Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chris Reeves Knives
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:22 pm 

I have been looking at buying a fixed blade knife. Does anybody know anything about Chris Reeves Knives. He makes his knives out of A2 Tool Steel and CPM S30 V Stainless Steel. Does anybody know the difference in these steels?
Any advice or your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:43 pm 
Members

Mike,

Chris Reeve knives are highly respected among the hard-use crowd. It is my understanding that he primarily uses A2 for his one-piece-machining knives (i.e., integral handle). I believe he uses S30V for his Bill-Harsey-designed knives with the micarta scales. S30V is a premium blade steel used by Strider and others.

Here is a link to a thread on Lightfighter regarding blade steels.
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5226026964/m/4071088572

Different makers have their preferences, but I have much respect for Bill Harsey's opinion on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:23 am 
Members

Mike,
I recently purchased one of his folders a Sabrina, with a S30V blade. This knife blew a Benchmade I have so far away that I can't even find it. The blade is still extremely sharp even after some pretty hard use in the field, cutting things that I shouldn't be cutting, like small branch's off trees. The framelock is second to none, talk about a solid blade lock that is simplicity in action, this is it. Here's the one I could hardly believe, he suggests that you take the knife apart for cleaning ect...I've never heard of any other maker telling his customers to do that without voiding warranties.

I will have to treat myself to one of his fixed blades here in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:40 am 
Members

I just bought a Small Website Sebenza as a gift for a friend. That was a bad mistake cuz now I need to get one for myself. Very cool knives....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:44 am 
Members

I have had several of his knives, a large and a small Green Beret knife. Both were very well made and well worth the money in my opinion.

If you have specific questions, call the shop and talk to them directly, they were more than happy to answer my questions.
Rob

Post subject: Re: Chris Reeves Knives
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:31 am 

Are all of Strider's knives S30 v steel?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:01 pm 
Members

Not only does he make great knives, he's a great guy. I stopped by the shop one day to look at knives and he spent an hour or more with me, just showing me the operation and talking about knives, business and dirt bikes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:03 pm 
Members

I own alot of custom knives.. the reeves sebenza is as well fit and as sharp as any of them. It only lacks some of the custom fitting, and the cosmetics. I have a one-piece as well, very cool and can't beat a one-piece construction for sturdiness, I think actually it's impossible.

The only downside is Chris' knives are priced about where custom knives begin.. but his are fit better than quite a few customs in that price range.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:44 am 
Members

I too own a Sebenza (small) and have carried it daily for several years now. It's just an overall well made little knife -- although I'm no expert just an end user. Worth every penny, IMO.

Sorry, no experience with his fixed blades, but if the little folder is any indication of their quality I would not hesitate.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:44 pm 
Members

PLCedeno wrote:
Are all of Strider's knives S30 v steel?

There might be some exceptions but I currently have 4 Striders and have sold several others and they were all S30V steel. Awesome knives too BTW....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:55 pm 
Members

I own two Reeves knives. I have one of his new folders. I cut myself with it on a daily basis. It seems like most of the folks that make hard use knives use S30V. MY Merkworx is also S30V.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:30 am 

I have a fixed blade/one piece Reeves knife and it is awesome! Can't imagine a stronger design. I am no expert on knives but I am very impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:57 am 
Members

I had one of the Special forces knives and did not care for the way the handle was done. Just didn't feel right in my hand. Everything else about it was awesome. Beautiful workmanship and this was in no way a bad way to do it, just didn't work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:58 am 

All of his stuff is TOP NOTCH !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:03 am 
Members

They are some of the best in that price point for a production knife. I never had any issues with any of them and some were used hard.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 pm 

I carry a small, original design Sebenza with everyday, S30V blade. I've dug spent bullets out of trees and prepared a full menu for boy scouts with it. It is the best pocket knife.

If you are desiring a heavy duty field and chopping knife - I have commissioned a 52100 (ball bearing) steel, forged field blade that will put any task in its place. I should have the finished work by May 2010. I'll post a few photos here...

Nothing beats a Chris Reeve folder for utility.

Best regards - todd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:35 am 

I carry a Sabenza Classic with me everywhere I go (small version). Usually 80% of the time I am in a shirt & tie, but when I am away from work wearing jeans I always carry the FS version (a little too big for work) but perfect for dress down. Top notch quality thats for sure & the Spyderco's stay in the drawer at home. :mrgreen: