Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:41 am 
Members

I wanted to get some thoughts and feedback regarding Picatinny rails on shotguns.

I am putting together an 870 and wanted to get away from the Surefire forearm light. I have seen two options so far, but wanted to hear thoughts and comments from others that may have gone down this path as well.

The new La Rue LED light has caught my eye. Light output is very high and I expect bulbs will handle recoil much better. I have seen and read way to many bulb failures on the Surefires.

So far, I have seen:

The Sidearmor rail which bolts to the barrel

Or the Surefire system which replaces the entire forearm

I know a few folks here have built or have had built for them some very nich scatter guns so I'm hoping someone has had similar thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:34 am 
Members

Jeff, one more option you might check out if it interests you is a dedicated forend that I believe was developed by Don Lazzerini, of San Jose/Santa Clara, CA PD (retired?). You can view it at CountyComms website - the link is http://www.countycomm.com/shotgun.htm The forend was designed to utilize the popular Streamlight Stinger light, found on many LEO's belts. Agencies can purchase this forend, which is cheaper than a Surefire, and utilize the rechargeable Stingers in them. It's an interesting item. I've heard (and just verified via the website) that San Jose, CA PD has them on their shotguns. If anyone here has any experience with one, pls chime in as I'm curious to read about the reliability and durability of the unit. An AR model is also avail.
Dan's a great guy to boot.
EricO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:43 pm 

I have been struggling with this same thing for a while. The SF light forearm requires the removal of the bayonet lug on my Mossy 590. While the lug is not practical... removal is a PITA and I LOVE that it pisses off the Clintons, Bradys and Pelozis of the world. :)

I am going to go the SF railed forearm route (M70). I'll be using Magpul rail covers, a Viking Tactics light mount, SF light and pressure switch (looking at the new SR07). http://www.supremeco.com.hk/catalog/pro ... 41f42f0fe2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:05 pm 

Wilson Combat makes one too. The thing about these quadrail forearms is this: if you want it to mount a light, don't bother, Surefire makes a lighted forend. If you want it to mount a vertical foregrip, Knoxx makes a vertical forgrip forend. I gotta say, I just don't see the point of having to buy a new forend, a light AND rail covers when you could just buy the lighted forend, but to each his own. I'm currently using a 1202 light/laser module from LaserMax that mounts with no rail or tools in between my extension tube and my barrel. It has constant-on, but I have the pressure switch on the forend. I love it.

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=115

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:18 am 

Kyle E. Coyote wrote:
... Knoxx makes a vertical forgrip forend. ...

Checking Knoxx's site, I do not see that forend. Do you have a link or source. I have been trying for some time to add a vertical grip to my 590A1 AOW.

Thanks in advance,

ML

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:21 am 
Members

I've got the Nordic Components mag. support with rail on it. I use a Surefire G2 with rail mount, wanted Vltor scout but vendor sent me the Surefire on for some reason. Works awesome. Got the Nordic from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... RT%20CLAMP and the light combo from G&R Tactical. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/co ... n&key=G2-P If you want pics, I'll try and put some up later. Or PM me with e:mail and I'll send you some.

Cheers,

Fred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:37 pm 

surefire has now solved the problem. they offer their forend in a new led version....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:23 pm 

Looks great. Too bad it wouldn't work for me. My 590A1 AOW does not have an extended mag.

ML

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:22 am 
Members

Hans Vang of Van Comp has a rail specifically for the Remi in case you want a T-1, H-1 or M-4 Aimpoint.

Jimmy Ward

"FOR THOSE WHO GO IN HARMS WAY,
LIFE HAS A SPECIAL FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 pm 

I have a SureFire railed forend on my 870. I haven't mounted my light yet.