Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rem 870 vs Benelli auto
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:31 pm 

Which to choose from for a good defense gun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:52 pm 
Members

T,

For what this is worth...I have both in my home and I really like them both on the range...that being said, it's a no brainer for me...I place all my trust in the 870, not much to think about to get it to work and in the heat of a shoot out I tend to want to focus all of my attention at the targets and not on my weapon.

Jim

PS
The weapons I have are stock and unmodified

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:37 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I have to agree with the Capt. I have an M1Super90 and the ubiquitos police 870. The 870 wins hands down for simplicity under stress. I used the M1S90 for a week long class that required transition training from handgun to shotgun and back. The Benelli performed well but slowed me down as I had to keep remembering all the controls under stress. I switched after day two to my 870.

ED-I forgot to mention that the Benelli auots are load sensitive also. Not so for the pumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:07 pm 

Thanks alot for the info. I have a couple 870's, but have been courious about the benelli.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:22 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I had one at least ten years ago.
It was OK, but I didn't see that it offered anything special. It may have a simpler mecahanism than, say, an 1100, but it also kicked harder, was weight sensitive (be careful hanging stuff all over it if that is your desire), and had more buttons whose function to remember.
Most annoying was the bolt handle, which pulls straight out to field strip, would do just that (pull out) when grabbing and yanking in a hurry.

That could probably be corrected, and the Benelli would have been fine, but I would not consider it superior to anything.

I'd rather have a Browning/FN A-5 or Rem 11 if wanting a recoil operated autoloading shotgun. In fact, I had an A-5 at that time, which led to that conclusion. I got a lot more use out of it.
Someday, I'll make up an A-5 or Rem 11 for house use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:15 am 

I've got both, and I'd say it's more about whether you're used to a pump or an auto than it is about one being better than the other.

My Benelli Tactical has never choked (and neither has its field grade brother), and I've shot almost everything through it (them). Runs fine with trap loads, full house stuff, and Federal Tactical. I was shooting so much at one point that I started using anything I had that said 12 Gauge on the box. During practice I often used several a mixed bag of manufacturers/loads in the same session with no ill effect (I even run a Benelli mercury recoil reducer in my Tactical model).

Obviously the 870 has eaten anything I fed it and never burped.

I've seen examples of both (and others) fail, whether from ammo, operator, old age, or add ons.

Pick what you like and make sure it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:30 am 
Members

For me, the 870 is the go-to weapon while at home YMMV. Why not take a good class if you can? Bring both weapons, you may discover a well run 870 gives up nothing - defensively and practically speaking - to the autos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:34 pm 

I lovve Benellis but for the price it's hard to beat a good 870.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:58 pm 

We have a bunch of 870's from 1970? or so...they are backup SG's and some are dedicated Super Sock guns. 30+ years old and they all run like a top and they have been beat on as police duty guns from early 70's to when they were replaced in 1997 and they still are used from time to time currently. I hear people talk about guns being hard use and ultra reliable and I doubt any can stand the abuse, lack of care, and remain as bulletproof as a Remington 870.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:08 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

For a Home Defense gun Id go with the 870....

Something about the sound a racking it back is so distinct that it scares away most BG's that would be in your house before you even have to leave your room...

I am trying to find 2 or 3 old worn and beaten 870 Wingmasters for projects but have not had much luck... I do not care what the barrel or stock looks like as I am going to replace them both... I just want a couple cheapies!!!

My M1S90 is sitting in the safe and will continue to do so.
Its something I must own as its one of the early HK ones and I am an HK junkie so it will sit in the safe with all my HK's and Glocks that I refuse to sell but never carry now that I have realized a 1911 is as safe if not safer than any of them (I used be think a 1911 was an accident waiting to happen haha) now I am a custom JUNKIE!!! Its all I will carry unless I have to go so small I carry my Rohrbaugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:11 pm 

Another vote for 870.

It's a KISS weapon with available aftermarket parts to boost capacity and it's utterly reliable. Simple to take down and clean when needed. Not load sensitive; you can mix load buck and slug and it'll feed it all assuming you rack the foregrip. Doesn't matter, if rocks could fit the chamber a 870 will cycle it and shoot it.

Aside, gotta buddy shooting an 870 with an excess of 30000 rounds down the tube with mixed loads and it's still going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:12 am 

Quote:
Something about the sound a racking it back is so distinct that it scares away most BG's that would be in your house before you even have to leave your room...

Pump shotguns are great weapons, but I wish we could put this one to rest. Yeah, it might work, but let's be realistic, people face drawn pistols and leveled shotguns or carbines every day and refuse to comply with commands. Don't go into a fight believing that anything less than lead going downrange will stop your enemy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:30 am 
Members

Geraldo wrote:
Quote:

Pump shotguns are great weapons, but I wish we could put this one to rest. Yeah, it might work, but let's be realistic, people face drawn pistols and leveled shotguns or carbines every day and refuse to comply with commands. Don't go into a fight believing that anything less than lead going downrange will stop your enemy.
Man you said it. That particular comment annoys the hell out of me..and is very popular. I'm not trying to jump on anyone here, but I am not going to trust that some BG is going to know/care about racking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:14 am 
Members

I carry both, my issued 870 in a locked rack and a m1s90 in the trunk. Buck shot in the pump and slugs(save one buck) in the auto. I am just as comfortable with the benelli with the operations but it was a learning curve. Having been to school I can say the benelli is a fine weapon and after 500+ rounds buck slug and bird no jams and a sore shoulder I can say with confidence I will and do trust it with my life. Home defense wise the 870 has the scare factor in the bag and, I have seen in more than one scenario the effect the pump has on say a crowd of angry hostile folks as opposed to the clickity noise the benelli makes. And heard a few burglars say the noise induced a near fatal "evacuation" of sorts!! Though nothing drives the point home like an ounce of flying lead. Good topic man the shotgun has a special place in my heart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:29 am 
Members

If you have the $$$ get the Benelli, next would be a Van Comp Shotgun fully decked out.

Jimmy Ward

"FOR THOSE WHO GO IN HARMS WAY,
LIFE HAS A SPECIAL FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW"