Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:16 am 

Hello
I am sure we all have let one slip through our fingers at one time or another to deeply Regret it later even though we don't like to admit it, from time to time it Happens. That one for me would have been a S&W Model 48-2. A Buddy of mine worked for a Huge Gun shop on the counter sales end and he was my Inside connection. He would call me when ever anything in S&W Revolver's came through there that he thought I would like to add to my collection. He had called and told me a Nice model 48-2 came in to the shop which is a S&W K-Frame K-22 in .22 W.M.R. Caliber. I did not have one of these in my collection and this one had the Optional .22 L.R. Factory fitted cylinder with it. :blink:

He Priced it at $275.00 on the Phone, and it came with the extra cylinder, paperwork and original box. He said it had been shot but very little and still Looked like new. I told him to Place a hold on it and set out to look at it. Once I arrived there, he handed me the revolver in it's box along with a screw driver so I could change the cylinders as you have to Pull The side Plate forward screw to do so, and a couple of Box's of ammo being .22 L.R. and a Box of .22 Magnum along with a Target. I went out to the gun shop range and shot it with both cylinders in it and it amazed me how you did not need to change the sights one bit as the Point of Aim & Bullet Impact was the same between the two calibers. :wink:

I took it without Haggle and was glad to get one as you do not see them come often with Both cylinders. I had the gun about a Year when a Guy offered me almost twice what I had paid for it, and in a Weak Thought less Moment, My Model 48-2 was gone. :rolleyes: It did not take me long to realize I had made a Very Bad decision as I could not locate another one. This was back in 1997 and I have been watching for a replacement ever since to no avail. A Few weeks ago on another Gun Board there was a discussion on the .22 W.M.R. and I saw the gun below in a response from another Poster. He had mentioned that he Preferred his Dan Wesson .22 revolver over it, and if given a chance he would swap it in a heart Beat for another Dan Wesson. I contacted him and asked if he was serious ? He said that he was, but Instead of a Dan Wesson he wanted a S&W Model 2206 .22 Rim Fire stainless Target Pistol. I knew this was not going to be easy so I started searching for one as they had not been made since the mid 1990's time span and most that have them keep them. :roll:

I Located a new in box S&W Model 2206 Pistol on Guns America as trading Fodder to him, Paid for it and sent it to his FFL Dealer. He in Turn sent me the Model 48 with Both cylinders. I had been looking for a 1959 Model as it was the first Year for the model 48, along with being my Birth year and I did not have any 1959 S&W's in my collection. As it turned out, This one Just Barely Made The 1959 Model Year run as it shipped in December 1959, Evidently these .22 magnums were slow sellers as the seril number suggests that it was a mid 1959 time span but I was Pleased that it was indeed a 1959 Gun. Here it is cleaned up with a set of correct Diamond center target grip's I placed on it as it came with Later ones on it. I have shot it with Both cylinders and it shoots at the exact Point of aim as my other Model 48 did. This one will not be Traded off or sold as it took me 12 Years to turn a remorseful move into a rectified one...Let's hear about the One that Got away from You !! :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Very well played, sir. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:25 am 
Members

I would have gladly been they guy to double your money for you on that one. I have made a similar mistake on a S&W recently, let an airweight 44 special mountain gun get away from me. Real tears on my key board as I type this.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:42 am 

Kurt....great story and good dealing as usual for you!! I STILL swear that if you ever fell into an outhouse, you would manage to come out with a pile of GOLD!! :shock: --Best regards in the new year--John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:12 pm 

JR Munsey wrote:
Kurt....great story and good dealing as usual for you!! I STILL swear that if you ever fell into an outhouse, you would manage to come out with a pile of GOLD!! :shock: --Best regards in the new year--John

Hello John
I can tell you in my Teen age Life, I did fall into and Out House, Partying one night with some Good Old Boy's but I sure did not come out of it with any Gold... :mrgreen: Kurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:21 am 
Members

Good Sir, are you willing to adopt, as i see it, the only way I am going to find the stuff you find, and more importantly have the means to acquire what I find, would be to have it willed to me......

:D

house broke, in more ways than one, and I do windows....