Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ramped Barrels?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:01 pm 
Members

Hi all, I thought I knew the answer but maybe Im mistaken. Does anyone use them? Under what circumstances? Do certain frames require ramped Barrels? Thanks, Nelson

Post subject: Re: Ramped Barrels?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:53 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I have used them vefry rarely and pretty much only when the customer insisted. I just don't feel a real need for them in a 1911 unless you're doing something really drastic.

On the other hand they are still widely used in USPSA guns but that type of gun just has not been on my platter in recent years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 am 

The only reason to consider a ramped barrel is to handle high pressure.

USPSA/IPSC Open guns run .38 Super at near-proof pressures. An Open gun making Major is probably running in the 40,000PSI range, and some shooters use even more marginally-suitable powders that feed the comp the way they like it, running pressures into the mid 40's.

To maintain some semblance of case life, and preclude blowing out a case, which trashes a ($150+) hi-cao/big-stick magazine, they all use ramped barrels.

If you aren't doing that, you really don't need a ramped barrel.

One caveat: some shooters dislike the gouging of the feed ramp on aluminum frames, when fed a steady diet of JHPs. A ramped barrel solves that problem. So does fitting a steel insert into the ramp.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:17 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Hi Nelson,
My experience is with a first generation Kimber(no safety) ProCarry with an aluminum frame. Kimber in their infinite wisdom polished the feed ramp removing the anododizing leaving bare metal. I put 1000 rounds with no ill effect. Ted(HP) did a makeover and the feed ramp was left unpolished so it had anodizing. I carry this gun both on and off duty with now about 3000 rounds through it. I cannot see any appreciable wear to the frame. Of course all have been 230gr standard velocity. Ball for practice and qualification and Federal HS for duty use.