Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:06 pm 

I'm a carbon steel / blued kind of guy. But alas, I'll be picking up a stainless Commander because it's just what I've been looking for...except it's stainless.

Therefore, I'm pretty "coating ignorant" as of the past few years. Seems like Ionbond is pretty popular but not sure how it's holding up or if it's still available. Is it different than Black-T (which was really popular before my carbon fetish took over). Others? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:36 pm 

I have 2 1911's that have been IonBonded. A stainless steel Combat Commander and a stainless framed Caspian Arms. Both are full custom 1911's. I think IonBond is the best black finish for firearms...PERIOD! I even have a custom S&W model 22 .45acp revolver that Heirloom Precision did for me in IonBond. It wears great, holds up to my sweat(no rust)! I can't comment on Black T. My next custom 1911 will be worked on by John Harrison and it too will be finished in IonBond.

Check out the gallery on John Harrison's website. My Stainless Combat Commander is at the top left 2 pics. It still looks that good too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:01 am 

How about Cerakote or blackened stainless?

Is blackened stainless basically a "blued" stainless gun? Does blackened stainless wear similar to a carbon steel blued gun? I'm sure rust protection not as good as other, but I've always liked the way blued guns look when "worn" a bit.

Any have pix of or experience with these finishes?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 pm 

Do you have same recommendations for a wheelgun or would you recommend something different for those?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:45 am 
Board Member
Board Member

My limited ownership experience with spray-ons or spray-and-bakes is that they will not hold up as well on a stainless gun as they will on a carbon-steel gun. They need to go on over a fresh Parkerizing job to get the maximum lock-in, and stainless does not Parkerize. So, any of the spray-ons that are going onto bare stainless, my opinion and experience is that it's not going to hold up extremely well.

The only two ways I've used to blacken stainless are Ion Bond and a process called chrome sulphide (or is it sulphate?). CS is simply a bluing for stainless-- it converts or stains the metal. It holds up as well as bluing on a carbon-steel gun, maybe a little better. The other is Ion Bond, and it is by far the better of the two in terms of durability, plus the fact that it's harder than hard chrome.

Any more I don't know who is doing the CS finish anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:37 am 

Thanks Ned!

Anyone know who still does CS or bluing stainless?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 am 

I think Robar does CS on stainless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:28 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Not for several years last I knew but when they did it they did it very well. Maybe they are doing it again-- hope so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:25 pm 

See:

http://www.robarguns.com/additional_finishes.htm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:51 am 

Anyone have any experience with Robar's blackened stainless treatment -- especially on a revolver? Love to hear some feedback!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 am 
Board Member
Board Member

IonBond DLC is my go-to durable black finish. Think of it as black colored hard chrome and you'll have a pretty good idea.

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 am 

John Harrison wrote:
IonBond DLC is my go-to durable black finish. Think of it as black colored hard chrome and you'll have a pretty good idea.

Hi John! Is it more slick and shiny, like chrome? Never seen finish in person. How is there turnaround and quality control these days?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:19 pm 

hoser wrote:
John Harrison wrote:

Hi John! Is it more slick and shiny, like chrome? Never seen finish in person. How is there turnaround and quality control these days?

Hoser,

Here are a couple to look at. First one is matte IonBond, and the second is with polished flats. I've seen both of these pistols in person, and the finish is very nice. I can't speak to the turnaround or QC questions, as I have no experience with that.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9032

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9051

Justice Hugo Black

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:58 pm 
Members

I've sent several pieces to Ionbond in the last few months and the turnaround has been pretty good. The QC has been very good for me.

www.jttimmonscustom1911pistols.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:15 pm 

Scott Butterfield wrote:
hoser wrote:
John Harrison wrote:

Hoser,

Here are a couple to look at. First one is matte IonBond, and the second is with polished flats. I've seen both of these pistols in person, and the finish is very nice. I can't speak to the turnaround or QC questions, as I have no experience with that.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9032

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9051

Love polished flats! May have to look into that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:45 pm 
Members

Armor tuff by Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:02 pm 

hoser wrote:
Do you have same recommendations for a wheelgun or would you recommend something different for those?

Any different suggestion for a magnum S&W revolver? Does blast from 41 mag or 44 mag change recommendations? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 am 
Board Member
Board Member

In my mind that is not cause for a change in recommendation.