Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Late Swenson
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:01 pm 

Hello All, first post here. I thought some of you might be interested in a recent purchase of mine. A LEO friend of mine was thinning his collection and offered me a deal on a Swenson pistol built for a fellow officer that he had acquired. In researching this gun it has brought up a number of questions. I wish I had the original sales receipt for this gun as it has some interesting features. For one its a lot latter than most of the Swenson guns I see, the B70 frame dates to 1979-81. That this gun has Swensites I assume would put the build as post 1982. How late was Aramand Swenson building guns? When did he pass away? It has a straight mainspring housing with a mag funnel, when did these first appear, was this a latter addition? The funnel isn't smoothed into the fram which suprised me but the finsh matches up with the rest of the gun. There is no Swenson signature in any of the usual places but the original owners name does appear in the usual place on the slide underside and inside the dust cover. This gun has the following features:
Swensite
Stipled slide top
french border
squared trigger guard with checkering
checkered front strap
serrated rear slide face
Bar-Sto Barrel
Swen-Ambi Safety
Any thoughts or observations on this gun would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Late Swenson
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:43 pm 

I don't know the answers to your questions but it sure is cool. 8)

Shootrite Prvt Inst HG, NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:47 am 

That looks like a Smith & Alexander mag funnel. As good a piece of gear it is, I doubt it would have been installed by Armand. It just doesn't fit his look.

Is that safety Swensen-marked?

but a very nice gun, and a piece of early 1980s history.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:42 pm 

Thank you for the comments. Having studied up on this gun some more I agree the mag funnel is a Smith & Alexander stainless piece that was a latter addition, the stock magwell was beveled as one would expect it to have been. I wish I had the original piece. The color matches up with the hard chrome almost perfectly. I think I will replace the Smith & Alexander piece with a colt gold cup piece as that would be more in keeping with how this gun was originally put together. I had time to put some rounds thru this pistol: Function was flawless with surplus tmz hardball. Intrinsic Accuracy far exceeded my skill level, I made a few ragged one hole groups, this pistol is capable of at least 2" 25 yd groups, likely better. I used this gun for a few days as my CHL carry pistol, just so that I could say I did, and felt well armed indeed. When it came time to clean this gun I was impressed, bushing fit-up is TIGHT. Certainly a well fitted gun. To say I'm happy with this gun is an understatement

And yes the safety is a swenson marked piece