Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I've been working on a Harrison Design thumb safety for some time now. It's intended to be a complimenting design to my slide stop and now finally have one in the prototype stage. I thought I would share some pictures with you folks and see what you thought. It’s somewhat non-traditional in appearance, but to do what I wanted it to do, I couldn’t keep the same old serrated rectangular shelf with a slight bend half-way down the length appearance. I didn’t really want to, either.

Like I mentioned, I wanted it to look like it belonged on the same gun that one of my slide stops did. Past that, I wanted to develop a thumb shelf that was as ergonomic as I could make it. I figured out some time ago that if I could keep my thumb just a little lower in my grip, the better the chances are that I'd get the grip safety depressed during presentation from the holster. I’ve seen so many times where a shooter would draw, aim, flip the safety off and it won’t fire because he didn’t get the grip safety depressed enough to allow the trigger to move. It’s happened to me, too.

So I knew the shelf should be lowered on my safety. Over the years, I’ve tried a number of different designs of lowered shelf safeties. From that really low shelf that came out of Gunsite to the new one from Wilson to a few that I’ve hand-made to customer’s specs. I was never completely satisfied with the feel, operation and appearance before now. Go too low and it didn't feel right and you hard a hard time firing left hand only because the base knuckle of your trigger finger would bump the safety "On".

I had the idea that if I lowered the shelf and rotated it clock-wise a little, that would be the ticket. The combination of dropping the shelf to a mid-point and rotating the shelf, combined with the shape of the shelf and it’s arced curve over the length of the shelf has given me a safety that feels like my thumb is supposed to be there, instead of feeling like my thumb is forced to be there.

I built in some other design features that will be advantageous. The “plate” portion of the safety is thick enough so that the plunger pin rides totally on the thickness of the plate, rather than hanging partially off like some safeties do. This keeps any side thrust from trying to loosen the plunger tube from the frame. I also made sure there was an adequate radius where the shaft joins the inside of the plate, as this is a stress point on safeties and can cause cracks and breakage. I changed a couple of dimensions on the sear blocking lug where the stop point is that arrests the downward swing of the safety, so the installer can fit it to not over-swing and hang off the edge of the frame.

That kind of covers the things that sets my safety apart from it’s competitors. What do you think of the appearance? I know that since it is sort of a non-traditional appearance that will have to be around a while and some folks will have to get used to the look before they get comfortable with it. There is enough material on the thumb shelf to allow the gunsmith to alter the shape to one degree or another and I am really looking forward to getting my initial run of these, so I can test ideas out in that regards. Hopefully, I’ll have these in hand within 4-5 weeks and be ready to add them to my store. Please share any thoughts you have with me as I value your opinion.

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Here are some pics of the safety in the "off" position.

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 pm 

It's a attractive and well thought out piece John... the features incorporated into it are all areas that I'm sure many of us have thought of, but were in most cases unable to do much about. Is there an ambi to follow?

C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:54 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Thanks for your feedback. An ambi is on the drawing table. I hope it's something that can be on the market before the year is out. I'm not a really big ambi fan as I beleive for them to give a good service life, you really need to install and correctly time a stop on the RH half to keep as much torque off of the center joint or the hammer or sear pin with the dovetail, or however you tie the halves together. You can do it with the grips, but then when they get changed out, the stop timing may be all out of whack. SO that's something that I'm thinking on in the meanwhile.

The HD thumb safeties are still on schedule to be available around the end of April. Check back here for more info!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:57 pm 

I'm a lefty... could you tell? :shock:

Although I've tried to run just a righty safety, the process of changing my grip, or worse temporarily loosening my grip to take the safety off, keeps me coming back to ambis. I've got old Kings Gun Works dovetail ambis on most of my carry/defensive guns... I snug up the tongue and groove joints as needed, but even the tightest one still has play between sides.

I guess Wilson, Novak and Lippard all have their own ideas of what works for a "better mousetrap". I've installed Wilson BPs on a few folks guns... I personally can't afford one myself... fixed income and all that, and they seem to be working well with minimal side to side play.
The design still doesn't seem, in my mind, to be the best possible solution. I've considered hex keys, splines and even a threaded end you can clock on a full length shaft... but as I don't have machine tools anymore, I can't experiment.

If you need a lefty to test a new ambi design (in stainless preferably)... I'm easy to find. :lol:

Anyway... best of luck with it. I think you have a big hit on your hands... at least as big as your bitchin' slide stops.

Cheers,
C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 am 
Board Member
Board Member

John, I'm liking the looks of it. The thicker side plate to keep the plunger tube from lifting has been needed, and the lever is hefty enough to jack up a semi. I'll be giving it a try for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:41 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I've received a small batch of carbon steel thumb safeties that are still in the white. They are now listed on the web store and I will sell & ship now, if in-the-white doesn't matter to you. I have more coming and when they all arrive, I will blue the batch. Here's a pic of a group hug. :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:51 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I now have a good stock of both the S/S and the C/S safeties on hand. The C/S still have to be black oxided, which will happen in the next few days. Here are some pics of a Range Officer with both the H-D thumb safety and the H-D slide stop, both Parkerized.