Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:26 am 
Board Member
Board Member

The Springfield donated by Mssr. DelPinto will be on its way to John today or tomorrow to see if he can save it. Here's a possibly-something-left-out list of the travesties I have wrought upon it:
--Conamyds and hi-grip on the frontstrap.
--Conamyds and reduction on the MSH.
--FLH magwell, basically a piece silver-brazed to the magwell, so the rear wall of the mag chute can be shortened at the bottom by .300 or so, and the MSH now stops off on that surface. Lets me wow it out a lot toward the rear, going deeper into the mag chute, without creating a knife edge.
--Black G-10 grips from Duty Rated Products. You guys should check these out, they're very well made. http://www.dutyrated.com I think. I have thinned them out .050 on the back and recounterbored the holes. Thin grip bushings are called for, but I have used the regular screws, shortened .050. I have also applied a sort of checkerboard pattern to the grips which are otherwise smooth, with a non-standard profile which is not a fill large radius, but more like radius, flat, radius. Forget just now what DR calls it but it ain't half bad. These grips also "help out" as part of the magwell.
--Black anodized short trigger, further lightened by me in the shoe and bow, OT screw is set and blind pinned, the pin is staked, and the hex is drilled out of the trigger so nobody can try to adjust it and muck things up. John, this trigger is fitted just a tad looser than we might usually do on certain kinds of gun-- let me know if you think it needs replacing. Trigger is set to about 4.5 (we don't know who's getting this one for one thing).
--STI sear
--CMC hammer, an older EDM one, not MIM.
--BCP hammer strut
--Colt sear spring (broke the SA spring trying to get the bend sothat it wold not lift off the sear; just as well).
--Ed Brown MSH replaces the SA part with the funky lock.
--Wilson grip safety, modified for easy installation with MSH in
place.
--Wanted to laser weld the plunger tube in place but did not have a batch going.
--Edges "tastefully and precisely" knocked off, those that did not
get it automatically with some other operation.
--I used the factory thumb safety and slide stop, dolled them up a
bit. John, the safety detents are set pretty stiff.
--The frame cutouts under the grips, I heavily chamfered the bottoms of the cuts on the inside. This is something I have just started doing in the last 6 months on certain, most, guns. Whoever can guess why gets a $500 shopping spree at Yost-Bonitz.

John, I didn't do things like match the slide rear to the frame or clear out the frame where the barrel foot strikes, since that'll be part of your end. I didn't even test fire it as it's really only half or so done. I'm trying to scan my checklist and "line setting ticket" showing the parts I've used to forward to you but the scanner's acting up. Also, grip bushings are loose, ejector pin is out, etc. Let's see, this took me what, six weeks? You have until Friday to get your part done!

Last edited by Ned Christiansen on Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:59 am 
WHERE's the photos?

Com-on guys :) You gotta take photos of this stuff :lol:

--Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:50 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Sounds good Ned. I'll have it done on a Friday! 8)

I'm lookin' forward to it!

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:15 am 

Gosh darn it Ned!!!! :?
Got me wondering about that bevel.
I sure hope you're not pullin' our legs. :twisted:
I thought I knew a fair amount of 1911 esoterica, but this one
has me bewildered.
Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:43 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Nothing special about the bevel, Chuck. Unless you count the three different kinds of welding rod I used to get it right.....

Yeah, I shoulda done some pics but I'm always hesitant on pics of work in progress. After John gets it fixed it should be camera-ready :lol:

Post subject: watch out for Ned
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:02 pm 
Members

He Guys,

Watch out for Ned he can get a bit wild. You should see his layout 3 rooms first rooms has a wet bar all drinks are on the house. Then you walk into his gentlemen's club with topless dancers and of course more free drinks. Then if you survive that you go into his shop with built in pool and tanning rooms(lives in Michigan) and around the room he has several lathes and mills and a pair of one armed machinist running each set up. Ned sits right in the middle of the room with his whip and Martini and barks out the orders until the pistols are done to his liking.

I went over there once to have him sand out an idiot scratch on a stainless Springfield and it took me 4 days to get out of there. I just couldn't get out of room two no matter how hard I tried.

Ned will try to deny it but, I have 27 8 X10 colored glossy pictures with circles and arrows on the back of each one. Don't believe me ask Alice down at the restaurant .

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:51 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Dang it Morris! Now I have pack up the shop and the dancers and start again in another town under a different name! Soon as I finish this martini :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The anticipation of the first two pistolas is absolutely killing me. Ned, it sounds like you put the traditional 110% into the project. Speaking for everyone, Thanks.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:23 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Ned Christiansen wrote:
Dang it Morris! Now I have pack up the shop and the dancers and start again in another town

Think Grand Junction, Colorado, Ned!

I realize you probably have better things to do than hang around, so you can just drop off the strippers and leave.......... 8)

Cheers, Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:26 am 

Ned,
You are a cruel, cruel man.......
What is the purpose of that internal bevel?
I'm obsessing here.... :roll:
Remove me from the contest and e-mail me the answer, please!
Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:40 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Tim, who said anything about strippers? These are dancers, man!

Chuck, I'm gonna tell ya here. Here's something that has happened to me once and I've seen it happen another time or two. You're maybe in a prone position or otherwise reloading the gun with it in a not-completely-vertical position. Maybe you're reloading and maybe you're clearing a minor jam, or maybe it's a gun with low extractor tension and there you are locked back with an empty on top of the mag. At any rate, you eject the mag and there's an empty or loaded round on top of it. The mag comes out, but the cartridge comes to a stop on the bottom of the lightening cut, like the rim hits it and the top end tips over and leans on the other side of the chute. Now you insert a fresh mag and if the hung round doesn't prevent you getting it in, it gets carried up to get in the way of things when you drop the slide. The chamfer is to give the cartridge less to catch on, that's all. Honest Injun, I've seen it happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:04 pm 

Cruel Ned,
Well darn it all to heck!
That was one of the first things I thought of, but then
almost slapped myself as I remembered this was a Nedster
built gat, and they NEVER malf. :oops:
I really could have had fun with a $500 shopping spree at
Uncle Ted's. :wink:
Chuck

Post subject: Salvage, my butt!
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:42 am 
Board Member
Board Member

:? This is more likely going to be a feat of "what do I do and how do I do it, all in a manner that looks like it belongs on the same gun as one from Ned Christiansen." :shock:

Wow. That Christiansen guy does some cool stuff! :D

The only thing that I did think of at this point was patting myself on the back for being smart enough to con Ned into doing the bottom end first, so I could see it! :wink:

By now, I guess you've figured out that I've received the Springfield that John Del Pinto was kind enough to donate (Thanks, John!) and that Ned has worked his magic on.

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can, before I hack into it! :shock:

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

Post subject: Re: Salvage, my butt!
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:06 am 
Board Member
Board Member

John Harrison wrote:
I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can

Don't forget to post a few pics of the strippers, er, I mean choir girls. :shock: :mrgreen: :shock:

Seriously John, between you and Ned I figure we're going to see a mighty fine piece!

Good luck on the build.

Cheers, Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:40 am 

I don't think Mr. H. has been in an adult entertainment facility lately. But i'll be glad to supply the pics of the dancers. It's tougher now since they banned cellphone with camera. :(