Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:16 am 
Barry McCown from Stilesville, Indiana.

Congratulations Barry, and thanks to all of you who participated.

Stay tuned, for the next one....it's gonna be BIG!

--Mark

Last edited by madman on Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:04 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Barry!! Good job and congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Congrats Barry! That is great.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:03 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

First, a big THANK YOU!
What an honor.

Let me get this typed before I wake up.

I just got off the phone with Mark Downing (I thought I'd better claim it FAST). Like I told him, the shakes were starting, so I was having trouble writing Yost-Bonitz's address down.
I can hardly type right now. I sure as hell can't talk.

Of course I haven't seen it in person yet, but I already know that I AM NOT DESERVING OF SUCH A FINE SET.

I am truly honored and humbled.

Like the first winner, I feel you deserve to know some about the person that won the big prize. I've been around here a while, but will post a belated intro later. I'm probably making little sense right now.

I've said a few times here that I really appreciate all the hard work and aggravation that must go into making a project like this happen. All I've done is to sit at a computer while our baby napped in my lap, and buy a couple of tickets.
Thanks to everyone who worked on organizing this, the artists who created it, and especially the other ticket buyers.

It already felt pretty good to help the Kids Kamp. Now, it looks like I'll be safeguarding some material examples of this project, and that is indeed an honor.

Thank you again, EVERYONE involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:11 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I knew I wasn't thinking straight.
A big thank you to the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen, and Coast Guardsmen for going in harm's way, making the world safe for us to engage in these pursuits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:37 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Congrats, Barry. Glad to see one of the LTW family win!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:04 am 

congrat's barry,sounds like it went to a great home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:00 am 

Congratulations, Barry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:00 am 

Congrats. I am glad that one of the LTW guys won this drawing, I'm just jealous it wasn't me. Out of curiosity what was the winning number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:21 am 

Congrats Barry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:45 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Barry, First let me congratulate you on several levels. For donating to help a worthy cause, for being part of this wonderful LTW family and for caring about those who others may not.
Use it in good health and prosperity my friend.
Al

Post subject: Good Going
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:31 pm 
Members

Barry,

Good going on winning such a grand prize. What better than to give to a good cause and be rewarded with such a fine bunch firearms and memories.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Good for you Barry… Congratulations! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:01 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Barry,

Congratulations and thank you. May you use them in good health and be blessed in every way.

~Jim Keeney

Post subject: Congrats
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:31 pm 

Enjoy. Looking forward to a report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:59 pm 
And just one more update for you guys....

We raised $9500 for Kamp for Kids! It was a fantastic effort, and great results for an impromptu raffle.

THANK YOU ALL!

The next one is in the works. And it will be big.

--Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:28 pm 

Outstanding, congrats! :D

Post subject: Huzzah!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:22 am 

Congrats to all who donated to the cause and even the so and so who won my stuff :lol: !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:34 am 

It's good to see the kind of response both of the LTW raffles have had. Both winners should be proud of their winnings but mostly they should be proud to be a part of the LTW crowd and proud of their contribution to a great cause. I wish you the best of luck with your new combo Barry, use it in good health. Everyone should keep the Gulf Coast States, Survivors and Family of 9-11-01 and our servicemembers in their prayers and thoughts.

Post subject: Not really LTW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:37 am 
Members

This last raffle was not really a LTW raffle. It was something held over and above our LTW raffles. This raffle was put on to raise money for a permanent Kamp for Kids.
The official LTW #2 raffle will be held once again at the shot show this year.

I think Al and Jim and the others that donated the items and time to this special raffle deserve the special recognition a gift of the heart should receive.

God Bless all involved.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:47 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE MANY MESSAGES OF CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

What a great group to consider myself a part of!
If nothing else, it's been around 24 hours since I got the news, and no one has tried to run me off the road.
Nor shoot me in the back.
My tires have stayed up.
Maybe I can take the Vickers off the mount and go to bed now.

Just kidding. I don't even have a Vickers.

Really, I have received congratulation messages via email, PMs, and this thread, and all were sincere, and I appreciate all. That's the best gift in the prize package.

As I said before, it feels good just to help out the Kamp For Kids.
Winning the prize package is a bonus. A very, very, nice bonus, but a bonus.
I think EVERYONE here knows and feels that helping the Kamp was the purpose of all this, not trying to win a prize. My eyes have clouded up a few times thinking about that fact.
I received messages from the two gentlemen that donated the guns- Al Shear and Jim Keeney- who certainly feel that the cause is what matters. Had I not already known that before, I would have from their messages. Thanks, guys.

There were a couple of things that happened yesterday to put things in perspective.

