Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 70 into 80
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:06 pm 
Members

This is probably the worst time to ask a question since everybody is at the SHOT, but I'll ask anyway. If one has Series-70 Colt, how hard is it to add a series 80 firing pin safety to it? Common sense would dictate to just get a series 80 Colt, but I already have some work put into that pistol, it would be hard to recover the cost during a sale.

Post subject: Re: 70 into 80
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:55 am 

With no offense intended - why would you want to do that ?

Most of us prefer the 70 Series lock work, and would choose it over the 80, unless you had to buy new, and the gun was not approved in your state (such as California, as I understand it).

If you are really concerned about it being drop-safe, you can go the route the FBI went with their Springfields - a titanium firing pin and heavy duty firing pin spring.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:42 am 
Members

OldLawman, no offense taken. There could be various reasons for this - for example, a concern for light strikes with a titanium FP. Another reason could be a desire to disable a grip safety - some folks have problems activating it, and some think that having an FP block could be a good thing with such set up.
In my case I'd like to consider adding an additional margin of safety for a specific application. This is not a vote of non-confidence for a series 70, but simply a consideration of additional redundancy that may or may not even matter. Since such things are largely personal and usually lead to a fury of discussions regarding their merits. Since this is a technical forum, I'd like to keep it how I initially intended the question: technical feasibility, PITA level of work involved, possible pricing etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:50 am 

Understood.

I have seen 80s converted to 70s, including welding up the hole for the plunger in the slide.
I suspect the harder part is the machining of the frame after the fact for the levers.

While a talented 'smith can do almost anything (with enough money), you may just hear a lot of "Sell the 70, buy an 80 , and start all over" kind of response. Your cost to go 70 to 80 may be much larger than the cost of starting over.

Good luck, my friend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:15 am 

Ouch, OK, let's look down this path.

You'll have to locate and drill/bore the hole for the plunger in the slide. Then, you'll have to mill the clearance in the frame for the two levers. That will require something like a horizontal mill and a woodruff cutter.

The real pain in the butt? Colt won't tell you what those dimensions are, so you'll have to buy a Series 80 just to measure. If you've bought a gun to measure, build on it.