Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:24 am 

I'm looking at possibly buying a higher end Tactical rifle in the .300 WSM or .300 Win Mag range Under 4K. So far I've looked at the following:

$2k - 3K: FN SPR A3G, H&S Heavy Tactical, Ed Brown Tactical

$3K - 4K: GA Precision build, Van Dyke build, Tactical Rifle M40 - 300, McMillan Tactical rifle.

I of course want the most bang for my buck I don't want to buy a 4K rifle if the 2K rifle will do just as well.

Has anybody ever handled any of these models and can tell me something about them?

Can you recommend other builders, ones that I may not know about? I googled "tactical rifles" and went through 14-15 pages before I gave up.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Last edited by FROST18E on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:46 am 

Check with Roger David (337) 527-5089 from the Bayou's of Louisiana, he'll build you a very fine rifle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:39 am 
Members

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:14 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I'm sure there are many quality smiths that can build you a "tactical" rifle.

I've venture a bit in the tactical market and frequent several tactical shooting websites. Listening a bunch more than I talk on these sites, there are several rifle smiths that I would send you to for a top quiality custom tactical rifle. Of these smiths I currently own rifles built by two of them.

Patriot Arms, Inc. - Jerod Joplin (I currently own three of his works of art; they shoot far better than I ever will)
KMW - Terry Cross (no web site his is a one man shop) (my current 7 WSM F-Class rifle was built by Terry; incredible.)
GA Precision - George Gardner

They are listed in no particular order.

Terry's order to delivery time is roughly 220 days.

Jerod's about the same, depending upon barrel and stock that you want built out on (McMillan has a 16-20 week lag from order to delivery);

George Gradner is probably a bit faster then either of the other two, as he has several folks working for him in his shop.

I strongly suggest you contact the smith that you choose and talk with them about delivery times, components, and price. It all varries depending upon what you want and what you want to do with it.

JeffVn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:41 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Why not give Yost-Bonitz a call??

I they seem to be great at everything they do!

So far I have a Sig Grade Yost LW CCO, a Big Lewie 45/70 Marlin lever, a Lil' Lewie .44 mag Marlin lever and a 870 12 ga done up by them and all are TOP notch! My next YoBo purchase will most likely be a Scout rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:56 am 

R&D Precision I would high recommend
RDprecision.net
626-806-4389

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:08 am 

I would say Randy at R&D is right up there with GAP and Patriot as well as KMW.

I have talked with Terry, George, Randy and Jerod. They are all great guys, and I have owned a couple rifles from all of them with the exception of Terry, but I do have one in the works with him. Just as a FYI, when you call them, Jerod and Randy will talk your ear off so make sure you have time. Both of those guys go way beyond when it comes to customer service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:10 am 

BTW, I would check out http://www.snipershide.net

That web site is just like LTW when it comes to rifles, the site is ran by the smiths mentioned and you can speak directly with them and get some great ideas from just looking around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:08 am 
Members

I have a GAP "Rock" built in .308 that I would not trade the world for.

Cold bore shot is the same as warm even after I sent it off to be threaded and cut down from 22.5 to 20.5" for my SRT Shadow.

Buy once, buy GAP IMO.

PS. My shooting partner has one in .300WinMag & .308... The story is the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:12 am 
Members

Robar also builds a very nice precision bolt-action http://www.robarguns.com/sr90.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:09 pm 
Members

I have an M40a1 clone built on a USMC trade in stock by GAP. There work is excellent. Mike Bryant also built me very nice rifle along the same lines.

I would have either shop build me rifle in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:41 pm 

ed brown, greg tannell gre-tan rifles, yo-bo, dakota longbow-cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:43 pm 

jd jones and crew at ssk industries can build you a great rifle as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:28 pm 
Members

Another cheap route would be to look into montana rifleman. For 1100 you can pick up a barreled action in whatever caliber you want, whatever barrel length, whatever contour, etc. Then send it off to MPI stocks for a custom fitted action for around 700-800.

I went that route, but it was one of those dumb purchases I made....I bought a .338 lapua magnum. Its pretty much just a bench gun however, 26" #8 contour with a heavy MPI stock....it weighs in at a 17lbs with scope and all. Very nice setup however...extremely accurate.

Unfortunately....I have no long ranges near me, which makes it a dumb purchase. If I had to do it over I'd do a .308 with 24" M24/M40 style contour.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:01 am 

FROST18E wrote:
I'm looking at possibly buying a higher end Tactical rifle in the .300 WSM or .300 Win Mag range Under 4K. So far I've looked at the following:

$2k - 3K: FN SPR A3G, H&S Heavy Tactical, Ed Brown Tactical

$3K - 4K: GA Precision build, Van Dyke build, Tactical Rifle M40 - 300, McMillan Tactical rifle.

I of course want the most bang for my buck I don't want to buy a 4K rifle if the 2K rifle will do just as well.

Has anybody ever handled any of these models and can tell me something about them?

