Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:04 am 

I have read a number of comments favoring the pre-70s Colt Gold Cups over the 70 series and am curious why that bias exists.

Is this just a matter of supply and demand???? or is there really a actual difference between the two.

I just acquired a fired but 99% mint and totally stock 70s series National Match which was manufactured in '74 from the estate of the original owner...... and hope I didn't buy a "lemon" in the eyes of most collectors.

I purchased the pistol based on pride of ownership and potential appreciation.... with no plans to make it a "shooter".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:32 pm 

Wow...... 65 views........ and not one post.

This is obviously an item of interest....but not worthy of a post for the LTW lords. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:31 pm 
Members

For someone so new to LTW, perhaps you're not being very patient or are ascribing reasons that don't exist. If you look at the other forums, you'll see that as a whole, this forum has been pretty quiet lately. I looked at your post out of interest, but I have absolutely no expertise or knowledgeable answers to the questions you asked. Probably most of the other viewers of your post felt the same way.

Post subject: +1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:30 pm 

I agree. If I had something to contribute I would. When I look a post like this, it is in hopes of learning something new. I don't believe anyone is holding back. Accurate data is far better than an undeclared guess.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 pm 

I was working on a trade into a 70 series Gold Cup last week and spoke with John Harrison, he mentioned the sight cuts on the 70 series are very limiting.
I don't have a Pre 70s to compare, but maybe that's one of the reasons? (unless the have the same sight cut)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:47 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I don't know about the other guys but I have very limited experience with GC's and don't really know, era-to-era, how the quality was.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:08 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I have no experience with them either, but have access to a pre-series 70 version (circa 1950s sometime) and was interested in seeeing the answer.

JeffVN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:38 am 

I thought the pre-70 GCs had the Accro rear sight, which is a similar cut to the Elliason.

It is also my understanding that the pre-70 GC had an internally lightened slide, similar to old Commanders, presumably to assist in functioning with lighter target loads.

Never been that impressed with the GC. If you did not want to do anything to the gun, I guess that were better than a Govt. for strictly target use. Sights and mounting are too fragile, the wide trigger is too heavy (in weight of the trigger shoe). A hand-fitted Govt. will outshoot a GC with ball-type loads and hold up better. Why pay for extras that need to be fixed eventually ?

Strictly IMHO, only !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:26 am 

I'd also suspect that the Series-70 collet-bushings might prompt one to prefer an earlier version.

Those Series-70 collet-bushings were a GREAT idea - which turned out, in actual use, to be more delicate than anticipated.

Oops.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:08 pm 

OldLawman - Bill Allard, Jim Cirillo's partner on
the NYPD Stakeout Squad. Used a Colt Gold Cup
that Austin Behlert tuned. They were shooting
for real. Allard's Gold Cup had the factory sights
and steel trigger.
Regards,
Lubin