Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:23 pm 

Anyone have an opinion on which is better for a Randall knife - stainless or tool steel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:34 am 

If you are to be using the knife in a way that dulls it the tool steel resharpens easier. Yes i do use my randalls! THe tool steel is more prone to rusting. For my use of the occasional skinning and camp chores I prefer the stainless steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:51 pm 
Members

We all know about opinions, but... much of your decision will depend upon how you forsee using the knife and whether or not "hard use", read "abuse" might enter into the equation. Properly forged tool steel can be repeatedly flexed 90 degrees in a vice without breaking, and in fact, journeymen knifemakers must pass this test with one of their knives before they can be considered for a Master Smith rating. I believe this to be all but impossible with stainless steels and therein lies the appeal of forged tool steel for really tough work. Keep in mind that men have been going down to the sea with edged weapons for a thousand years, and as long as those blades are given a modicum of care, rust is not a problem. Differential heat treating of tool steel allows for a "springy" spine and a molecularly packed edge that is flat-out tough and able to withstand stressing in a variety of ways. Stainless will rust, but far less quickly than tool steel and most modern steels are not selectively heat treated. Again, there may be an exception or two out there, but I am not aware of them. Military and "survival" modes notwithstanding, most use a knife to cut and a small ax or saw to supplement with the tough stuff. I have both types of steel, use both, and like them both. Both can be sharpened with the proper medium. In the final analysis, remember that Randall made their reputation on the backs of their tool steel blades. I carried one in the jungles of s.e. Asia for over a year and never had any rust that wasn't quickly and easily removed as soon as I had the chance. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:50 pm 

I have had a model 15 for 6 years, tool steel. I have abused it, by prying and digging. Also spent a few weeks on a boat, nevre had any major rusting problem. I may abuse it, but I also take care of it.
John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:26 pm 
Members

Redd wrote:
Anyone have an opinion on which is better for a Randall knife - stainless or tool steel?

If you are not going to use the knife go with stainless. If you intend to really use it the carbon steel blades sharpen a little easier, and cut a little better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 am 
Members

I prefer stainless for my keepers. I use my Randalls almost daily, they h stay sharp and I don't have to worry as much about them staining.
Rob