Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: THE LTW #1
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

In the day to day treading in the sea of work, kids, your profession, and all the obligations that seem so important it is easy to forget how fortunate you are just having the things you do. We get caught up in what we see as most important....US.

Well, others aren't so fortunate. The firearms industry is filled with great people. Just look at the advent of the internet and the forums. Most of the people you message back and forth would actually help you, sight unseen.

That is what has happened recently in the custom gunsmithing arena. Eight of the country's best craftmen have gotten together and decided that as good as the industry has been to them, they would like to pay some people back. The kids. I remember my first .22. It was a Winchester bolt action job that I just about shot until it wouldn't shoot no more. Most of us remember those times.

Alot of kids these days don't have those opportunities. http://www.LouderThanWords.us was started by these eight craftsman who have decided to build a few guns a year for charity. Kids will actually benefit from donated tiime, labor, parts, guns, and compassion.

Louder Than Words is.
Ted Yost
Chuck Rogers
Tim Brian
Ned Christiensen
Don Williams
John Harrison
Stan Chen
Lou Alessi

The first gun built by three of these individuals is pictured below. The leather was done by what some have called the "Prince of the industry" That about sums it up. Congratulations and Thank You to Chuck Rogers, C.T. Brian, and Stan Chen for their unbelievable work on this gun. And an obvious thank you to Lou Alessi for going above and beyond to create the leather items that accompany this fine pistol.
As they have all agreed, actions speak louder than words. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

http://www.louderthanwords.us

The #1 was built on a new reproduction Colt Series 70.

The LouderThanWords logo as it will appear on every gun built. Coupled with sight cuts by Chuck Rogers.
Chuck also added the flat topped and serrated slide, which speaks for itself.

The rear of the ever popular Bo Mar sight and the perfectly cut rear of the frame and slide, and a glimpse of the carry bevel.
A perfect example of what Chuck can do with a milling machine. Front cocking serrations, french borders, and traditional ball end cuts. Unbelievable Chuck.
The checkering was done by C.T. "Tim" Brian. Tim needs no introduction. He has been one of the best in the business for a long time.

The magazine well also by Tim is expertly cut.

Tim finished his part of the project with the slide stop and the accompanying beveled pin hole.

Stan Chen of Legacy Custom Products had his way with the safeties. Stan has certainly made his mark in the custom 1911 business.
Stan also provided the action components by Cylinder and Slide and trigger job which is phenomenal. Perfect glass break trigger.

Hang in there, it is time for the leather...............Absolutely stunning.

Lou Alessi created his ACP-S in sharksking with a matching double mag pouch.

This about says it all coming out of what most consider the establishment in custom leather.
The hard part is wrapping your head around the one of a kind custom attache case Lou created. The inner holster holds two mags and the pistol. Nothing like it. Sweet Lou.

The inner holster and mag pouch consructed of water buffalo, that rides inside the attache.

Just about the entire package. The LTW #1.

Almost forgot, it was unanimous it had to come with ivories fit by Ted Yost, and donated by Jason Burton. Thanks Jason a very nice gesture, they look great.

FYI, the LTW #2 project is underway and being built by Ned Christiansen and John Harrison. You can only imagine what those two could come up with. Just a hint....it is unreal. 8)

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Steve Bailey on Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:15 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:38 pm 

I am in AWE!!! That is magnificent!!! Well done gentleman!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:03 am 

WOW!!! :shock: Absolutely breathtaking!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:12 am 

Splended pistol, leather and photography. Congratulations gentlemen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:57 am 

A marvelous overview, of a truly special project!

Be well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:39 am 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Great photos, Steve.

Kudos to The Bailey fellow, too. He put in a LONG day helping with the final prep and finish. After Spending the afternoon in the blueing room with me ( probably 150 degrees ), and the early evening out behind the shop with me grinding ivory ( we're not allowed to stink up the shop - Lew's rules :roll: ), he retired to the balmy confines of his garage where he does his photo work. Just a guess, but if he spent 15 minutes all day in less than 110 degrees I'd be really surprised. The good news is it's really easy to drop a few pounds on a day like that! ( Not that you need to Steve - you're a perfect specimen in my view :P )

It's hard work, and doesn't go unappreciated. Thank you, Steve.

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It was alot of fun spending a Saturday night with a gun like that. See what my life has turned into? Seriously, you would be very hard pressed to find a bobble on this one. The pictures don't do it justice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:23 am 
Members

I have been given the opportunity to be among the greatest of the great and it is beyond words. I look at the methods and designs of the different Master Smith's and have come to realize that this is not a job for these men this is pure pleasure.

No one could put so much of themselves into something if the love of perfection was not there. Ted thank you for all you have helped me realize about myself and others over the years I have known you. I feel very close to you even though we have never meant.

Finally to everyone here you have done a great thing. Now I am very interested to see what even greater results come from your gestures of kindness.

Gary Morris

Last edited by Gary Morris on Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:00 pm 
Members

If coveting is a sin, then I guess I am off to confession :shock:

Simply perfect. Where is the raffle ticket or auction site????

Lenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:34 pm 
Members

WOW!!!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:52 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Chuck, Tim, Stan, Lou, Ted, Steve, Jason,

You guys all did a great thing! :D What a superb pistol! All of the pics are duly copied to my LTW archieve. Whoever the lucky person is that takes that bad-boy home will have a smile that'll last a lifetime.

I am reminded what an honor it is to be allowed to participate in the LTW endevour. Keep your eyes open for some in-the-white pics of LTW #2 within about a week or ten days. I found a couple of more things that I wanted to do and need one more shooting session, before metal prep and pics.

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:20 pm 

I think there is only one thing better than the looks of this pistol and leather, that has to be the sentiment and generousity behind it being gifted to benefit kids.

Kudos to all involved.

http://www.harmscustomdesigns.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:40 am 

Gentlemen, an outstanding piece of art and craftmanship. This will truly be an heirloom for somebody.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:13 am 
Board Member
Board Member

You sure do take purdy pictures, Steve. :wink:

Thanks to you and Ted for taking the 'heat' on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:36 am 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Congrats go out to every one involved in this one. The gun and leather look incredible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:31 am 
Administrator
Administrator

For once I’m at a loss for words! :shock: :shock: What a stunning piece!!!

The gun pictured here is so much more than just the sum of its parts and the work involved... this gun’s got soul!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:24 pm 

What a pleasure to view these works of art, a beautiful display of craftmanship!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:30 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Absolutely gorgeous!
Proof that something CAN be done by committee!
Beautiful all around, but no less than what I expected, both from looking at pics of other examples of the work on here, and by experiencing Mr. Alessi's work first hand.

Great pictures also, I might add.

I'm happy to have been able to watch it piece together through the magic of the internet for the past couple of months. I can only guess what it's like to be a part of it.
You deserve sprained shoulders giving yourselves pats on the back.

May it stay well lubed and have the honor of being fired daily, never seeing the darkness of a safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

On behalf of everyone involved, thanks for all the things everyone has mentioned. Barry is right, being a part of this is alot of fun. The work that comes with it is nothing short of enjoyable. The pictures are easy, the work as you can tell is a little complicated. We should be making an announcement in the near future regarding raffle tickets and how to obtain them.
Steve

Post subject: Awesome work!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:30 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

It goes without saying I suppose...simply awesome work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:43 am 
Members

Gentlemen,

Absolutely stunning. Very Impressive work (and photos). You have chosen a worthy beneficiary of your labor, the Ted Nugent Kamp for Kids.

Though I will purchase as many chances to win LTW #1 pistol as I can (I think I'll have a problem getting it into Kalifornia if I win), I would like to make the photos, my computer monitor desktop background.

-- At least I can look at the photos and be jealous of the winner. --

As good as the photos are in the LTW Forum - Where would I go to get the original, larger, images?

BTW, You think my wife will suspect anything if I refinance the house?

Cypher1911

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:34 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Every once in a while the random thought comes along: Do I have any regrets in life?

Dang it man, I'm starting to regret ever signing on with LTW since it disqualifies me from buying tickets to this gun!!

TICKETS ARE ON SALE, TICKETS ARE ON SALE! Yahooo! Some lucky cuss is gonna get this awesome package....... seems like the winner ought to have to do more than just buy a ticket.... I mean, can we at least give him the "you won, dude" call at, say, 3:30 AM? :twisted:

I hadn't reviewed this thread for a while. I'm not easy to please when it comes to custom guns and leather but...... stupendous work, all!

Last edited by Ned Christiansen on Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:07 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Last night, I decided to have a look at the LTW site. Whatta mistake!

I'm 50 years old, I've lived through some of civilation's most evolutionary times, I've raised a family, expect to have some grandchildren to spoil someday soon, had a good career and a great side business.

In short, I've been around the block and shouldn't get as excited as I did last night when I saw the raffle for #1 was really getting off the ground.

After dragging my wife in to look at the computer (twice :oops: ) I tried to get some sleep. I tossed & turned most of the night from the excitement and pride of being involved with LTW. I mean it! I feel like a kid discovering all the thrills of being a grown up. :shock: 8) :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Thanks for letting me be a part of LTW and Thanks to all that are making this happen!

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

John,
Guys like you are the reason LTW exists my man. The chemistry between all has been very cool. Our membership and people like Jason Burton and John Del Pinto who have accepted some of the load deserve a big thanks at Shot Show. This has been more fun than I expected.

I also sat in amazement last night realizing that this 747 of a project worked, and worked with all of us.

Cool stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:44 am 
Board Member
Board Member

What an honor it is to be involved with such a great group.

Very humbling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:02 pm 

Please, let me sum this up for everybody that didn't contribute on the build----I can't wait to buy tickets in hopes of owning this piece of art

thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:24 pm 

The latest American Handgunner magazine has an article by this forum's own Jason Burton featuring LTW#1 and the founding members of LTW. Congratulations Jason, nice article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

That article was outstanding and kudos to Roy Huntington for allowing one of the best new writers in the business to break in on AH. Jason's knowledge of builders, the 1911, and the history is impressive. We are lucky to have him.