Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AR SET UP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:14 pm 

Hey Guy's,

Has anyone handled a AR with the short gas stroke set up? How was it compared to direct impingement and the over all opinion?

Thanks,

Pete

Post subject: Re: AR SET UP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:53 pm 
Members

Pete Gallo wrote:
Hey Guy's,

Has anyone handled a AR with the short gas stroke set up? How was it compared to direct impingement and the over all opinion?

Thanks,

Pete

LWRC
I don't own but have had some fun with one....Handles the same as a DI gun, just runs cooler and cleaner. Pretty cool, but I'd only have one if I could wipe with C notes....there's just nothing making the DI terribly inferior to the gas piston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:27 pm 

They are all the latest rage but if you aren't running a Shorty, a can or full auto they are of minimal utility. I have to admit that they are great if you don't like cleaning your gun often. Other than that they add very little to a 16 inch gun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:15 am 

Thanks guy's for you input. I did find a coulpe manufactures who will be and already have a conversion/retro kits to change from DI to gas piston set up. It's way cheaper then the uppers being offered on the market. One of which I believe is called Osprey Tactical. There selling to Military/LE only as of now, but will be going on the civillian market shortly... Good "do it your self project''

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:25 am 

http://www.gaspiston.com ck it out if interested.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 pm 

Pete Gallo wrote:
http://www.gaspiston.com ck it out if interested.

There are too many small parts in that unit for my taste. Primary Weapons Systems makes a conversion unit that is less complicated and currently available to civilians. It costs $400 for the system and installation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:04 pm 

Some great advice on the DI vs. SGS. How about the 6.8 Rem cartridge. Anybody have thoughts or had a chance to compare it with the .223 ? I have not had the chance to try the 6.8 and would like to hear some feed back.

Thanks,

Pete G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:22 pm 
Members

Pete Gallo wrote:
Some great advice on the DI vs. SGS. How about the 6.8 Rem cartridge. Anybody have thoughts or had a chance to compare it with the .223 ? I have not had the chance to try the 6.8 and would like to hear some feed back.

I have a home assembled 6.8spc, using upper end parts and it is my favorite rifle. Shoots tacks all day long, has mild recoil and a different thump of a sound when discharged. Highly suggest the improved chamber and 1 in 11 twist for a number of reasons. I will not sell this rifle ever. It's just too bad Remingtion didn't expand upon this cartridge as they could have, this could have been their cash cow.

I highly recommend buying one!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:39 am 

If you anticipate having the gun hanging around your neck all day, you may wish to consider the weight difference. I think the Sig 556 weighs something like 8.5 lbs. where a Colt 6920 weighs about 5.5 lbs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:42 pm 

HK416 10.5" gun with frequent Gemtech suppressor on the front end -- runs great and is, as mentioned above, much cleaner. that being said, my MK18 runs like a champ. i'd say just pick your poison -- quality being equal.

kjo

"We did it for each other."

--- Harvill W. Lazenby, Squad leader, B Company, 505 Regimental Combat Team, 82nd Airborne, WWII--survivor of three combat jumps. One of the great ones that we owe so much.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:16 pm 
Members

From my experience the piston setups don't shoot as accurately as the DI rifles. This can probally be atributed to earlier guns. I haven't had any issues with any of the DI Ar's that I have owned, but now my tastes lean toward Noveske, Larue, and LMT. That being said I don't carry a rifle for a living and I can understand the want/need to have a cleaner more reliable rifle when people shoot at you.