Yesterday morning, I called a Realtor/Auctioneer to put my Mother's house up for sale and auction her property. She has decided to sell everything and stay in the "senior care center" she has been in since breaking her shoulder (again) this Summer.
I had just finished that rather difficult call, and sat down to collect my thoughts. The closest chair was in front of the computer. I checked our email while sitting there, and saw I had a PM at LTW.
It was good news, at a good time!

When my wife got home from work yesterday evening, I had printed up pages of info on the raffle to show her. I had info about the Kamp, the guns, the holster, the X200 light. I had the announcement that I had won. I was ready to rattle on and on (kinda like now).
My wife started talking about a friend she spoke with earlier that day, and some health problems they are facing with their young child.

As I thought about their child, and looked at our own, winning the raffle seemed pretty insignifigant. It sure made me think about the raffle's cause again.

OK, since you may want to know something about the guy who got our prizes, I'll tell a little about me. By the way, I consider them "our" goodies, as it was a group effort in so many ways. I'll just be taking care of "our" guns.

It might be more romantic if it were so, but the guns aren't going to someone who kicks in doors for a living. Far from it.
I haven't kicked in a door since college.

I'm a Dad.
I'm a Dad who collects, shoots, carrys, trains and competes with guns, but I'm still "just a Dad". No door-kicker, or snake-eater.

I was an aircraft mechanic and lead aircraft mechanic with an airline for 17 years. I went out on Extended Illness Status in early 2001 with a back injury/condition I had since 1989, that had steadily worsened. That situation became permanent when my back got worse; the evil of 9-11 changed the airline industry; and we found that I could manage to handle "Mom" duties.
I became a stay-at-home-Dad.

That changed my shooting interests. I became more defensive shooting-oriented. Up to that point, the bulk of my shooting had been NRA Highpower Rifle competition in years past. Although I had a carry permit (except for seven years in Illinois) I had taken no formal defensive shooting training. I read all I could, but couldn't seem to get to a real trainer.

Now for my training rant...
If you are planning on getting training someday, do it now. If you think you don't need it, you're wrong. But if you want it- Don't put it off like I did. Something will come up that makes it harder to get, yet make the need greater. After my back was injured, I needed training more (couldn't run away, let alone fight), but it was harder to get to. Same with having kids- I had more to protect, but less time available for training. Find a way to go. Make time, save pocket change, whatever you need to do.

Sorry, but this has become sort of a mission of mine.
I put off training for a long time, and now see that was a mistake.

Becoming both Dad and mother lion made me change that. I only had to watch the news or read the paper once in a while to know that a Dad walking with a cane, hunched over and limping, while keeping two little girls close, was an easy-looking target to lots of nasty people.

After back surgery in 2003 enabled me to travel more than 20 minutes at a time, I started seeking out training. Money still doesn't come easy with a single income and medical expenses, but I started scraping together small amounts here and there until I could get some real training. I've managed to go to a couple of places now. Most recent was Louis Awerbuck's Stage I Pistol (highly reccomended).
Now that I'm getting a "fightin' shotgun", I may have to look at his shotgun classes next year!

I have played with about every gun design out there, and carried most, including a Bren Ten. For one reason or another, I kept coming back to a 1911 or Browning HiPower. The exception is an HK P7M8, which is nice when I can't hide a 1911 or HP in some clothing (church and funerals come to mind).

My first carry gun was a S&W M19, 6" barrel, 3Ts, and of course, nickel plated. It rode in a junky Safariland 101 shoulder holster that it came with, until I could afford to order an El Paso Saddlery Threepersons holster and Ranger belt. This was 1980, and I was 15 years old. It was my Dad's gun, I just paid for it, ya know.

Next was a S&W 25-5 45 Colt with 4" barrel. I went shorter, but wider.

Sometime around 1987 or 88, I made things easy for myself and got my first 1911- a Springfield Armory kit gun. Remember those? I had it together in a minute, but made it into a fun winter project. I learned a lot about the 1911 from that gun. The configuration it ended up in is about the way I like them best now- no FLGR, easily seen fixed sights (I like Heinies best), no holes in the trigger, no ambi safety, no internal Series 80 or Series II safety, and no plastic parts.

The Operator I'm getting fits that description to a T. It's almost like I ordered it just the way I wanted. I don't have a "rail pistol", so it is like I just sat down and ordered one.

It even comes with a variation of my favorite belt holster- the Alessi CQC/S! I usually carry IWB, but do carry OWB some, and have Alessi CQC/Ss for any gun that I carry. I didn't have one for a rail gun, and would've needed one!

The "house shotgun" has been an old Ithaca 37 for a long time. It could use some things, and in light of Ithaca's recent closing, should perhaps be retired.
Another big stroke of luck to get that 870.

