Visit us on facebook

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well it appears to be that time of year again. Aside from turning out guns for our customers we have also been working on the LTW/American Snipers charity campaign. As in years past it has been a completely enjoyable process because we know the proceeds are going to make a difference for those men and women in the armed forces that spend a great deal of their time looking through some glass at their adversary. Last year we were very successful with http://www.AmericanSnipers.org and had a great time visiting with those folks at the Shot Show.

As in every year the Board of Directors for LTW sit down and make a decision on who will work on each charity gun. This year it was Chuck Rogers, John Harrison, and Ted Yost. With a lot of help from our industry partners we have made quite a package possible for the lucky winner who was willing to donate his or her hard earned money to a charity. After agreeing that American Snipers was the organization we were going with we set out to find some friends in the business who were interested in helping.

Our first stop was Wilson Combat who has been making some of the finest pistols, frames, slides, and small parts for the 1911 since most of us remember. We were warmly greeted and asked what they could do for LTW. Wilson Combat graciously provided a frame and slide; small parts are five Tactical Elite magazines for this year's effort. However, we were not done. After a stop at Black Hill Ammunition we were 1000 rounds better for this package. Additionally Surefire, Al Mar knives, and Steiner. And I haven't even described the gun yet.

The gun started out at Rogers Precision where the following was done:

Fit slide to frame.
Install Wilson barrel.
Install bushing.
Flush cut and match crown barrel.
Remachine feed ramp. Ream and throat barrel.
Silver solder ‘dutchman’ into original front sight dovetail.
Flatten and serrate top of slide. Arrowhead pattern.
Install front sight.
Fabricate and install ‘Tier One’ rear sight.
Draw file radii on top of slide to remove 3D machining artifacts.

After the spa treatment at Rogers the gun was off to John Harrison for the following exceptional mods:

Ball Cuts
Bottom Bevel on slide
French Borders
Countersink slide stop
Carry Bevel
Legacy Custom MSH & mag well bevel

We were almost done at this point until it arrived at Heirloom Precision for:

Checkering of MSH
Install Dawson rail
Install grip safety
Install thumb safety
Final detailing and finish work.

We are going to add some additional photos in an upcoming addition of American Handgunner and provide further details as we go on in this thread. The gun is unbelievable, it is hilariously accurate, reliable, and an absolute pleasure to look at. The Surefire light set up along with the Steiner binoculars really sets this year’s endeavor off. And what package would not be complete with out a knife. In this case two knives from Al Mar, A Sere (pictured above) and an Eagle Talon with black micarta scales.

As in every charity project there is a holster maker who is tasked with providing the leather. This year it was John Ralston of 5 Shot leather whose work has put himself in some very fine company. John created one of his SAP holsters in beautiful brown leather with black elephant skin trim with a matching magazine holder. The pictures just don't do this leather work justice.

As hard as we all work on each gun at LTW it is you folks, and we mean every one of you that reads these threads that makes it worth all the effort to create these guns to ultimately benefit a child or a soldier who as we speak is belly crawling across the desert an inch at a time or sitting in a building by himself wondering if anybody actually cares what he is doing for a living. Well, we at LTW including the smiths and the membership do care and appreciate these men and women and especially those members who have served at any time for our country.

I often say the best part of the year is the Shot Show when all of this comes to a crescendo and we all get reacquainted or meet one another for the first time. Again thanks for the support and on behalf of those who will benefit from this year's charity thanks again. We are very lucky to be in this business because of the people.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:07 pm 
Members

I've been checking daily for signs of the next project and you guys certainly didn't let us down. Exceptional work and the generosity of the gear community makes it all the more impressive. I see several ticket purchases in my near future. Great work fellas. I'm no sniper, but from a guy running and gunning in Baghdad, I think I can safely speak for my long-range brothers in the field when I say your efforts are truly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:21 pm 
Members

Nice, clean and all business. You guys really never cease to amaze.

Well done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:32 pm 
Members

Fantastic as always... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:42 pm 

WOW...great work from the usual suspects. Looks like another great gun to a great charity group...oh yeah and to a lucky winner.

Job well done

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:31 pm 
Members

This package is impressive.

Greyson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:37 am 
Members

Can one of you 1911 afficionados explain ball cuts to me? What are they, what purpose do they serve (cosmetic and functional or purely cosmetic) and what do they look like. I shoot 'em, but don't know much about that sort of thing.

Also throwing down the gauntlet from my post out here in the box. Not sure when the drawing is set to begin, but while I'm still breathing I'm thinking 5-10 tickets a month from me until the drawing takes place. May up that a bit as I know some of you big ballers out there will easily surpass that amount, whatever it turns out to be. Love the cause, love the work. and I figure $1k in tickets should give me a fighting chance to walk home with this beauty. I'm sure someone out there can at least match that if not demolish it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 am 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

groundbranch wrote:
Can one of you 1911 afficionados explain ball cuts to me? What are they, what purpose do they serve (cosmetic and functional or purely cosmetic) and what do they look like. I shoot 'em, but don't know much about that sort of thing.

Also throwing down the gauntlet from my post out here in the box. Not sure when the drawing is set to begin, but while I'm still breathing I'm thinking 5-10 tickets a month from me until the drawing takes place. May up that a bit as I know some of you big ballers out there will easily surpass that amount, whatever it turns out to be. Love the cause, love the work. and I figure $1k in tickets should give me a fighting chance to walk home with this beauty. I'm sure someone out there can at least match that if not demolish it!

