Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: THE LTW TUSSEY PROJECT
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Americans have a very enthusiastic way of coming together when catastrophic events effect our lives. In the past several years that patriotic spirit has been demonstrated over and over.

And most importantly it is not only family but friends and acquaintances that we band together in an effort to make thier lives better. This is certainly the case here. LTW a non-profit organization originally designed to build the finest custom guns possible and give the proceeds of those guns to children in need.

Well, one of the industry's own went down. Earlier this year Terry Tussey, gunsmithing pioneer, legend, and gentleman had an accident while mountain biking. His injuries were serious, and it was uncertain whether or not he would return to smithing. However, typical of Terry he is back at his bench in a limited capacity still working on some of the finest 1911's ever built.

LTW was made aware of this situation and there was only one decision to make. Which smiths build it? This task fell to the very capable hands of C.T. Brian, Stan Chen, and Don Williams. Not to mention Gary Smith at Caspian who donated the frame and slide for this project and Phil at Glenrock Bluing, who put a stunning blue finish on the completed gun. To sweeten the deal Trace Rinaldi got wind of this and had some ideas of his own. How about a matching gun and knife.

What to build? How about a tough as nails 1911 with pure carbon fiber stocks and matching knife? Sounds good to us. Trace Rinaldi fashioned the stocks, the knife and created a functional and handsome fixed blade knife. The combination is like nothing most of us have seen. This set is tough, just like the man it was built for.

The lower half was left to C.T. Brian for the finest checkering around. A beavertail fit, and some very identifiable touches specific to a C.T. Brian custom pistol, such as beveling the bottom of the slide, a match fit Bar Sto barrel, and details, details, details. Then Stan Chen one of the newest and most gifted 1911 smiths around dealt with the upper half and added the perfect and precise machine work including flattening, serrating and bordering the slide. Don Williams combined the two by fitting the frame and slide, fitting the trigger, and adding ball cuts on the front front of the slide. This was a wonderful set of smiths to put together. The combined efforts provide for industrial elegance, and absolutely accurate and reliable.

A holster? "Uncle" Lou Alessi was called in and immediately insisted on sending not one but two holsters for this along with a matching mag pouch. Lou's perfectly executed PCH, and his most popular holster the CQC-S was built specifically for this project. All three pieces are done in a beautiful brown leather with sharkskin trim.

It seems strange but appropriate that men who share the same gifts and passion for what they do also share the same caring attitude willingness to help one another when one of them goes down.........temporarily. Godspeed Terry.

How about some snaps.

More to come...

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Steve Bailey on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:33 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Good God, what to say.

Marvelous? Yes, but...

Stupendous? Also true, and yet....

Impressive, awesome, beyond description? I guess beyond description comes closest, because I seem to be nearly at a loss for words. Not just talking about the package in the picture either, but the whole thing. The only complaint I have is that I didn't get a chance to stir in a little mischief of my own :twisted: .

But-- when I heard of the accident, I recalled how I had really come to hold Terry in high regard, at and after the 05 SHOT Show. The Kahr booth had a concept pistol, a hyper-mini 1911 in .45 GAP. This little devil was smaller than the Springfield Defender in .45 GAP, which itself is extremely compact (whole different frame, smaller front to back). I looked it over and walked away, considering what I had just seen. Before I knew it I was back, again turning it over in my hands. Got my fill of wonder and put it down.... and picked it up again. It was fascinating! Finally Justin Moon walked over and said he had noticed my interest and quizzed me a bit as to what I thought of it, and told me is was a concept pistol. I told him I was impressed by the "concept" of a concept pistol, and likewise impressed that they had invested the time into it. He advised me that they had contracted the making of it, and handed me the maker's card..... Terry Tussey.

I'd seen a couple of articles about the guy and his work. Obviously, you can't know much about how a person really is by reading an article, and yet, you can't help but get an impression. Mine was that he was a guy so on top of the heap that he might find me beneath notice. It's easy sometimes to compliment somebody who is somehow in a position below you. When that person is in a position above you, you feel that to compliment them may be to imply that you think you are in a position to grade their work. But you know, I can't stand to not give credit where credit is due so I took a chance and Emailed Terry, and told him how much I admired his work on that little devil. His response was so unassuming and gentleman-like that I was a little ashamed to have worried. Told myself, I gotta find Terry next SHOT Show and meet him.

