Visit us on facebook

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LTW #2 update -w- pics
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:45 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Mr. Bailey posted this on the #1 version-3 thread and I didn't want to mix up stuff on #1 & #2, so I started this thread.

Steve Bailey wrote:
I can't wait until the Harrison/Christiansen shooter is ready to go. Got some cool stuff lined up for it.

Well, the Nedster is definitely due top billing on this blaster, I'm just riding along on his coat tails!

I've been slower getting finished with this gun than I ever intended to be, but last night I jumped what I hope will be the last hurdle on my end of the work.
Ned mentioned that he wasn't able to get the plunger tube laser welded on, so I decided to install one of George Smith's bolt-on plunger tubes, in keeping with this gun's hard use theme. It took a bit of work as I had to make a fixture to hold the left grip panel while I made the inleting cuts to wrap the back of the grip over the lower part of the plunger tube, but it's done and plenty rugged!

I wasn't satisfied with the point of impact that I was getting with the Heinie front tritium sight that I had originally installed, so I cut a new one from a blank. I have one more shooting session planned for this weekend to verify the POA/POI relationship, then detail the metal prep and it's off to Tempe. I'll put up some in-the-white pics of it, before it goes West.

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

Last edited by John Harrison on Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:47 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Chomping at the bit here waiting to see what the two of you have created.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:51 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Hey, all I did was remove some metal here and there. You're the one that's putting it together and making it work!

"Slower getting finished with this gun"...... the story of all our lives, methinks. But I figured that what I did to it was gonna cost you some time 8)

I'll be interested to know what kind of groups with what kind of ammo you get!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:03 pm 

Groups? I saw the groups he was getting with the sights that he said he wasn't happy with. I would have settled for those groups, they were as good or better than the claims you read in the gun rags about XYZ guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:32 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

John,
I'm freakin a little on this one. Beautifully done. Big time props to Ned and John for going above and beyond. BTW...is this one getting blued, hc'd, I can't remember. Doesn't matter, what a freakin' kewl shooter. Can't wait to see it.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:31 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

John-- can you do me a little favor on this before you let it out? Something in the pics that I see I missed, which disappoints me a bit since it stands out so much. I shoulda tried a few other mag releases, the one on the gun sits below flush. Have you got a few around that you can try and see how they fit? I'll replace for you whatever part you use if you have it.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:43 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Son of a gun! After staring holes in this thing for quite some time, youda thought I might have spotted that! :oops: I guess it's one of those forest & trees things. I'll take care of it. Don't worry about replacing it, I've got a good many to pick through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:50 am 

I want that gun. Looking good, gentlemen!

Be well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:23 am 

Damian:
You ain't the only one that wants it ! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:27 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Gentlemen - I'm sorry to have to do this, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to invoke a little known rule here called the 'BOD Just Cause Clause'.

Please finish # 2 and send it directly to me for safe keeping. :twisted:

That is all - carry on.........

Post subject: Clause, my Butt!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:34 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Say that five times as fast as you can!

Just Cause Clause
Just Cause Clause
Just Cause Clause
Just Clause Cause
Cust Jaws Clause
Dammit! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:43 am 
Board Member
Board Member

'Just Cause' I want it!

'Just Cause' it's PURDY!

'Just Cause' I don't have one like it!

'Just Cause' nobody else has one like it!

'Just Cause' two MASTERS built it!

Umm, was that five times?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:56 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I shoulda knowed there was some kind of trick to this "Just Cause" thing.

I also shoulda knowed, since the only time I open my mouth is to change socks! :shock:

He walks away muttering to himself: "Must be some kinda motor-sykle trick thing!" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:09 am 
Board Member
Board Member

John Harrison wrote:
He walks away muttering to himself: "Must be some kinda motor-sykle trick thing!" :wink:

Damned biker trash Harley ridin' sociopaths, anyway......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:07 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

You guys sure make some sorry-looking guns.

Now, hurry up and get the raffle going! I want to get #1 and #2 here before the snow flys, so I can get some shooting in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:28 pm 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
John-- can you do me a little favor on this before you let it out? Something in the pics that I see I missed, which disappoints me a bit since it stands out so much. I shoulda tried a few other mag releases, the one on the gun sits below flush. Have you got a few around that you can try and see how they fit? I'll replace for you whatever part you use if you have it.

Thanks!

Ned you have a remarkable eye for detail and are an astute perfectionist!! Between the superlative work by both you and John Harrison, whoever wins this is going to be one lucky dog!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:19 pm 

Since the proceeds from this gun will go to a worthwhile charity, the way I see it, ya'll save yourself all the trouble of the raffle and donate the gun to me. :P I'm so poor and broke that I can't afford another custom gun. I could use this piece. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: test target
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:03 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I shot this today at an indoor range at 50 feet. It was shot with 8 rounds of W-W white box 230 ball ammo. The target was suspended from a target trolley that oscillated like a metronome. My rock-solid :roll: rest was the top of my range bag. The group size is 1 1/8" center to center. I'd guess that were it shot from a ransom rest at a target that stayed still with ammo that it prefered, the 1" group might be there even farther out than 50 feet. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:22 pm 
Members

That's a damn fine pistol! I thought the EGW plunger tube was counter-sunk into the frame - or does it just have the extra screw-holes? Do you still stake it or are the original frame holes just used for locating the tube? Ned and John, what's your impression of this part?

Post subject: EGW plunger tube
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:18 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the most kind comments. I've sure enjoyed the role that I played in building this pistol and getting to work with these other fine gentlemen (and the biker guy, too 8) ).
The EGW plunger tube is a pretty neat piece of gear, like everything that George Smith manufactures. If you want to enhance the original system without being forced to weld or braze, this is a great way to do it.
The EGW plunger tube is held in place with two 4-40 screws and has two solid pins that fit snugly in the original staking holes. All four points would get a drop of LocTite at assembly and then it's all topped off by the grip panel retaining the whole assembly. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach. Installing the tube to the frame was a piece of cake. Inletting the grip panel over it took more thought and effort. You can see the inletted panel in one of the pictures above.
I see this part as a viable way to enhance the original durability of the 1911 design for severe duty usage and it still be readily servicable (if damaged) with common tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:13 pm 

I really like this pistol. I'm especially taken by the front-strap treatment. Are those Conamyds? (absolutely no idea how to spell that!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:34 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

They are indeed Conamyds. And you spelled it right, thanks, although I sorta have spelled it wrong, but hey, it's my word :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:12 am 

I've seen the conamyds before in a magazine article. Looks like an excellent grip enhancement. I've had problems in the past with different types of checkering catching and snagging the inside of my jacket linings.

I think I smell another custom pistol wish list beginning to form... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:26 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

He-he-he
I haven't shot at an indoor range (besides the barn at our old place) in a long time. I had forgotten about the "hanger dangle". Add in the fore-and-aft swing caused by the ventilation fans sometimes, and you could have quite a dance going on!
What I'm saying is- nice shootin'. Gun and shooter both.

I like the plunger tube arrangement. I have a peeve about plunger tubes. I've never "lost" one, but had a couple loosen (Springfields for whatever reason).
I've never had any, but always liked the 'myds. Bite for your hand, but not your shirt, from the looks of them.

P.S.
I don't suppose you had the four guys who just pooled their money to buy a 50AE Desert Eagle in the next stall at the range did you? No, probably not. I think they were assigned to following me around. Like sitting on the muzzle of a cannon when it goes off next to you.