I've drooled over the pictures in Yost-Bonitz's website for a while. The addition of the shotgun package and it's pics were pretty exciting news for me. I figured up countless guns on their "Gunbuilder", but knew I was just dreaming. I thought if I inherited some money from a long-lost aunt I might be able to send them a 1911 or HiPower, but even then, thought a Y-B shotgun was really dreaming.

I know some will want to know "What is he going to do with the prizes?"

I know that if some people won them, they would put them away somewhere and never shoot them.
Others might sell them.

I'M GOING TO SHOOT THEM.

That's what they were made for to begin with.
They were later refined by the Y-B craftsmen to make them more efficient and easy to manipulate.
They will be shot.
I will no doubt use them to safeguard my wife and two little girls.
It's not a kicking in doors or eliminating terrorists, but it's a noble job in my my mind nonetheless.

I will give them range workouts and post reports on LTW so everyone can see how OUR guns are doing. If I get another training opportunity in the future (money is tight) and one or both guns go, I'll share that info also.

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to try to assure everyone that they were getting a good home, and were greatly appreciated. I also want to remind everyone again (like it needs it) the reason for the raffle.

Proud to get the prizes, but prouder to be a part of LTW.
Thank you again- everyone,

Barry McCown
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:31 am 
Members

Congrats. Make sure to post some pics of you enjoying your new toys.

Post subject: 870
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:17 am 
Members

I might have missed them completely but, I can't remember seeing any pictures of the 870 or the whole package in one shot. Steve are there any around??

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:33 am 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

We never did get any pictures of the 870. Steve's been so busy of late that we couldn't tie him down. It doesn't mean the shotgun's not pretty! The only modification we did on the gun was to have the trigger guard housing re-anodized in black. The gun wears rifle sights with a fiber optic front, a sidesaddle, and synthetic stock and forend. As shotguns go, it's downright elegant!

Congrats, Barry. I've got a box packed for you!

Thanks again to Al and Jim. You guys are aces in my book!

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:14 pm 

Barry in IN wrote:

It might be more romantic if it were so, but the guns aren't going to someone who kicks in doors for a living.

I'm a Dad.

And that, sir, is the best thing you can be. Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:16 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Barry,

Just to echo Chip's thoughts...

I was reading this post right after I sent you a PM, and when I hit the part where you were "just" a dad, I knew I'd have to chime in here. I'm a new teacher at one of the less elegant middle schools in Richmond. On a daily basis, I see the results of kids not having a father figure at all, and being a dad is one of the best things a guy can be. In my humble opinion, the only thing more important than being a dad is being a mom, and if you're doing even a decent job at trying to play both, you're doing an amazing thing.

This shotgun may actually suit you pretty well since your back isn't 100%. It is relatively lightweight as far as 12 gauge shotguns are concerned, and it is very "utilitarian" in form. A bit of a jack-of-all-trades gun. Dave Sams did the work on it for me originally, and while it is not pretty (it was never meant to be), it does many jobs well. When it went to Ted it was far from new in box like Al's Springfield, so the re-anodized trigger housing will make a HUGE difference in its appearance.

Thank you Ted and all at Yo-Bo for making this whole thing possible. Thank you so very much, my friend, Al Shear, for putting this effort into motion by being the gracious and giving man you are. Thank you, Barry, for supporting this raffle, and thank you even more for being "just" a dad. Your family is blessed to have you. :wink:

~Jim Keeney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:28 pm 

Barry-
This is awesome... you're a lucky man!! I am glad these are going to a good home. Once again a big salute to the men that made this possible, Al, Jim, all the guys at Yo-Bo and here at LTW! You are gentlemen of the highest order.

Congrads
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:18 pm 

Witherspoon wrote:
Barry in IN wrote:

It might be more romantic if it were so, but the guns aren't going to someone who kicks in doors for a living.

I'm a Dad.

And that, sir, is the best thing you can be. Keep up the good work.

+1 to that and glad to hear they are going to get wrung out.....often. Congrats!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:37 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Barry and I have PMd and thanked each other in the requisite manner but there is more to say.
I could not think of a finer person that I would hand a prize to than him. That is a defintion of a man in my book! To be in his position and not give in, not give up, not feel sorry for oneself and still go about the daily business of wanting to protect his family and raise children. My seldom given compliment sir, I AM IMPRESSED!
Thank you for bringing your spirit of kindness, determination and giving to this great forum! And to helping a cause like the TNKFK!
Your friend always,
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:58 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Ted Yost wrote:
Congrats, Barry. I've got a box packed for you!

Thanks. I have a signed copy of an FFL on it's way to you!

Thanks again everyone, for the kind words.