Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am 

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am looking to have a second Colt 1911 done by Heirloom Precision. I have three young children. I am having one built for each of them. The first was a series 70 100 years of service. It was done by Mr. Yost in the Signature Series. I would like some advise on which Colt I should get for the 2nd gun. I can probably convince my wife to buy me the stock gun for Christmas (but she will not know what happens to it from there), so I would appreciate the input!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm 
Members

Assuming you still have two guns left to buy why not get one blued and one SS S70 repro without the 100 year markings?
You would then have 3 Series 70 Colts, the same but different. I can't think of a better base gun for this sort of project.
You might have a hard time tracking one down before Christmas though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:07 pm 

Thank you Carrots. That is a very good suggestion. Maybe I do not have many choices other than finish and "words." Does anyone think the 100 years of service will be significant in several years?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:08 pm 
Members

You're welcome.

I am not a collector and so I won't comment on the potential value of the anniversary roll mark somewhere down the road. But there is no question that a custom built on a Colt is most always preferable for an heirloom grade gun.

Another option for a nice trio would be to have one Government model, one Commander, and one Officer size gun built. Or one made with blued Carbon steel. one with silver stainless and one with LW alloy?

It is a nice "problem" to have.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:35 pm 

I recently sent a gun into Heirloom. I asked Jason which gun to get for the bulid. He said get a 70 series colt and dont think twice about it. I found one nib on gunbroker and grabbed it. It was blued not stainless and no 100yr roll mark. It is gonna be a signature build also.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:42 pm 

Ken Hoddinott wrote:
He said get a 70 series colt and dont think twice about it. .

Not to put words in his mouth, but I'm pretty sure Master Chen would agree! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:27 pm 

Alright, my decision is here. I decided on a MK IV Series 70 100 year in stainless. This one I am sending to Mr. Burton. I like my decision!