Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:36 pm 
Members

I have an old Ithaca Model 37 police gun, with parkerized finish, factory recoil pad, 20" barrel, extended magazine tube, and a simple gold bead front sight.

Ultimately, I'd love to have a tricked out 870 Police 12-ga., but in the meantime, I'd like to start shooting some 3-gun events locally.

Can anyone recommend a 'smith or company for a few simple mods: better sights (perhaps a tritium front), good sling/mounts, reverse the safety (I'm a southpaw), maybe an action job? Since this is something of a stop-gap measure before buying a higher end shotgun, I'd really like these things to be done fairly quickly, rather than wait a long time for a nationally-known/ranked shotgun builder or smith. If I can get great and fast at the same time, so much the better.

Thanks in advance. I'm in Florida.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:45 pm 
Members

I'm not aware of any extension for the Ithaca that doesn't require fabrication.

The Ithaca after market is slim at best (though Surefire still has forearms for it not listed on their web page).

Good luck. I wouldn't put much on your chances of getting what you want done quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:11 pm 
Members

I just today sent my 870 barrel off to Vang Comp. I was looking for a lot of the same things you are. I have a vented rib barrel and wanted the Tritium front sight. I shoot long guns left handed and they're mailing me a LH safety with RH operator. I'm also getting their barrel treatment with ports and a magazine extension. I think I could've had it all back in a week except the LH safety was out of stock and they ordered one for me. All this is for an 870 though and I don't know what they have for Ithica's. Maybe worth a phone call though, here's a link... http://www.vangcomp.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:58 pm 
Members

Thank you both.

One of my brethren on the 1911forum board suggested that since Ithaca, once a proud name in American gun-making, is now but a memory that I should just leave it as it came from the factory (with a seven shot magazine tube that runs all the way out to directly underneath the muzzle).

Since I paid $105 for it brand new while I was a buck sergeant stationed in Germany, I think that's pretty sound wisdom.

I'll just wind up denting my bank account sooner than I thought for a nice 12 guage with all the trimmings. :D

Best wishes to all for a safe and happy Fourth!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:48 pm 

Brownell's sells a LH safety for the Ithaca 37. Other than that, you're looking at sling mounts and stocks as the main options (and as mentioned above, an old Laser Products (pre-Surefire) Weaponlight foreend). I wouldn't modify your 37 Police. Depending on its condition, it may be collectible.

I have an original, parkerized, rifle sight DSPS I bought new in the late 1970s - it has a wonderfully smooth action and is quite accurate. It is essentially the same as your gun, except that it has rifle sights, Choate pistol grip buttstock, Pachmayr foreend and Sidesaddle (which makes it harder to shoot left-handed). Paid $175, which was a princely sum for a college student - at a time when HS Citations were $125 and Colt 1911s were $150 - oh, and DCM M-1 carbines were $35.

I also have a parkerized 18" barreled 37 with Pachmayr Vindicator pistol grip (infinitely better than the hard plastic pistol grips found on Ithaca Stakeout guns) - plan to mount a Choate synthetic stock (it's an early long ferrule 37, so I may have to drill the stock bolt hole and install the old style stock bolt). Someone added a Remington rifle sight which falls off (unlike the Ithaca sight). The action on this shotgun is way too stiff though, so if anyone knows of a good Ithaca 'smith, let me know.

Everyone has to have an 870. Mine is an original Police model with factory extended magazine, Surefire foreend, Mesa Tactical 6-position M4 high mount stock, GG&G single point sling mounts, optics rail with Aimpoint and Sidesaddle (same problem shooting left hand - you have to leave the last 2 rounds out to have clearance for your free index finger). Came with the factory top folding stock, but the LOP was wrong for me. Since this gun originally came with the Wingmaster chromed bolt, it runs even more smoothly than my DSPS. The only problem is that it is so loaded up with stuff, it must weigh 10 lbs.

Safe also has a Benelli Super 90 M1 Tactical with rifle sights and single point sling and a Mossberg 590A1 AOW. Favorite shotgun of the lot? The DSPS.