So, long story short, I'm real proud of my LTW brethern for what they've done here and it's great to see that special serial number on such a fine piece o' work.

Terry, stand by for a megadose of best wishes and high regard from Michigan.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:11 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

The magnitude of the works of art created by the finest here are eclipsed only by what LTW stands for and those that carry out the ideals!

Well done gentlemen.

Mr Tussey, may I offer my prayers and wishes for a swift recovery. I have admired your work from afar for years.

God bless and Happy holidays!
Al Shear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:58 am 

Al Shear wrote:
The magnitude of the works of art created by the finest here are eclipsed only by what LTW stands for and those that carry out the ideals!

Well done gentlemen.

Mr Tussey, may I offer my prayers and wishes for a swift recovery. I have admired your work from afar for years.

God bless and Happy holidays!
Al Shear

Well said, my friend, well said.

In every respect, you guys are very, very special!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:25 am 
Members

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:49 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Wow, you guys just keep out-doing yourselves.

I find myself at a loss for words. But that's par for the course when I come here anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:36 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Let's not forget a special thanks to Steve Bailey. Without him, this project wouldn't have gotten the wings it so desperately needed to take flight.

People often don't realize how much 'behind the scenes' work is needed to make a project of this magnitude turn into a reality. Steve has put many an hour into this one, and I for one sure do appreciate it.

Another thanks to Roy Huntington at American Handgunner magazine. You rock, man!

On a personal note, Terry & I have never met. I'm ashamed to say that we've never even talked! Somehow though, through all of this, I feel as if I've come to know him in some small way. Having always enjoyed and admired his work, I wish him Godspeed in his recovery. Our world will be much better when he's back at his bench.

Stan, Don & Trace, what can I say. A pleasure working with you guys on this one. A lot of consensual debauchery was enjoyed between us! Luigi - the things you do with animal hide just leave me speechless with admiration.

Last edited by CT Brian on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:46 am 
Members

The degree and caliber of both the men here and their work never sease to amaze me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:20 pm 
Members

+1

Speechless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:06 pm 

Beautifully done, guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:47 pm 

Once again a masterpiece that I believe anyone would want to own. Great job and once again a great cause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:05 pm 

I am awestruck! What a beautiful display of craftsmanship and "brotherly love". Excellent.

DW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:03 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

It was an honor for me to help with this project.. Working with Tim Brian was awesome, and no matter how bad things looked for the hard deadline, he always had something funny to say, and made me feel at ease while I was freaking out. The finish on the knife still looks like a box of smashed a$$holes to me, but that will be fixed before SHOT thanks to Phil at Glenrock.

I had a suspicion that blueing a RC 60 A2 tool steel blade, compared to a much less hard frame and slide might be a problem, and it was.
But I think Phil can take care of it with a rust blue finish we just didnt have time for. Phil is a guy who stands behind his work no questions!

And YES thanks to Steve Baily!, he was hard at it taking pics last night, he got a reprieve from Roy that bought us a bit of time, and it looks like it all worked out. Steve your thee MAN!

I hope to meet Mr. Tussey someday, and have admired his work for quite some time. I hope this helps in a small way.

AND DAYUM does that Pistole' look FANTASTIC!!!! WOW! You guys just ROCK! 8) 8) :shock: :D

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi
http://www.THRblades.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:53 am 

Trace,

That knife is based in the LEO, is it not? I like it a lot. I will speak to you soon regarding making on or more for me. Very nice.

DW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:33 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Hi Damian.. That actually is an LEO, it just may look a bit different with the finish.. No problem, maybe we could talk at SHOT or let me know when your ready for something. Glad you like the knife.

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi
http://www.THRblades.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:29 pm 

SHOT it is. :wink:

DW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:29 pm 

This is a great thing to do!! If I can ever help you gun guys out on a project like this please feel free to ask me!! I would be more than happy to do what I can!

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:25 am 

Wish I could afford the gun but where can I get grips like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Those stocks in limited numbers right now are available from the YoBo shop.

I wish I could afford a gun like that. :P

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:48 pm 

Absolutely Elegant!