Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: "How - to" Posts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:51 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Please do not post questions on how modifications are done, or the best way to..., or "help me with my home project" .

There are forums all over the net where there are willing hobbyists eager to walk you through any type of modification you can dream up. Rest assured your questions will not go unanswered. Someone's definitely got all the angles figured out, and will share this information with you free of charge. You've probably heard of these experts - they use internet aliases, do not run professional gunsmithing businesses, have little or no training, and are unencumbered by business licenses and insurance. Their advice is generally worth every penny you pay for it.

That type of post will not be allowed here. We won't encourage that type of disinformation and the potential for great harm that accompanies it. This forum is run by professional gunsmiths, whose experience is hard - earned, and whose reputations are the best in the business.

That said,

The smiths of LTW are keenly interested in furthering the trade, and developing the next generation of custom smiths. If you have a question, ask someone offline. I think you'll find everyone helpful.

A few points to remember....

1) We do this for a living. It's not to feed our egos, it's to feed our families. Keep your correspondence concise - no one's got the time to read and respond to a four page inquiry on your project. Don't expect a response on customizing a junk gun, or advice on whether or not to use a specific part or do a specific modification. Time is money, and we all have customers willing to pay for our time. It's an easy decision whose project takes precedent.

2) Be patient ! I can't speak for the other shops, but we get a ton of emails. Recognize that reading and responding to emails sometimes takes a back seat to finishing and shipping guns. Nothing is so aggravating as getting pulled away from work to answer a phone call from someone saying "Hey - I emailed you over an hour ago! Did you get it?"

3) Most here are glad to teach a little, but there are limits to distance learning, and to be frank, we don't have any idea what your skill and comprehension level is. There are some things no one is going to try and teach you - please respect that for the common sense involved.

4) Don't go to the well too often. Remember that education is expensive. A free education is expensive to the teacher, and there's only so much time anyone can give away.