Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:51 am 

I have a large safe deposit box at our bank. I'm wondering if anyone has had successful experience using his/her safe deposit box for custom 1911 storage. The idea occurred to me when I noticed the humidity & temperature controlled sign in the safe deposit box room.

I suppose I could take the barrel and slide on one visit and the receiver on a second, to avoid taking a complete working pistol through the bank lobby (I'm also guessing I would carry this in a briefcase). I haven't noticed any signs restricting concealed carry in the bank, but I haven't looked for one, having simply assumed that's a given (we're in Texas).

If this is workable, I'm guessing I could easily get 3 CT Brian pistols in the safe deposit box! :-)

Any thoughts from members would be appreciated.

Background--I've been sort of sensitized to banks and guns and never wanted to be in one with a gun (perhaps there's a law about this?). I recall as a kid in the 60's and very early 70's that my dad (now deceased, RIP) had two sawed off shotguns that had been given to him by a friend and Sheriff in Arkansas. At some point during that time (60's-71 or 72), my pop carried these shotguns into a local Tulsa bank in order to meet with federal LE folks (I think he said FBI?) and he registered them. He said he felt a little funny carrying them into the bank, but that was where the registration was taking place--in an office there.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:46 pm 

Here's one problem - what if you want one when the bank is not open ?

Seriously, I am not impressed with bank safe deposit boxes. I caution my clients not to leave valuable papers, like wills, in them. Once dead, the bank will not open the box until the register of wills has issued letters authorizing the personal representative to take control of the deceased's property.

Spend the money and purchase your own safe with dehumidifier.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:07 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I just got a safe from Sturdy Safe. Man it is heavy duty. Sturdysafe.com I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:28 am 
Members

Mike, I've done this myself in a pinch. No legal issues AFAIK, and I just carried them into the bank in a briefcase, went into the holding room, wrapped them in a soft cloth and then put them into the box. I didn't see the need to declare that I was storing unloaded pistols to the bank staff the same way that I didn't advertise the other treasures that I took in and out of protective custody there. A safe at home is obviously preferable for the reasons noted, and I like the Sturdy brand also, but a box at the bank is definitely better than storage in a draw at home especially if you are out of town for any extended period of time. In my experience guns in banks in Texas is no big deal, and I concealed carried in my local branches without a care in the world. But I freely admit to doing things my own way :lol:

Good luck to you, and look after those Brians :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:14 pm 

Dear Richard, Ned, and others,

Thanks for the help!

kindly,
mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:40 am 
Members

why do you all like sturdy safe vs other brands?

thanks
Bryan