Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:44 pm 

If you look long and hard enough in pawn shops you may get lucky.
I wanted to post photos of these two pistols, but I don't have any storage space on a "public server". I'd be happy to email resized photos to anyone who requests them, and maybe someone can suggest a "public server" I can post them on then load them to this website.The first pistol is a Series 70 Govt. Model that is hardchromed, has French borders on the slide, matted top on the slide, and most all the other Swenson signature touches.This pistol also has a Bobcat slide,barrel, and guide rod bushing that appear to be matched to the same frame as the full size 1911. The 4 1/8" barrel that was with the Bobcat slide is unusual in that one of the top locking lugs has been machined off, but as far as I can tell it locks up tight in the slide (maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can comment on this modification).The Bobcat slide is missing the barrel bushing, guide rod, and spring. The second Swenson is a comp gun built on a Combat Commander frame with a Wilson barrel/comp. The slide on the second gun is blued, and it has most all of the Swenson signature touches. All three slides have an "M" stamped on the second lug holding the S&W K frame sight base, and the Combat Commander frame is also stamped "M" at the top front of the trigger guard so I guess they were made for the same person. Hope to show some pictures soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Looks like Swenson’s work to me. :wink: Too bad the bushing, guide rod, etc. is missing from the Bobcat slide.

What are they looking to get for the guns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:30 pm 

I bought them from the pawn shop owner a few months ago as soon as I saw them in the case. He said that a local man had passed away and his son brought them in to sell, not pawn, so he bought them from him. Have you ever seen a Bobcat barrel that had one of the top locking lugs machined off? Why would this be done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:42 pm 

I have heard of this modification, but it was a long time ago. It had to do with slide to barrel clearance. It was either allowing the barrel to tip enough to feed or unlock properly, or it was to allow the slide to come back farther. Wish I had paid more attention then, instead of rolling my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:44 am 

With the shortened slide, the front barrel locking lug is removed to allow the slide to move rearward normally without bushing impacting the front barrel lug. For example, the Colt Commander with 4 1/4" barrel uses a short bushing to avoid impacting the regular two lug barrel. The Officers Model has a larger barrel diameter toward the muzzle, with a different/large diameter bushing which gives room for the slide to cycle without impacting the barrel lug. Various non-Colt guns with the shorter slides use a bull barrel, which accomplishes the same thing, as they have no bushing to impact the barrel lug...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:22 pm 

Nice catch! That's the kind of "French Border" (inset outlined panels) that I remember. Removing the front barrel lug was common on the chopped guns back in the day. Swenson, Sheldon, Ciamillo all did it. Probably others, too. The M-15 General Officer's pistol (Rock Island chopped 1911A1) also was done that way.