Can you recommend other builders, ones that I may not know about? I googled "tactical rifles" and went through 14-15 pages before I gave up.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Well after much searching and agonizing over the whole ordeal I finally gave George at GA Precision a call yesterday and ordered a rifle from him. I'm using a stock Remmy action on his recommendation because it's looser, than the Lawton and Surgeon actions, for crawling around on the ground and what not. This is the list I chose:

Completely trued Remington 700 short action.
• 22" fluted stainless 5R barrel. 1-11 twist. (Contour 1.200" x 3" st .900 muzzle) Approx #7.
• Trigger tuned to 2.5 lbs.
• McMillian HTG-M40A1 Stock with thumbwheel height adjustment in Desert Camo, Two studs front and one rear Pachmayer decelerator installed.
• Badger Ordinance detachable Magazine system, 20 MOA scope base, oversized recoil lug, and standard 30mm rings.
• Oversized SSG style bolt knob installed.
• Rifle finished in black
• Pillar bedded in Marine-tex.

Now I have to wait about 5-6 months to get my hands on it. That will be enough time to figure out which scope I'm going to put on it. Thinking about a Fixed Leupy MK4 10X TMR reticle with M1 knobs. Or maybe a US optics fixed power ST-10.

Post subject: tactical rifle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:23 pm 

Why not buy a Sako TRG-22 or 42, I have the TRG-22 in 308 and it will shoot 1/4" groups all day, it is a awesome rifle.

kenner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:08 am 
Members

Check out Surgeon Rifles. It seems that they might meet your criteria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:38 am 
Members

Paitriot Arms seems to have a sterling rep, that's very consistent from all the input I've heard over the years and in your price range

depends on what your shooting needs are..?

But I'll agree with Kenner, I've had several SAKO TRGs and all were very effective long range with many features not available on other platforms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:52 am 

Have you considered the Brown Precision Tactical Elite

http://www.brownprecision.com/tactical-elite-rifle.htm

http://www.snipercentral.com/brown.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:05 pm 
Members

That's pretty much the rifle I bought from GAP a ~5 years ago, with the exception that I ordered an unfluted 24" 5R and my McMillan was the A5 w/ cheek adjustment. I've only shot ~ 140 rounds through it; too many home remodeling projects have been keeping me busy, but the only chance I got at a 100yd range were my barrel break-in rounds, which gave me 2 groups under .4MOA and several under .5, with one or two flier groups at ~.7-.8 Everything else was shot at 600yd in two matches, so I didn't get to "see" the targets. You'll be happy with George's work.

I thought you were looking for a 300 WM? "or 300 WSM"... is the WSM short action? ain't that WSM so close to .308 that you might as well shoot the .308 for all it's collected ballistic and reloading data?

If you can swing the US Optics, leave the Leupold behind. It just isn't in the same league. I like (and use) Nightforce on all my long guns.

Have you taken delivery yet? How does it shoot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:25 pm 
Members

Frost, you probably haven't taken delivery yet. But it seems like you spec'd out a rifle I am looking for.

I am very interested in the 300WSM. Is that what you decided to go with?

Also, I see you mentioned certain actions are tighter than others. Is that really an issue with bolt actions when they get dirty?

So here is a bump to see what the update is.

Greyson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:20 am 

I received my USO Scope and sent it off to George. Talking to the young lady in the front office she told me in Mid december that my stock had just come in so it would be about 1-2 more months for the build. So I expect to get a call any day now from GAP. As soon as I get it in I'll post a couple pics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:13 pm 
Members

Oh that subject line had me jumping to see an outstanding rifle, you must be jones'ing by now!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:41 am 

My GA Precision "Rock" is here!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:56 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

That right there is about as fine as a Remington gets! So:

It is a long action, right?

USO scope?

That Badger bottom metal looks great, don't believe I've seen that before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 am 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
That right there is about as fine as a Remington gets! So:

It is a long action, right?

USO scope?

That Badger bottom metal looks great, don't believe I've seen that before.

Short action .308 Win w/ USO ST-10 Mil-dot with 1/2 moa EREK elevation and 1/4 moa M40 style windage. I was a little curious how the Badger bottom metal would look on this type of stock, but I really think it came out looking great. Too bad that the AI mags are about $75 a piece for 5 rounders.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm 
Members

...as someone who is considering a GA Precision build, I've got one question...actually, THE Question...HOW does it SHOOT?!?!... :D ....mikey357

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:36 pm 
Members

I dont think Ive ever heard anyone say anything less than " The damn thing will outshoot anything I will EVER be able to do". In short, they are outstandingly accurate rifles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:57 am 

I've owned three GAP .308 bolt guns and everyone was a laser. I got the gas gun bug and now have two GAP gas guns in .308 built on DPMS LR308 receivers. One is a full sniper/long range precision rig with a Prem. Ret. Heritage 3.5-15X50, GEN2 MD. The second is a utility rifle, 18" bbl with NF 2.5-10X24 FC2 reticle. Both shoot as good as they say. Very happy with every rifle I've had from GAP. My next build will be a GAP Surgeon in .243, .260 or 6.5CM for the long range precision rifle matches. This will be a while down the road. Don't have a second thought about buying a GAP (new or used). Their rifles and their customer service are equally outstanding.

Nick-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:47 am 
Members

Cant go wrong with GAP, KMW, Surgeon. I have owned each and they are all awesome. You can go from basic to extreme with options. Or you can get a basic 700 and send it off as youre able to afford work. You will likely want to have the action trued and blueprinted. New stock (mcmillan or AICS or Manners). Trigger job is probably a good idea. Lots of options. Good luck!