still learning this weapon, new surpises each time out. I walk the dog, Elenore is on my right hip...We go out to eat or to the store, Elenore is under my left arm and my Colt Commander is under my right...OK, so I like "New York Reload" shoulder holsters. I also carry two spare mags..."Cause you never know." Psst guys...not everybody loves the ol Law Dog :cry: I know...color you suprised.

What I usually do for defense mags is to load'em so that the first 3 rounds are Fang Face, then 2 Gold Dot Hollow Points or Cor Bon HP's, then one Full Metal Jacket to punch through cover. I usually only load six to keep the magazines springs from eventually failing...although, I never had a mag spring failure.

Bottom line...I don't know how to discribe it...the weapon just feels right...something goes bump in the night...you wrap your hand around this work of art...and you just know things will be alright :D