Visit us on facebook

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: New Shoes for my BUG
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:59 am 
Members

Please excuse me if this is the wrong spot for this entre.
I frequently carry what is called a BUG (back up gun), i.e., a Walther PPK (American) .380, as a pocket weapon.
The standard black plastic grips that came with the new S/S gun appear now (albeit after 23 years)to be showing
some wear, and most likely have a NEED to be replaced.
The Houge and Nill grips that I have seen seem to be a bit thick. I have concerns about "binding" as well.
Is there a GOLD standard maker out in the world that manufacturers a high quality and not overly thick replacement set for this often carried and rarely fired piece?
As always,... I defer to superior knowledge that may be found herein.
Except in matters of single malt, great Jazz and beautiful ladies. :lol:

Ari Ariel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 pm 
Members

I'm not sure what "gold standard" means to you, but I can heartily recommend a set of Herrett Cocobolo grips. I purchased a pair for my .32 cal PPK a few months back from CDNN for $30 or so. They are absolutely beautiful. I think these will also fit the 380 PPK. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/wappchcobogr.html

I found them to be acceptably thin. The pistol feels better with these stocks than either the plastic ones that came on the pistol or the Pachmayr "Presentation" grips that the previous owner also supplied. I never really understood how a rubber stock could be described as anything close to "presentation" but whatever.

Herrett also makes some very nice Cocobolo stocks for the BHP. Very good quality for the price.

-Matt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:19 am 
Members

Thank you for your information.
What I meant by the "Gold Standard" is likely based on "informed subjectivity".
I automatically assume, based on past workmanship and my own personal experience that Craig Spegel or Esmarelda, or Blumagnum are going to be the ultimate in hand crafted stocks for large, medium or small frame revolvers, and a wide selection of autos.

Ralston at Five Shot, DelFatti, Garrity, Alessi, Ritchie, Rosen, Kramer (in no particular order or degree of skill or offered quality) and a handfull of a few others, are the "Gold Standard" of holster and accessories makers. *Note: I may have missed your favorite. Do NOT challenge me to a duel. I cheat. A lot.

My PPK requires the wrap around the rear of the grip work that usually presents a somewhat thicker stock set.
I have seen the German Nill product and find it grossly overpriced for the quality and fit. For MY taste, It is not even the "Copper standard."
Hogues that I have seen appear to be mising the mark in fit.

I am probably continuing my life long habit of seeking something that does not exist, and bruising my gourd (again) in the process.
Thank you for indulging me. If anyone herein does know of a grip maker that makes wrap around super delicious, lo cal, non-fat, high quality grips for a Walther PPK(American)that will not bind the trigger, hammer or slide, please zap me the intel.

My regards and thanks,

Ari 8)