Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dad's Colt Cobra
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:07 pm 

I have a great many memories of growing up in a banking family. A couple of the most vivid revolve around a couple of Colts that were kept at the bank in case things happened to go awry. One of those is a wonderful Colt 1917 that I've also posted about on these forums. The other, a Colt Cobra that was kept in my Dad's top-left desk drawer, under a wooden pen and pencil tray.

The Cobra shown below was that gun, and has seen very little shooting. I think Dad bought it, loaded it and put it in the drawer without ever firing it. A practice which I strenuously discourage, but my father was not a handgun buff. The box of ammo in the pictures is the very same box that he purchased along with the revolver. It's still full.

When I was in high school, a buddy and I bought a box of .38s and took it out to the "north farm" to shoot it. We went over the edge of a draw and blasted away without any hearing protection. We never wore any back then and I think that single event is probably to blame for the hearing loss I now contend with. It was the first time I'd ever shot a center fire handgun and I believe was the only time until I was in college.

It really brings back memories for me... almost bringing me to tears, and I'll swear I can smell Dad's pipe smoke whenever I take it out of the safe!

Post subject: Re: Dad's Colt Cobra
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 pm 

Gorgeous little Colt Mark! I have a very soft spot for these myself! I'm glad that you still have these two family heirlooms (and BTW...good to see you on here again "Banker"!). Best regards--John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 am 

Thanks JR! It's been a long time since I've had anything "post worthy" to share!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 pm 

By the way Mark...I meant to comment on the beautiful 1917 photo and got sidetracked. If you want some basic info for these two Colts, I'd suggest calling Colt's Customer Service and try to speak to Kathy Grega if possible. She used to check serial numbers for me all the time and was very pleasant to deal with. Might not be able to give you a lot of info, but she can usually tell you the date of manufacture and possibly when/where it was shipped right over the phone. -John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 am 

Thanks! I'll give her a call. I'd really like to at least know the basics.