Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 pm 

Scot Semmens wrote:
Thanks for the book advice, I'm ordering both as we speak!

Scot

I'm glad I found this information. I've ordered, received, read and enjoyed Mr. Sweeney's book. And I'll likely get Mr. Kuhnhausen's books, vol.'s 1 & 2.

Would anyone here recommend Mr. Clawson's book, and if so, which edition? The earlier editions I've found for sale online command the highest prices and none are inexpensive. Thought I might ask here first, before seriously considering paying such a hefty sum for a book (I've seen prices from $175 to $600, which at the top end is too rich for my blood).

Lastly, I'm very interested in reading articles, new and older, that highlight CT Brian's custom work through the years. I thought I might call American Handgunner and request a search of their database for any older articles. Any tips on another magazine that come to mind, which may have covered his work, will be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,
mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:59 am 

Clawson is great, if what you want is the minutia of markings, serial numbers, variations, etc. for building a collection. Through him you can get history, but there it is like reading the Federal Register to learn US history. I don't think he's going to be much help in custom gun research, etc.

Might I also plug my hardcover; The 1911, the first 100 years.

Oh, and hang around this forum. There's a lot to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:58 am 
Members

If your looking for a custom gun book check out The custom government model by Layne Simpson.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:22 pm 

gj47 wrote:
If your looking for a custom gun book check out The custom government model by Layne Simpson.

"gj47" and Mr. Sweeney,

Thank you both for your help. I appreciate the tip on L. Simpson's book and will look into it. And Mr. Sweeney's book (the newer hardback with beautiful photos and superb narrative) is already becoming well thumbed and dog-eared, and is placed among my favorites for ready access before I drop off to sleep. Lights out around here often find me with drooping eyelids and enjoying another sentence or two from Mr. Sweeney's work. Kudos for a wonderful book! Happily, my wife and I each have our own reading light or I would be too often, "in the dark." Which I probably am, anyway! :-)

kindly,
mike