The ball cuts are on the end of the slide, right at the end of the dust cover on the frame. Normally there is a long sweeping arc for the relief on the slide, but the master machinist has gone in there with a ball end mill and created the tight radius that is there now. Quite the feet - if you aren't spot on it would look like hell. If you examine this slide and compare it to a standard you will see it plain as day.

That being said - they are purely cosmetic.

John

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:44 pm 

Great job by all involved. It is nice to see a group of individuals giving back to a great cause. That pistol will be the prize of one lucky persons collection.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:59 pm 

Very nice guys! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:04 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Like I said in the original post, thanks to all of you for supporting our website, our cause, and our work. As I type additional things are happening with this package that will only make it better for the winner as well as the charity which is what really counts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:52 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Great weapon, great work, great great package. My hats off to all who participated and gave.
Truly America's finest at work.
Congrat's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:13 am 

Great looking gun and package. Where does one go to purchase raffle tickets?

Also, What finish is applied to the gun?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 am 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

There's a link at the end of the first paragraph in Steve's initial post.

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:13 am 

The link takes you right where you need to be but the tickets must not be available yet. I went through all sections and can't find the raffle info.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Give us a few weeks the raffle site is just a little under construction. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:06 pm 

holy cow! that is absolutely beautiful.

can someone send me info on how to buy tickets for this raffle.

although i don't have a ton of money, i would gladly donate as much as i can afford to the charity in a heart beat. but to have a chance at this beautiful peice of art, would be a small bonus.

congrats on the great work guys!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:04 am 
Members

Any updates fellas? How's the website going? I'm ready to start buying tickets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:33 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I haven't been here much lately, and just came on to find I had been missing out as usual, and another beautiful gun was coming.
I'm not sure what I can say that hasn't been said...so I won't even try. Congratulations again on another job very, very, well done.
I'll be buying tickets when the time comes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 am 

When do the raffle tickets go on sale and where? I what this beautiful piece of work!
Need info!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:38 pm 

I would like to donate/buy raffle tickets. Where do I go to get into this wonderful project?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

http://louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7121&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:58 pm 

I can't wait to win!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:58 am 

I am (obviously) new around here, but... when is the raffle drawing being held?

EDIT: nevermind ... I see it is now mentioned in the main post...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:21 am 
Members

Was an E-Commerce option for purchase ever created....as much as I've looked through the thread and americansnipers.org I have not found one and I'd imagine it's too late to mail in?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:37 am 
the eCommerce site is going to happen. The drawing will not occur until the NRA show in May.

You can still mail in your entry in the mean time.

--Mark

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7121

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:45 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Yes, the eCommerce function is in the works.

American Snipers has entered into a relationship with a new bank, which will allow them to do so. I'm told they are about half way there, with a point of sale credit card facility set up. Now, just the online portion needs to be done. Last year, Paypal was used, but the plug was pulled due to their anti-gun policies.

For now, though it is a bit more work, American Snipers is accepting check payments. I got to see and handle the pistol and package elements at SHOT, and believe me, the winner will be one extremely happy camper.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:54 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

How are sales on this package going? They have no indication at the Sniper site. Is the E-commerce opportunity working yet?

Jeffvn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:37 pm 

I am happy to report that the new online payment system for the LTW raffle is up and running on the home page. It is our hope to have the rest of the site updated in the very near future. http://www.americansnipers.org/

1st: I apologize for LTW not being on the supporter page; that was an oversight, and I've emailed the web guru to fix it.

2nd: Since the rest of the AS.org schwag is not GUN related, we can sell it via Paypal (for now). Anything gun related got shut down.

3rd: If we have in some way dissed LTW, I'd like to hear about it. What I do know is that the LTW crew is more concerned about supporting our troops in combat than getting a pat on the back. True patriots, every one of them.

Sincerely,

Vaughn Johnson
AmericanSnipers.org

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:38 am 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Thanks Vaughn, for letting us know, and for clarifying things.

From my position...Yes, we've felt the frustration of things not happening as easily or as quickly as we maybe thought they should. I'm impatient sometimes (all the time, if you listen to Burton :roll: ), but as Vaughn says not on my behalf or LTW's. The goal for us is the same as it always was. We want to see the largest amount possible raised for the charity. When something causes that to not happen, it's a problem and it must be solved.

That said, my eyes were opened a bit by talking to Dave Jossart. Just because you're not getting results doesn't necessarily mean no one's trying. They've worked hard, so we need to acknowledge that. They care a lot, or they would do something else. There have been substantial obstacles to securing e-commerce sales for tickets. Several financial institutions have been engaged, only to drop out or decline to help altogether. We're thrilled to finally have that system in place. Thank you, AS guys!

Now, and this is the important part.....

The gun and it's accessories are ready to go! The DLC finish is on, and this package just ROCKS!

There's been a lot of stress and grief over a lack of convenience, but that's all over now. We have about two months to get busy and make this effort pay off for our guys in harm's way. If you've been waiting for the e-commerce, your wait's over - buy some tickets! Let your friends know - put up notices in those places on the net you frequent - and then, buy some more tickets!

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR