Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 am 

Hello
I came across this neat K-22 recently and it had to come home with me. It was made in June 1956. It is Not Model stamped as they started the Model stamped series in 1957. It also is a Four screw variation which came after the upper side plate screw was dropped in late 1955. Threfore, it makes this variant a one year window of production as most other Four screw variants had the MOD. 17 stamped into them. It is shown with it's original Box, Paperwork & tools. Oddly it has the early Post-War style Speed hammer of upswept design in it, showing that S&W did not waste any part's if they could be used in later produced guns. It shipped to the Shapleigh hardware company of St. Louis, MO in June 1956 and was Logged into their stock in July 1956. Shapleigh was a huge S&W wholesale stocking dealer at that time. Finding one's like this with even the original sales Reciept is getting tougher these days....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 am 
Nice find Kurt.

--md

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:41 pm 
Members

Saw one at the Orlando Gun show last weekend. Fair condition at the most, way over priced.

Like to find one like you did. I am a seeker.

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:20 am 

Tonyt wrote:
Saw one at the Orlando Gun show last weekend. Fair condition at the most, way over priced.

Like to find one like you did. I am a seeker.

Tony

Hello Tony
Lately the K-22's are Red Hot as far as Buyer Demand goes. They do not make them like this any more and never will again, so that Forces the retail prices to the moon. I wanted this one due to it's very short window of production and the fact it is not model stamped makes it very unique as most Four screw variations were model stamped through their production life. This one was not cheap at a Grand, but in the condition it is and with all the extra's it came with, set's it alone compared to most that want $750.00-850.00 for theirs with just the gun and even some with Holster burn's on the side's of their barrel's at these escalated prices lately of which I Deem those guns as shooter grade, not collector quality....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:23 am 
Members

Am I reading that original receipt correctly......$40? Ugh!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 am 

$40, in 1956, adjusted for inflation, would be $320.

For that fit, finish, blue and performance, i'd clean out the bank for K-22s at $320 each.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 pm 

I'm not 100% sure, but it doesn't appear that the officer in the pamphlet is familiar with Mr. Weaver.

This is a beautiful find. I'm with Mr. Sweeney on this one, $320 after inflation?...time to clean out the savings.

First post by the way. I am in absolute awe of the talent, creativity, and insight found in these pages.