Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:03 pm 

I did a search and perhaps I can already divine the answer from the fact that an EGW or Wilson flat wire recoil spring kit seems to show up somewhat frequently in the posted work orders for many custom pistol builds, but I would still like to hear the positive and negatives of replacing a standard round wire recoil spring with a flat wire spring. I'm all for less frequent recoil spring changes, but is there any other reason I should replace a system I've had no issues with up to this point with a flat wire version? Especially in my current EDC, which is a 4" Bill Wilson Carry Pistol? And do the advantages carry over to the 4.25" Commander size pistols?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

My experience with flat wire springs has been all good but limited to Commander length and OACP's. Have had them from Guncrafter Industries and EGW, have not had one from WC yet but I would be surprised if it was not well done. Sofar (4 years or so) I see everything to gain and nothing to lose except the necessity for a FLGR which I don't prefer, and worse, an odd-sized one (1/4" since the coils are 'wider'). On the other hand I think Jason Burton said no guide rod necessary on Gov't length guns with flat wire springs-- I have not tried one on a 5" yet because to me spring problems start at Commander length. But then if it's good for Commander and shorter it surely isn't bad for a 5".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:42 pm 

Much obliged, Ned. I'm going to go ahead and try the setup in my Compact CQB, and see if I like it enough to carry over into my Commander EDC.