Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:26 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Made this for a customer of Heirloom Precision to go with a matching LFA-1 I made previously. Turned out pretty good for the first one out the door.

Designed for a 7 point star, and secured by three chicago screws at the top.

It is a clam shell design, which gives access to the chicago screws for securing the badge and also lets you use a chain if desired.

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:23 am 

Looks good John, when my belt order comes up I might talk to you about one.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:50 am 

Beautifully done John! Badge carriers (done right) always seem to require more time and effort than most people expect to pay for one.

I don't like to use clip-on carriers though. If they come off, the wearer doesn't usually realize it until much later. Badges are pricey to replace! :D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:48 am 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Matt Del Fatti wrote:
Beautifully done John! Badge carriers (done right) always seem to require more time and effort than most people expect to pay for one.

I don't like to use clip-on carriers though. If they come off, the wearer doesn't usually realize it until much later. Badges are pricey to replace! :D.

You are right about the time - it is surprising how long it takes for something that looks so simple.

As for the clip, that was by request, and I think it is only the second clip I have used in the last 5 years (for anything).

John Ralston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:45 am 

Hey John:
Just to clarify my post, I wasn't being critical of your design. I assumed your customer wanted it that way. It seems of lot of LEO's do because that what they've been exposed to. When I asked why, I was usually told "so I can take it off fast". "Do you wear you handgun without your badge?" "Well, no." "So when your taking off your gun, can't the badge be slide off the belt too?" (Dept's weren't issuing snap-on/off OWBs) "Yeah, I guess so."

I know in some areas, LEO's take it off their belt to "project their identity" at eye level but many departments use other ID for that purpose.

Anyhow, I see you could easily build your design with a belt loop instead of the clip for those who wanted that option.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:43 am 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

I didn't think you were being critical...I always appreciate your feedback. And you are correct, that could be done with a loop or snap loop very easily.

John Ralston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:46 pm 

I would be willing to be a test bed for a snap looped one. I've used Lou's badge holders for a long time and Matt and I exchanged emails awhile back and he mentioned that he preferred the fixed loop. I pretty much discounted it but on a daily basis I have to slide my badge back onto my belt or risk it falling to the ground. I was fortunate to get on Matt's list back in October but was told he no longer offers badge carriers. Lou's style of Badge holder works real well with my Badge, I have a spare that I can send as a template if needed.

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:49 am 

Depmur wrote:
I would be willing to be a test bed for a snap looped one. I've used Lou's badge holders for a long time and Matt and I exchanged emails awhile back and he mentioned that he preferred the fixed loop. I pretty much discounted it but on a daily basis I have to slide my badge back onto my belt or risk it falling to the ground. I was fortunate to get on Matt's list back in October but was told he no longer offers badge carriers. Lou's style of Badge holder works real well with my Badge, I have a spare that I can send as a template if needed.

Eric

Hey Eric:
I stopped making badge carriers for LEO not able to part with their badge for a few days. The reason is that the pin pivot and lock are "sorta" placed in the same locations on the rear. the way I build mine, that placement can make a big difference. Anyhow, I'm not trying to get in the middle of any deal you can hornswoggle outta John :D but if you wanted me to build you one around the badge you carrier, give me a holler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:23 pm 

Matt Del Fatti wrote:
Depmur wrote:

Eric

Hey Eric:
I stopped making badge carriers for LEO not able to part with their badge for a few days. The reason is that the pin pivot and lock are "sorta" placed in the same locations on the rear. the way I build mine, that placement can make a big difference. Anyhow, I'm not trying to get in the middle of any deal you can hornswoggle outta John :D but if you wanted me to build you one around the badge you carrier, give me a holler.

Matt,

When my number from October finally comes up and Gina calls I will speak with her about it. I have no problem sending a Badge, I have spares if that is needed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:23 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I never wear my badge on my belt. Always in a badge wallet with ID. Now maybe an elephant wallet?