Visit us on facebook

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tomorrow, 28 October, would have been Lou’s 67th birthday and in an effort to continue to celebrate our friend we at LTW are proud to showcase the Lou Alessi tribute gun.

This gun has been a long time in the works and it now stands as LTW‘s way of honoring our friend. Shortly after Lou’s death the LTW BOD began to plan this tribute and it was easily decided that a pistol, moreover a Colt pistol, would be built in Lou’s honor. This particular project was to be a bit different than past LTW efforts, instead of only two or three LTW ’smiths working on the gun, for this gun it seemed fitting that each LTW ’smith have the opportunity to help craft this special piece. We all agreed that a true group effort such as this was something reserved for only the most special instances... and it’s easy to see how this project applies.

Details...
We started with a new Colt Series 70 Government Model and a parts compliment that was graciously donated by the folks at Brownells. The gun made its way from shop to shop getting the attention it deserved at every stop. The project began at the Heirloom Precision shop with Ted Yost fitting the frame and slide. From there it went to Stan Chen who flattened and serrated the slide top and installed the custom made front sight. Next up was CT Brian who installed the ignition components, performed the trigger job, and fit a Wilson Combat beavertail. The gun then made its way to Chuck Rogers who fit the barrel, bushing, and installed one of his Tier One rear sights. Once Chuck was done the gun headed to Don Williams who installed the extractor, ejector, firing pin stop, and did the basic reliability mods. Next up was John Harrison who checkered the front strap and main spring housing. After John was finished Ned Christiansen performed his FLH mag-well treatment and installed the slide stop, extended thumb safety, and one of his extra-stout plunger tubes. Once Ned was finished up the gun came back to the Heirloom shop where I lowered and flared the ejection port, straightened the frame lines, and installed the extended mag-catch. The final beveling, detailing, polishing and finish work were then done by Steve Bailey. With all that done (and probably some that I forgot) the gun was blued and fit with a set of layered carbon fiber and G10 stocks made by John VanZyck at VZ grips... the stocks of course are also special and feature the signature of our friend Lou Alessi.

Holsters...
It wouldn’t be right not have this gun accompanied by something to tote it in and for that task John Ralston and Josh Bulman each made their own rendition of a Lou Alessi design. John reproduced the Alessi DOJ-S along with a single mag-carrier. The DOJ-S is the holster on which John draws inspiration for his own LFA-1, a rig that is John’s personal tribute to Lou.

For Josh Bulman’s contribution he built his excellent QRH rig and a matching magazine carrier. The Bulman QRH is Josh’s version of the Alessi CQC-S, which is likely the design Lou was best known for.

It’s hard to believe that this coming February will mark three years since Lou’s passing. Lou can easily be described as an icon of the industry and for all of us at LTW it was our distinct pleasure not only to know Lou but to be able to help craft this one-of-a-kind pistol. But what’s even better is that the LTW membership can help too...

A chance to own this gun...
Starting at noon on Friday 04 November 2011 we will hold a “silent” auction for this complete package with 100% of the funds raised going to the Alessi family. The auction will take place over the weekend and end on Sunday 06 November 2011 with the package going to the highest bidder. Bids will be accepted by me via PM through the LTW forums. Needless to say, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I’ll have more information on the silent auction as we get closer... for now enjoy the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:59 am 

WOW! What a wonderful thing to do and a fitting tribute. The LTW crew is the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:00 am 
Members

Beautiful piece and a great tribute!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:36 am 

A beautiful and heart-felt idea - You guys are the best!

John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 am 
Members

Absolutely stunning. Well done, gents. Well done!

-Matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:18 pm 

What a beauty and an awesome gesture from the LTW crew.... God bless the Alessi family....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:22 am 

Wow, is all I can say....A pistol worthy of the Leather Master....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:55 am 

So many things are just right about this whole package, truly a memorial to a person I will always consider a friend.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:57 am 
Members

That'll work :!:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:15 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

As always, a classic firearm gun and excellent tribute to a classic craftsman

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 am 

Lets get the auction started :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Lou was a real beacon o' wisdom for LTW, with his years in the business, his experiences and stories, his acquaintances and connections. He is truly missed.

The attendance at his send-off showed that he was loved and respected by plenty of people who had nothing to do with firearms and holsters and such..... Lou's charm worked on everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:22 pm 

Only had the honor of meeting Lou on 1 occasion, and talked to him on the phone less than a dozen times but he immediately made me feel like we had been friends for years. Truely a wonderful person. I think he would be very impressed with the gun, the thought, and the care shown his family by the team at LTW...nice work on all accounts to all involved.

Beauty of a gun!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:03 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The auction has started... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:06 pm 

who did the treatment on the underside of the slide stop and thumb safety?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:32 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Kyle Bieber wrote:

Ned Christiansen...

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:15 am 

John Ralston wrote:
Kyle Bieber wrote:

Ned Christiansen...

I really like that, just something about it looks great, a nice added touch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:16 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Thanks Kyle, glad you like it. It's one of the few pattern-type things I do by hand (plenty of handwork in a build overall). As such, I don't go to extremes to try and make it not look hand-done..... not that I could..... but I kinda like that it looks that way. It is pretty "grabby" too, and I find it truly useful in using the controls. And I pretty much always wrap the top safety serration around the back like that, I think it adds some style and again, it serves a purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:36 pm 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
Thanks Kyle, glad you like it. It's one of the few pattern-type things I do by hand (plenty of handwork in a build overall). As such, I don't go to extremes to try and make it not look hand-done..... not that I could..... but I kinda like that it looks that way. It is pretty "grabby" too, and I find it truly useful in using the controls. And I pretty much always wrap the top safety serration around the back like that, I think it adds some style and again, it serves a purpose.

I'd like to get something similar done to a Les Baer I plan on getting(haven't even ordered it) but looking at your site your a busy guy, maybe I'll be lucky enough that by the time I have the gun in hand you'll have some time. Also like Chuck Rogers sights, hopefully I can have some work done by both of you and I'll have pretty much a perfect gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:14 pm 

Stunning tribute! Too many details to appreciate in a single viewing...