Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:03 pm 

Here are a few shots of a new (to me) Colt Detective Special. I got a great deal on it because a police case number is etched into its side. :roll:
Until now, my collection has focused on semi-autos, but I am enjoying discovering revolvers. I have the obligatory J-frame, but I like the steel frame of the DS and the 6th round it carries. As you can see from the pictures, it isn't even much larger than its 5 shot counterpart. Now all it needs is a little love from Ted.
Here are a few pictures:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:29 pm 
Members

Is it just me, or does anyone else here think a LEO who carves up a fine gun adding a case number in a visible spot should be castrated using a woodchipper? This is the second or third I have seen in a month wear a fine gun was desecrated by a moron who could have just pulled a grip and engraved it where it would never been seen, beyond that, why not just log the serial number. There really is no need to case file number a serial numbered object other than laziness.

I was looking at a very nice superposed, with a coin finish receiver that had casenumbers on both pieces of wood, the receiver and the barrels. It took a 5-6000 dollar gun and made it a 600 dollar gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:43 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

I once worked under contract with an insurance company, and believe it or not, if you get your recovered gun back with such damage, they will pay for a restoration. In one instance, the Chicago PD was found to have maliciously and completely unnecessarily etched every surface on a beautiful shotgun - both barrels, stock, forend, and three places on the receiver. They were taken to arbitration and lost, footing the bill for a complete resto on a factory engraved checkered butt skeet 21. The total bill was over $5K in 1980's dollars :shock:

I agree that a simple tag tied to the gun would be sufficient.

Not to worry about the Dick Special though, As my old pal Joe Dirt would say, " That $4it'll buff right out!"

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR